GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve said it before, the Volt is a terrific road car! Because I can, I decided to make another road trip to visit my three daughters and a sister, all of whom live in different parts of the country,

First to Saint Louis, Missouri, then to Mill Valley, California, on to McAllen, Texas, then to Pensacola, Florida, and finally back to Saint Louis for a second visit with my youngest daughter, before driving back home.

Anyone making the trip along I78 needing to overnight near Zanesville, Ohio should stop at Baker's Motel in Norwich, Ohio. I'm not connected, but, it's a quiet, neat, clean motel. I couldn't resist making the stop! My great-grandfather moved his family from Zanesville to Davenport, Iowa in the mid 1800s.

I started out in the early morning of October 18 and got back in the early evening of November 13, a total of 8125 miles, all but the first 40 or so miles on gas for an average of 40.3 mpg. I mixed 89 octane with 93 octane to get close to 91 octane when none was available, driving to half a tank on 93, then filling up with 89, alternating between the two.

I had a flat tire the morning after arriving at Pensacola and had to buy a Continental PureContact LS (different tread pattern…grrrrrr) to replace my Continental Pure Contact with EcoPlus Tech tire which had a nail hole at the edge of the tire – nail went in and out again, not repairable (legally). Hopefully I can get something back from TireRack.

I played with my OBD2 reader while driving to observe the rpm under different driving conditions. I kept at my self-imposed 65 mph limit most of the time, accelerating to higher speeds to prevent backups do to me when necessary. Interestingly, rpm ranged mostly in the 1550 to 1990 rpm at 65 mph depending on road conditions. I should add that I used CC practically all the time.

We live in a truly beautiful country that offers a plenitude of awesome sights. I never get bored with experiencing it’s magnificence…especially when viewed from the Volt!

I'll probably do something similar next May (after some scheduled maintenance).😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've owned my Volt for 2 years put almost 27k EV miles on it with like 4100 ICE miles. I have yet to take it on a road trip and am planning on maybe taking it on a trip from Florida to NY then from NY to Maine then back to NY then home. What is the best part of road tripping in the Volt?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Most of my miles are road trip miles. I've done two long trips, the longest was 2000 miles to PEI in Canada, and at least 50 day trips which range from about 200 miles to 450 miles. On the day trips I use Hold on the highway on the way out, switch to Normal or Mountain when I get off the highway and then drive back in Mountain. I like Mountain instead of Normal when I'm doing a long highway trip because it seems quieter and it reserves battery power for acceleration.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I've driven my 2017 Volt from Denver to New Hampshire and back twice now. I also took it to eastern and central Nebraska for the total solar eclipse and toured the Colorado Mountains. Of the 32,000+ miles on the car almost 10,000 are road trip.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned my Volt for 2 years put almost 27k EV miles on it with like 4100 ICE miles. I have yet to take it on a road trip and am planning on maybe taking it on a trip from Florida to NY then from NY to Maine then back to NY then home. What is the best part of road tripping in the Volt?
For me, the best part of a road trip in the Gen 1 Volt is knowing that I am driving in a car that offers maximum protection for its passengers in the event of an accident. The IIHA rates the Gen 1 “Top Safety Pick+”. NHTSA gives 5 stars in the Overall category. Then there is the smooth ride and quick acceleration, when needed. It’s a great, safe, road car. Being able to achieve 40.3 mpg in over 8100 cross-country miles in this car is icing on the cake.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts