GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Uber Streak Of Miles Without Gas Has Reached 40,000 Miles

My VoltStats streak of miles without gas began on May 23, 2012. That was the last time I exceeded my range. I just missed getting home and my Volt switched to gas right before I entered my neighborhood. I was not really upset as that streak was exactly one month old and covered 1,656 miles. My previous streak of 4,123 miles was dashed by Chevrolet performing the battery enhancement. Big mistake!!

So, my current streak of 40,000 miles now spans 693 days and averages out to 57.73 miles / day. Average of days actually driven is probably a bit more as this includes vacations and snow days for instance.

Now, I don't play it safe. I've made it home many times with 1 mile remaining, a few times with 0 and barely 0.1 kWh left. I've been lucky. It's not easy driving 20,000+ EV miles / year and not using the range extender. However, I've seem to have found a way. There were times, I would not have made it home, but I was able to charge at L1 when at my son's religious school or at his Violin instructor's house for instance.

I've been asked why I do not just drive it the way it was intended, and honestly this is a lot more fun. I really enjoy the challenge. Driving without heat during winter even at -2F put some excitement into the driving. I've learned to eek out the very last drop of the battery. I know exactly how much I can get out of it. The kWh used is incredibly reliable as that is my most useful gauge, not miles remaining.

Many people say I bought the wrong car. However, I did not know I was going to drive this way. 99% of my gas miles were in the first 2 months of driving, more than half of that, the first day. The Volt way over-delivered. One of my first posts here was asking about the EV range. I was wondering how I could make my 40 mile r/t commute 100% EV when the range is 35 miles. Well, quite easily I have found except on the coldest days.

Thanks GM for over-delivering on an amazing vehicle that fits so many different driving styles, even my bizarre one!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Very interesting- especially the below zero stuff. I looked for, but could not find (and I assume no use of), an ALTERNATE conventional ICE vehicle? I wrote up a comment on the insideevs site that went to a (future) owner of two i8s and solar. My kindly worded discussion was that I had been doing the same thing with two Volts for two years now. Unfortunately, I got the EV snob response pointing out that my Volts use gasoline. Yup, I've got two homes that EACH have close family 100 or more miles away and I simply must burn gas (short of the Tesla Model X, which I plan to get). I always ask the question and then they clam up. If one must use an ICE vehicle for the ENTIRE trip (averaging probably <40 mpg) and I use gas for only PART of the trip (averaging ~80mpg) than my Volt shuts up their snobbery. Glad we are loving our Volts. Congrats and here's to your dedication!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you avoid EMM and FMM?
By staying parked in my driveway during EMM & FMM! Last fill-up was 1.2 gallons, so there will be very little fuel to burn when my next FMM strikes around June 9th.

I continue to be impressed with your dedication...

Well done!!!
Thanks, it's a bit of effort, but well worth it! Someone has to do it, right?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
So you are driving miles with gas. Your wheels aren't rolling when the engine is on, but you are still burning gas which charges the battery which in turn is used to propel the car.
I think he starts his service runs on the generator engine with the battery full so that there is no charge in the battery considered to be from Gasoline.

HI Ari_c, congratulations- I'm glad you are doing this, and happy that you find it fun. it takes the pressure off the rest of us. I feel no compulsion to make every drive on battery, because I can say- "hey, there is a guy in Virginia who hasn't used gas to drive in 40,000 miles..." and move on in the conversation...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I believe my battery is always fully changed. I don't do that intentionally, but my EMMs have always been in the AM after it has already been charged. I unplug during the EMM and plugin afterwards. It will charge for a few minutes and reset the display. I can't stand to see the gallons burned anything but 0.00!

Also I think in 2011 & 2012, that the internal counter will reset once it has a full charge as well so it will think it is 100% EV, even if it partially wasn't. I have not tested this (and don't plan to!)

·
Registered
232 Posts
So you are driving miles with gas. Your wheels aren't rolling when the engine is on, but you are still burning gas which charges the battery which in turn is used to propel the car.
I power my house with electricity off the grid. My LP full-home backup generator cycles once a week. Only when the grid is off any my house lights are powered by the generator am I running the house on LP.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Congrats, Ari! It was nice meeting you the other day at the Mosaic charging station! I am up to 4700 miles since I last filled up with gasoline and 1500+ miles since I used gas so I have some catching up to do! ;-)

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
A great record, Ari. Congratulations! If you ever are forced into CS mode in the future, don't fret, you've already won the gold medal for long distance on electrons 8^)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
No, he isn't. He stated that he is parked during the gas engine startup and running, so officially, he has zero miles burning gas. His claim of driving 100% on electricity is true.

You can do the same on a gas engine car. Just start it up, and let it run on gas while parked until the gas tank is empty. You get zero miles on gas, and 0 MPG, and you did charge the 12 VDC lead-acid battery, too. But you didn't drive miles on gas at all.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
So,

First off, congrats but, I think you're nuts :)

Who has more range anxiety? A person with a 40 mile range EREV who goes to these lengths not to have the engine run or, a person who has a BEV with a 70 mile range who can pretty reliably make the trip without worrying about exhausting the charge?

I won't and can't go to these lengths in my Volt because my doctor says I need to stay away from the adrenaline rushes that happen when your getting on the edge, but is also why my next car will be a BEV. Ari's experience and my own with the Volt just reinforce my opinion that an MS60 would work fine for me 98% of the time and I'm just not going to make a contrary decision based upon 2% of the time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So,

Who has more range anxiety? A person with a 40 mile range EREV who goes to these lengths not to have the engine run or, a person who has a BEV with a 70 mile range who can pretty reliably make the trip without worrying about exhausting the charge?
Ari can speak for himself but it doesn't seem to me he has range anxiety, he has voltstats anxiety! I'm sure many of us suffer from it to one degree or the other. Maybe the people who never charge their Volt don't have it but if you ever looked twice at your mpg then you can relate.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So,

Don't take this the wrong way, but......... My wife totally agrees with you!

Honestly, if the Volt had more range it would not be quite as challenging. Summer time is a little more boring as I can easily stretch the range beyond 50 miles. The low 40's is really when my 39 mile r/t commute gets interesting.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but......... My wife totally agrees with you!

Honestly, if the Volt had more range it would not be quite as challenging. Summer time is a little more boring as I can easily stretch the range beyond 50 miles. The low 40's is really when my 39 mile r/t commute gets interesting.

I would rather have more range . I have been visiting the gas stations way too often lately . 25% more range would mean I could 3 months instead of 3 weeks between fill-ups .

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Awesome Ari - I do track you on voltstats.

Soon we will be taking a cross country drive and will kill our Battery only use. But suffice it to say we are up to 171 MPG and that is with two 600 mile RT drives with the ICE and only 5800 miles on the car so far. I have not been good or lucky at finding places to charge up with on the road. On one of the trips I was able to "plug in" at a relatives house, but I was only able to add 20 miles or so of EV range. Incidentally that was the last time we filled up and that was in December of 2013.

Only claim to "fame" we may have is driving a Volt from South Florida to Alaska via the AlCan. Would be nice to figure out a way to plot stops where I could charge up, even if it was just with our L1 EVSE.

I would love to be able to let mountain mode charge the battery completely up so when I did "fuel up" I had the greatest total range possible. Some of those stretches on the AlCan fuel is few and far between! I've driven it before, so I know from personal experience!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.