GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened a about 30 minutes ago... I plugged my Volt in after work (about 6:00 PM) with my GE WattStation 240 v charger. At 7:30 PM I received a text on my phone stating that there was a charge interruption and to check on the car.

I went down and tried to unplug and plug the charger back in. No light on the dash lit up, the charging station kicked on, and kicked off again. I did this twice. The red engine light on the dash was also lit at this point. I also started the car, turned it off, and tried again. Same thing. I drove around the block, tried again, same thing.

I called Onstar and they ran a diagnostic. There were 2 codes, both stating to "Service at your convenience" and about their being an issue with the high voltage charging system. The suggested I try plugging the 110V charger that came with the car in to see if it did the same thing. Success! it worked, but now what is wrong with the GE WattStation? It is not showing any red lights, just kicks off shortly after kicking on?

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,883 Posts
What does the GE owners manual have to say, if anything?

Since it's showing no error codes or faults, my guess is a communication issue with the Volt. Make sure nothing is blocking the pins inside the GE handle, also look for dirt, oxidation, anything that would prevent a good connection. Also make sure the handle is "clicked" into the Volt. If the latch is not set, it won't charge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try resetting the breaker on the GE WattStation. Turn off the breaker, leave it off for 10 seconds or so to reset the electronics, and then switch the breaker back on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A couple of times I have had the car stop charging properly after being in a heavy rain. When this happens, the 110v EVSE was able to charge the car sooner than my GE Wattstation. It is undetermined whether this was due to the car being wet or due to power instabilities in the power to the house due to the storm.

You could have a completely different issue. But just because the 110v EVSE works and the GE Wattstation doesn't, this doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with the GE Wattstation. It's a clue, but nothing difinitive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My hypothesis is that something is wrong with the 240V side of the charger in your car. To prove or disprove, you will need to try a different L2 charger.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check the fusses in the watt station if a reboot does not work.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have the same problem with a SPX Power Xpress. The pilot signal fails randomly. The 120v SPX that came with the car is fine. I suspect high humidity makes it worse.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Sounds like an AC voltage fluctuation. I'd try another L2 at a different location to rule out an onboard charger issue.

A couple years ago, I had a voltage difference between each 220v leg and neutral caused by a bad neutral connection at the pole transformer. Raised havoc with all my electronics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone! Today I stopped by the Chevy Dealer to try another L2 charger, worked fine. They also cleared the code which is always nice to NOT have a light on my dash.

I called GE technical service line. They are FedEx'ing me a new charger. They think it is a little odd that it didn't throw a fault light, but its not unheard of. They think it probably had something come loose inside which is causing an internal fault. They will ship it to Louisville for diagnostics. I cannot tell you how nice they were. Did not even try to give me a hard time about it.

Good thing is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE VOLT! Whew! Now I just have to use the 120V charger for a day or so, which means I may have to use some gas! I hate that!

Thanks again to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts