GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I LOVED my Volt but it was totaled in a rear end accident last month.

Fortunately, I was able to get out of the car when I saw smoke coming from the rear. Within ~ 10 minutes the car was on fire and the passenger cabin was fully engulfed in flames, the windows blew out and the tires melted before the fire department was able to get there. Has this happened to anyone else?

We have contacted GM to investigate. They did come to look at the car and are waiting for the report / results.

I had the car just over 1 year before the accident and was very, very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad you're ok. Man that car looks like it was smacked hard! It's a good thing you weren't hurt or stunned in the accident so that you were able to escape before the fire spread!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am glad you are OK! As far as I know this is the first reported case of a Volt catching fire for any reason and some forum members have been in some pretty bad wrecks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh my, that is terrible! So sorry for your Volt and pleased you are okay!

Anne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That is what I thought - we can't find a record of any other Volt fires. I am hoping that this was a fluke as I loved the car and would love to replace it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but glad no one was seriously injured. Do you have any idea how fast the car was going when it rear-ended you, and what kinda vehicle was it that hit you? If I had to guess, it looks like it ruptured the gas tank, and if their front end was still enmeshed with the rear end of the Volt, it could have just leaked gasoline onto their hot engine and them *poof*. Also, how much gas did you have in the tank at the time?

Nice travel mug - I have several of those. I'd be annoyed at losing that too, but having totaled a Volt myself, I can honestly say I know how you feel on the loss of the car, but yours is way more dramatic than my T-bone + ricochet into a 3rd car... Keep us posted on what GM says. I hope the haters don't pick up on this and blow it out of proportion. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the battery pack was still intact and it was just the gas tank getting crushed somehow (which is pretty bad, on its own, but it happens).

·
Registered
387 Posts
You realize that even though we drive electric vehicles, we still also carry a fuel tank with batteries nearby. Glad that you lived to fight another day. Any car accident, ICE or EV can be scary

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Glad you're OK. I believe a Volt caught fire in a house fire but your accident would be the first vehicular fire.

I'm guessing that the gas tank leaked after the collision and caught fire. Would be ironic, eh? Again, glad you got out of their without serious injury.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You weren't in Low by chance?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Glad you are safe! Curious how many airbags deployed. I would bet a beer the battery pack is intact. Make that two beers.

I'm actually in a rental now while they repair my Volt. I can empathize a little with your loss. Prepare yourself for buying gas again! But it should cement how wonderfully smooth and safe your daily driver was. Again, glad you are safe!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Definitely totaled. They totaled my Buick for hail damage.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's a man's way of going out - TOTALED, caught FIRE.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
gees ,that looks bad

i too wonder about the time from hit to flames

Do wish the title was more like Volt had gas fire after rear end collision or something like that

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.