GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was driving home today, going uphill; I didn't realize how close to the sun I've come! Suddenly, my Volt slowed down and alerted me that I was about to hit something! If it didn't stop me, I would've certainly collided with the sun.

See here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AitPmhx8GdENhOp6cJU3k1y1vwQkVA

In reality. I heard a beep, felt my car slow down and thought: "Ah ****, my car is having issues and I'm about 2hrs away from home". It was sort of a relief, and annoyance, that it was a false-positive on the collision warning. First time that happened to me. Almost certainly the glare of sun blinded the forward camera, causing it to malfunction.

In other news. I saw 4 Volt's and a Tesla Model S today! In this red state called Nebraska, it's really rare to see EV's. There's only one Tesla super charger and very few J1772 charging stations in Nebraska. The worst part is that single super charger is actually in Iowa!

PS: Yes, I was listening to Coheed and Cambria. :cool:
PPS: The dash cam I use. (Wouldn't recommend it)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Don't sweat the false positives. You can always re-engage cruise control. It's the false negatives you need to be concerned about.

KNS

·
Registered
261 Posts
While I was driving home today, going uphill; I didn't realize how close to the sun I've come! Suddenly, my Volt slowed down and alerted me that I was about to hit something! If it didn't stop me, I would've certainly collided with the sun.
Icarus wasn't so lucky. Too bad he didn't have a Volt!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, the sun can really mess with electronics relying on detection. I've had radar detectors sound off a laser alert on an empty mountain road(not the kind of road a cop would deploy laser). All because the sun was setting and I was pointed uphill towards it, much like in your video.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I had a false-positive from headlight glare bouncing off a metal construction strip across a 30 mph road. ACC not engaged at the time. It actually applied the brakes pretty hard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can certainly relate to this. It has occurred to me quite a few times due to my east-west direction commute. The funny thing is that I'm so used to it now that it's a reflex for me to press the resume button when it happens. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts