GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a member here since 2008, and a Volt fan since it was unveiled at the NAIAS in 2007. I was an early hand raiser, and even bought one of the early gm-volt.com t-shirts to support the cause. I wasn't able to get a first generation Volt due to cost, but instead, settled on a Nissan LEAF which turned out to be an amazing car, despite its limited range and rapid battery degradation. Finally in 2016, I was able to get my hands on a beautiful red 2017 Volt LT with light ash interior, Bose sound, and Comfort package.

But since leasing the car, I've experienced a number of issues:

1) Burning smell when gas engine runs.
2) No remote detected and TPMS failure.
3) Whistling noise from passenger side.
4) Rattle, dashboard behind infotainment screen.
5) Squeak, drivers side door.
6) Clicking noise when turning steering wheel in cold weather.
7) Clunking noise in rear hatch.
8) When cold, slight surging once per second when creeping forward
with brake slightly applied.
9) When cold and after coming to a complete stop from higher speeds
(40MPH), pressing the accelerator intermittently produces a slipping
feeling.

Many of those issues were resolved. Some were ignored since the dealership couldn't reproduce the problem. But one particular issue plagued my car (and others here), and it's the brake position sensor / retainer clip problem, resulting in no cruise control. The dealer attempted to fix the issue first by replacing a sensor/switch. That repair failed to fix the issue. When I returned the car, they ordered a part (retainer clip) and that took over 30 days to arrive. On my third visit, they installed the clip. That seemed to fix the problem.

Then, just this morning as I loaded up my car with camping gear about to make a 5 hour trip, my car refused to start. It kept telling me to press the brake to start, but even though I was pushing the brake, it was as if I wasn't. I tried doing the standard fixes for weird issues like this (open/close the doors, get out of keyfob range and back in range, even disconnected and reconnected the 12V battery as a sort of hard reboot). Nothing would bring the car back to life.

So I had to call AAA and have them tow it to the dealership for a 4th visit and 3rd repair attempt.

This has not been a pleasant experience. I've lost count of the times I've been to the dealership for all of the above issues. I've reached out to GM requesting dispute resolution over this issue, and have asked that if they are unable to fix the vehicle with this latest repair, to initiate a buy back (lemon law).

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1611-23885--,00.html
Michigan's Auto Lemon Law
The law applies to privately owned passenger vehicles and those leased after January 1, 2000, used for personal, family or household purposes. Some business-type vehicles may also be covered. The law does not apply to larger trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, or off-road vehicles.

A defective vehicle is one in which the same problem has not been repaired after four attempts, or a vehicle that is out of service 30 days or more for repairs. The first report of the defect must be made within one year from the date of delivery to the original purchaser or lessee or during the term of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever period is shorter.

If the vehicle you purchase is defective, you may be entitled under state law to replacement of it or a refund of the cost of the lease. To obtain replacement or refund, you must first report the defect in writing to the manufacturer and you may be required to first arbitrate the dispute.

In order to protect your rights under Michigan's Lemon Law, follow these steps:
Keep copies of all correspondence to and from the manufacturer and the dealer.
Keep copies of all work orders for repairs on the vehicle, including the date(s) the work was performed and the mileage on the vehicle at the time of the repair(s).
Follow all requirements of the warranty, including any requirement that the repairs must be done by an authorized dealer specified by the manufacturer.

For more information regarding your rights under this law, consult an attorney or another qualified individual.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Maybe I missed it but when you escalated your concerned to a regional/Zone managers what was their response?

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are 4 2017 Volts in my family. My dad has one. My uncle has one. I have one. My daughter has one. How can GM build 4 perfect Volts.....no issues what so ever..... perfect cars! Maybe they just put all the nit picky problems in one car. Your story does seem a little strange. Why did you call AAA? Your car is under warranty. If I called my dealer he would have brought me a loaner on a flatbed and loaded my Volt to take it in. Did you forget that you had a new car and didn't have to call anyone but the dealer?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I know here in NJ the Lemon Law applies to defects that affect the "safety, use, or value". Whether your cruise control problem rises to that might be up to a judge to decide, if there's a similar provision in Michigan. Your number 1 is normal, and number 9 is probably just the symptom of blended regenerative braking? 8 is hard to say, but that's a strange use of the brake pedal when you want to be stopped.

This morning's problem is obviously annoying and aggravating, but I'm wondering if it's related to the cruise control problem / brake sensor.

Have you considered asking your dealer to help get you into a replacement car (this goes through GM's area service rep, which goes to Bazinga's question)? If you go lemon law, the dealer gets one more go at fixing everything (final repair attempt), and if they're successful you probably won't prevail in a lemon law hearing. If you get a lawyer, all other possibilities stop as far as things GM can do to help, and their legal department takes over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The very low speed pulsing you feel is normal, and can happen at all temperatures. Electric motors have poles. You can even see this with variable speed DC small devices or RC cars.

Not really clear what you mean by the accelerator slipping. Perhaps you are referring to when the Regen shuts down during ABS situations?

Sorry to hear your troubles. Knock on wood, our 3 Volts have been reliable for these past 4 years.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with your car. We have a 2011 MY which has been flawless except for one warranty repair involving noise from the brakes (not a safety issue) and the rather silly recall for the battery coolant. Hope things are resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Have you contacted GM for a Volt certified dealership? Not all Chevy dealerships are created equal with a lot of bad dealerships that can't reliably change a flat tire. Usually when you see this type of repeated visits the issue isn't the car but an incompetent dealership service department.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Among your numbered complaints, #1 is a well known issue that has been discussed at length on this forum many times, and one that once owners understand the source of and the extent of the issue, they are generally accepting of; #7 is also well known and has a well known simple fix discussed many times on this forum; #8 frankly seems trivial; 3-6 all seem like the same complaint (noises) and might also be trivial and/or common to cars in general, depending on how sensitive you are to them. I assume #2 is among the items that were fixed, since it seems like an easy one.

The only complaint you have that is (to me) obviously significant is the issue around the brake switch (resulting in loss of cruise control and probably also the no-start). It seems to me that might also be affecting if/when your brake lights are illuminated, and if so, that is a safety issue as well. GM needs to get that straightened out. I suspect it is a matter of getting a replacement for a minor part installed correctly. If GM can do that, I think your case for a buy back is unlikely to have much traction.

However, it is unfortunate that you have not been happy with the car. Maybe I am mis-reading how serious some of the items are. Most people are very happy with these cars and as an experienced EV owner, I would think you would be a good match for this one. I hope you either get your issues solved, or you get out of the car in a way that makes you happy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, dealer gave me the car back and the repair was again related to a brake position sensor failure, as I suspected. Car is now working again and GM is moving forward putting me in touch with a senior advisor. Not sure where that will lead, but if it fails again, I'll send a certified letter to GM informing them of the issue.

Another problem to add to my list- Android Auto crashes after a few minutes when the head unit is hot (generally lasts about 1-2 minutes and crashes). It seems when it cools down it works just fine. I'm going to rule out my phone and cable as an issue first before I take it in again. I also got a letter that there's a service advisory for a reprogram, so maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Among your numbered complaints, #1 is a well known issue that has been discussed at length on this forum many times, and one that once owners understand the source of and the extent of the issue, they are generally accepting of;
Burning smell was fixed (or worked around) with a carbon cabin filter. I'm satisfied with this fix.

#7 is also well known and has a well known simple fix discussed many times on this forum;
The clunk was due to my trunk pack not being correctly installed from the factory so it was just flopping around in the back. The push pins were sitting loose in the wells and I just pushed them in and that seems to have fixed the issue. That's a quality control issue- cars shouldn't leave the factory unassembled.

#8 frankly seems trivial;3-6 all seem like the same complaint (noises) and might also be trivial and/or common to cars in general, depending on how sensitive you are to them.
All NVH issues are trivial, but I don't accept them on a $35,000 new car. Volt should be (and is for many people) a much more refined vehicle than that.

I assume #2 is among the items that were fixed, since it seems like an easy one.
The issue happened 3 times. After the second time, I took it in and they weren't able to reproduce the issue. It came back once in maybe 3 months and was fixed with a reboot, so it wasn't something I wanted to waste my time with a service visit on.

The only complaint you have that is (to me) obviously significant is the issue around the brake switch (resulting in loss of cruise control and probably also the no-start). It seems to me that might also be affecting if/when your brake lights are illuminated, and if so, that is a safety issue as well. GM needs to get that straightened out. I suspect it is a matter of getting a replacement for a minor part installed correctly. If GM can do that, I think your case for a buy back is unlikely to have much traction.
It's not as simple as just replacing a part. It appears the bracket or retention clip that holds the position sensor in place may have had a design flaw and had to be redesigned, and even after getting the redesigned part (took over a month to wait for the part), it's still failing or somehow causing the sensor to fail.

However, it is unfortunate that you have not been happy with the car. Maybe I am mis-reading how serious some of the items are. Most people are very happy with these cars and as an experienced EV owner, I would think you would be a good match for this one. I hope you either get your issues solved, or you get out of the car in a way that makes you happy.
A no-start scenario on a car that has 8000 miles on it is a serious issue. Repeatedly going in for the same repair is annoying and inconvenient. I no longer can trust this particular car for long trips, which is where this car stands out against my previous car, a Nissan LEAF.

On paper, the Volt is a perfect car for me, and I'm sure a reliable Volt would still fit my needs perfectly. If I could get the same exact car that doesn't have repeated issues, I would be super happy. But right now when people ask me how the Volt is working out for me, I have to take a deep breath and sigh and be honest with them.

I don't want a car that I can't tell people, "BUY IT, you'll love it!", and I don't think GM wants any of their customers to have a car like that. So we'll see what they can do for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts