GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned that my new Volt order is in!

I understand that there were 2 Volt orders in this batch for my dealer, plus another Volt order delivered earlier (more than a week ago). Looks like the flow from the factory is coming in nicely.

August sales numbers will likely not be very strong. However, starting in September, Volt sales will likely experience a sharp spike. Since the car has only been available in 6 of 50 states until now, we are only now beginning to see what the demand potential is of this vehicle. It will still be a few more months before it is available nationally. It is very likely that the car will easily hit the projected 10,000 units sold for the year.

Checklist of things I have to do to upgrade from my 2008 Impala to this 2012 Volt.

1. Do the Math for the Lease Rate:
I need to wait until after Labor Day to get the final lease rate. It is likely to be in the low in the upper $400s to the low $500s per month with $0 down and 15,000 miles per year. As soon as I have that information, I will post it here.

2. Prep My Impala
After 38 months and 46K+ miles, I am returning my 2008 Impala to the dealer. When I started the lease, the leasing company was GMAC. It is now known as Ally. My Volt lease is likely to be from US Bank. Because there is no continuity of business, I need to be very careful to not give the leasing company any reason to charge be for anything. Here is my plan:

- I just replaced all 4 tires at a cost of about $370. I figure doing that allowed me to reduce the risk that I would have to pay MSRP for new tires after returning the lease. Possibly $600+.

- I have a couple of scratches that I need to take care of with touch up paint.

- Being the value oriented person that I am, I will need to return the vehicle to the dealer with no gas (that would be about $55 savings v. a full tank).

The effort to get the car ready to return should hopefully pay off in no additional costs when I return the car.

3. Get Ready to Contact SPX for Home Charger
I do not necessarily need to do this until after I get the vehicle. However the sooner I get the charger, the better for conveniently being able to charge. SPX is the company I am working with to do this. It looks like there is funding from the Department of Energy and DTE Energy (power company) to get a charger installed at no cost to me. I hope that I am also able to get a separate meter for for the charger.

4. Take a Test Drive
I do not expect to see any problems but I do need to conduct "due diligence" and make sure that the one I got is as good (or better) than the demo car.

Did I miss anything on the checklist? Can you think of anything else you would suggest?

·
Registered
230 Posts
#3 if you are going to take part in DTE's PEV program, you will want to go through DTE, they will deal with SPX for you. http://DTEEnergy.com/pev

Note, you have to have the car 1st before you can apply.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
Read the owners manual?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ally is also now offering a special lease program for the Volt. One thing you may want to do if you go with the Ally lease is to look into adding SmartLease Protect. It would have covered the tires and other misc. stuff. I believe it also waives the security deposit. I am unsure if US Bank has a similar program.

Good Luck and enjoy!!
VM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#3 if you are going to take part in DTE's PEV program, you will want to go through DTE, they will deal with SPX for you. http://DTEEnergy.com/pev

Note, you have to have the car 1st before you can apply.
A little confused by this. SPX contacted me directly. They asked me to fill our a survey (with details about my home set up). They also asked me to pick one of the 3 chargers they had available. Do you suggest that I talk with DTE first?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ally is also now offering a special lease program for the Volt. One thing you may want to do if you go with the Ally lease is to look into adding SmartLease Protect. It would have covered the tires and other misc. stuff. I believe it also waives the security deposit. I am unsure if US Bank has a similar program.

Good Luck and enjoy!!
VM
Do you know what the lease rate is with Ally? I heard that the numbers might be creeping up... but I was also optimistic that the MSRP drop may help with the lease rate. My dealer told me to wait until after Labor Day to get the final numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts