GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've always been interested in a Volt since it first came into the scene, but it was way too expensive for me at the time. I'm glad that Chevrolet decided to make a second generation model even though the first generation didn't sell well. I hope that this time, it sells well. I have been driving it for about a few weeks now and I really enjoy it! It's everything that I want in a daily driver car since I have a separate car for rallycross racing. When I just want to chill and just drive, this car does the trick.

I really dislike the chrome grille so I painted it with PlastiDip. It looks so much better now.

I'm in the process of getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in order to get JuiceBox Pro 40. The charging is fine right now with 120V 12 amp charging, but it'll be convenient to pre-condition my car without losing charge and charge quicker and more efficiently.

I've had a Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru, and a Honda car. This will be my first American car. Let's hope the good things keep going.

Suggestions for the Third Generation Volt So Far
  • Remove the lower chrome grille or make it black.
  • Have an option to use the accelerator to control full regen instead of having to use the button.
  • Have the driver side wiper go all the way down in low and high speed modes.
  • Removing the small noticeable lurch that occurs every second or so while off the throttle and creeping up a hill in stop and go traffic.
  • A sunshade at the center of the windshield or a visor extender.
  • The dead pedal is too far forward.
  • Infotainment system updates done by the consumer. I've had a few minor glitches here and there with the system especially with Android Auto.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What, no pics? :p

You realize you could use your stock charger with a $30 adapter, right?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congratulations on your new Volt!

I'm also a new owner of a Volt and have been interested since they were first announced. I don't care much for the grille design on both the 1st and 2nd gen. In fact, I think the 1st gen looks a little better. The 2nd gen looks more 'normal-sedan' like.

·
Registered
568 Posts
yeah Don't let an electrician butt-rape you for hundreds of dollars and then spend a few hundred more on a level 2 charger you dont need.

For 30 something dollars you can build your own adapter, there's even a guy here "Chris TX" is is username that can build it for you in any plug/adapster style you need. Most common is to charge off the 220V dryer line if you have it in the garage.

My 2017 arrives next week - already got a dedicated 220V line run with the proper outlet.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think the cheapest-looking design feature of my 2013 Volt is that stupid shiny plastic fake grill. I would rather simply have a smooth front-piece. I liked the sharp, clean appearance of my Mitsubishi Eclipse at the end of the last century.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The dead pedal is too far forward.
I sat in a '17 for the first time today at the dealer while waiting for software updates to my '14.

The dead pedal is too high.

The other thing I noticed even before getting in the car is that the dash and the higher console make it look and feel crowded in the cockpit. Everything but the dead pedal fit me well in the '17 so there's that, but I went back to my '14 and it felt very different. As I told the sales manager (I seem to attract managers - not sure why) my '14 is a compact that doesn't feel like one. In the '17 it does feel like one in every way but forward/back seat travel (which also was good).

Part of it IMO is the angling in and down toward the center of the dash. These photos show the difference I think:

If I want the fighter jet feel I'll sit in a Corvette (and I have done that too). However, if you want a Volt it's becoming academic unless you're willing to buy used.

·
Registered
907 Posts
"Dead pedal" is the flat spot where you rest your left foot. I agree, it's too high, too close to the driver. In gen 1 I can stretch out both legs equally, in gen 2, my left knee is bent upward (I'm 5'11"). Didn't like that at all, but it may be something I could get used to.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
"Dead pedal" is the flat spot where you rest your left foot. I agree, it's too high, too close to the driver. In gen 1 I can stretch out both legs equally, in gen 2, my left knee is bent upward (I'm 5'11"). Didn't like that at all, but it may be something I could get used to.
I've switched from a Gen I to a Gen II. I too agree that the dead pedal is much higher on the Gen II. I have gotten used to it. I've also found that I need to have the driver seat a notch or two further back to compensate for the dead pedal. But that leaves a lot less room behind me. For the odd time were I need to carry that fourth person I do push my seat (and steering wheel) forward but that is usually just for shorter trips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1

Couldn't agree more. When I sat in a 2017 Volt for the first time, I immediately noticed the extreme height of the dead pedal.
I've learned to trust my first impressions, as they usually become long term issues. And to further exacerbate this, the foot room to the right of the dead pedal is definitely not generous.

This could become a real problem in the winter when I'm wearing boots.

Heck, my 2014 Honda Fit EV has more distance to the dead pedal, and more foot room (but definitely less seat travel).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree regarding the dead pedal, but it's not a deal killer. I'm 6' 2" and tend to drive with my left foot flat on the floor. Weird, but that's comfortable for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am 70 years old. This is the first American car that I have ever bought. I can't remember a car I have enjoyed more. But on trips I have to use the gas engine. I can't wait for really fast charging and a much bigger battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts