GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks, My hubby finally came through on the Christmas present of getting my Volt's grill looking tough.

He tried earlier with a Satin wrap and it was too shiny. So he ordered Matte and that did the trick.

IMG_4683-1.jpg IMG_4688-1.jpg

But when we did it with no emblem it looked like odd and empty. I once tried taping the front black bowtie to see if the thickness would affect the ACC and it was non functioning. He then ordered the Volt V from a 3D printer and it took a couple sizes to figure it out.

IMG_4691-1.jpg

I have been driving it in several environments with ACC and no malfunction at all. I really love it and glad to have Christmas in August. I have had the new look for about 2 weeks now and sometimes forget how good it looks and am pleasantly surprised all over again. I do not mis the wonko 2D bow tie on the front.

Good Stuff and will keep you posted to the durability. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, if your object was to disguise your car as a new gen Cruise, well done. Styling is a personal taste thing, of course. I used a trimmed front license plate (CA) to tone down the bling a tad.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
I like it. I'm fine with the stock grille on my white car, but that's because I generally like the white/chrome combo. The red volts in particular look good with some of the bling blacked out IMO, especially with the ACC grille (again, IMO).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well I like it. Especially the "V"

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Looks really good! Love the unique emblem.

How does the emblem not interfere with the radar? Is it because it is plastic, or because it is slender?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, if your object was to disguise your car as a new gen Cruise, well done. Styling is a personal taste thing, of course. I used a trimmed front license plate (CA) to tone down the bling a tad.
Gen2 Volts look like a Cruze or Honda Civic. That was the point I guess, to make them look more like everything else. It also allowed them to be made cheaper using more "like" parts.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Gen2 Volts look like a Cruze or Honda Civic. That was the point I guess, to make them look more like everything else. It also allowed them to be made cheaper using more "like" parts.
All of the hybrid/PIH vehicles tend to look alike because the body shape is aerodynamic while not being too expensive to fabricate/build.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you Barry and all others for the compliments. I think it is both of being plastic and only 1/8 inch thick. I had to add some paint to it since what came from the printers would not hold up to the weather. I used a touch up paint that matched my truck and had some metal flake in it. I was nervous that would throw off the radar but so far so good. One other attempt I made was to keep the crook of the V out of the center of the radar. I will give it even more of a test drive this Monday since I am headed about 60 miles towards the center of our Total Eclipse. They expect all kinds of nutty traffic and my ACC should get a good workout.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi timoshev, I saw your post and agree the front plate helps. But I think your Volt doesn't have the ACC problem. If you haven't seen them they are a disappointing gray plastic on the upper and lower and the bowtie is like a photograph in clear plastic. Not the metal bling like the non-ACC types which I really like. But I don't regret the ACC it is a nice feature and now am a happy cruiser. :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Jernigan, that is pretty sweet. Do you have a link to the "V" model? I may have it 3d printed myself for a trinket at my desk.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would LOVE to see the ACC grille he did with the satin finish. Even when standard Volt owners Plasti-Dip their grilles black, flat black is usually their choice. I think I like more of a gloss look like Bolt EV . A clear coat surely would impede the radar sensor.

I absolutely love the V logo! So creative. With the V not obscuring the sensor. One thought I had was if we used the Chevy Bowtie, in chrome, would it impede the radar, and if it was hollow in the middle, could we also bypass said sensor?

Kudos to you for working out these details. I hope it's durable for years. I'm interested in how it's attached as well. The problem with the ugly ACC grille is huge. It's the most expensive Volt ( ACC Premier ) but also the ugliest nose! When I saw the flat grey with the seriously ugly Chevy bowtie - my first thought was, "that has GOT to go!"...

Maybe you could sell the V logo - I would be interested. Did your husband do all the work, including the wrap/painting?

I wrote GM on it's Volt fb page and asked them to consider giving Bolt ACC, and to give the Volt the Bolt EV's grille treatment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, It was with these folks:

http://www.thingsmiths.com/

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to locate the receipt to give you further information. Hopefully they have it on file. It was made in Feb or Mar this year if memory serves me well.

Let me know if they want to start from scratch.
Jon

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would LOVE to see the ACC grille he did with the satin finish. Even when standard Volt owners Plasti-Dip their grilles black, flat black is usually their choice. I think I like more of a gloss look like Bolt EV . A clear coat surely would impede the radar sensor.

I absolutely love the V logo! So creative. With the V not obscuring the sensor. One thought I had was if we used the Chevy Bowtie, in chrome, would it impede the radar, and if it was hollow in the middle, could we also bypass said sensor?

Kudos to you for working out these details. I hope it's durable for years. I'm interested in how it's attached as well. The problem with the ugly ACC grille is huge. It's the most expensive Volt ( ACC Premier ) but also the ugliest nose! When I saw the flat grey with the seriously ugly Chevy bowtie - my first thought was, "that has GOT to go!"...

Maybe you could sell the V logo - I would be interested. Did your husband do all the work, including the wrap/painting?

I wrote GM on it's Volt fb page and asked them to consider giving Bolt ACC, and to give the Volt the Bolt EV's grille treatment.
Feel free to contact the 3D printer folks we used and hopefully they'll remember.

http://www.thingsmiths.com/

Here is what I was hoping would work when we did the top part in satin. It looks better in a photo than it did in person. I would have been happy with the black bowtie and really like it on the rear. Too bad it has too much metalish faux chrome on the emblem to work. The ACC wouldn't work which meant no cruise control at all.

Volt Grill in Satin.jpg

My husband did all the wrapping and he said it was tricky. He ordered the wrap off of Amazon and youtubed the knowhow.
Have Fun
Jon

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Folks, Some indicated they were interested ordering a Volt V like I put on the front end of My 2017 ACC grill

IMG_4691-1.jpg

I spoke to Edward Burch at customer service at ThingSmiths and he now has it listed as open to public under "Volt Emblem". Somewhere around $20 to $25.

http://www.thingsmiths.com

Not sure how it will change if you want it larger or thicker than what we did. But I think they can easily.

Enjoy

·
Registered
51 Posts
plasti-dip and ultrasonic sensors...

Thank you Barry and all others for the compliments. I think it is both of being plastic and only 1/8 inch thick. I had to add some paint to it since what came from the printers would not hold up to the weather. I used a touch up paint that matched my truck and had some metal flake in it. I was nervous that would throw off the radar but so far so good. One other attempt I made was to keep the crook of the V out of the center of the radar. I will give it even more of a test drive this Monday since I am headed about 60 miles towards the center of our Total Eclipse. They expect all kinds of nutty traffic and my ACC should get a good workout.
Looks awesome! I'm thinking about dipping my grille as well. It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but did you (or the hubby) make any effort to keep the little ultrasonic sensors in the lower grille uncovered? And if they ARE covered with plasti-dip, is it safe to assume that you've had no problems with them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So the ACC grill is different from the non-ACC grill? Who knew.
It was actually big deal summer of 2016 (many posts) as we were looking for the first ACC models at dealerships. The center plastic part and flat bow tie badge make them pretty easy to spot once you know what to look for. Otherwise, ACC option is on the window sticker and in the DIC when you engage CC.

The problem in 2016 was that many dealer were using stock photos of non-ACC VOLTs, especially while the new ACC VOLTs were in transit to the dealer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi Folks, Some indicated they were interested ordering a Volt V like I put on the front end of My 2017 ACC grill

View attachment 138842

I spoke to Edward Burch at customer service at ThingSmiths and he now has it listed as open to public under "Volt Emblem". Somewhere around $20 to $25.

http://www.thingsmiths.com

Not sure how it will change if you want it larger or thicker than what we did. But I think they can easily.

Enjoy
I just checked the site and searched for both "volt emblem" and just "volt" and no search results came up. Do I have to request a quote from the site for the emblem?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just checked the site and searched for both "volt emblem" and just "volt" and no search results came up. Do I have to request a quote from the site for the emblem?
I would call Edward Burch = 734.707.8148

He responded to me with this email:
[email protected]

He said he plans to post something up about this on a blog. But he was the one who said he'd call it "Volt Emblem"

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts