GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some of my suggestions for GM to improve the Volt

-> Decrease the number of options. I had to compromise my vehicle purchase because the options I wanted were not in the color I wanted! I eventually ended up getting a car that did not have heated seats even though I wanted them. I have no idea why heated seats and rear view camera are even options on a $40K car! Ideally, you should just have a few options like 1) Leather Seats Yes/No 2) Navigation Yes/No 3) Premium Bose Speakers (Yes/No) 4) Premium Wheels (Yes/No) 5) Park Assist/Lane Minder/FCW (Yes/No) - thats about it! Make the rest of it standard already.

-> Offer frequent and easy software updates. It wont cost GM a whole lot and you can not imagine how satisfied owners will be (and how much more they will recommend the car) when little freebie tidbits are thrown their way. How about GoGoLink for Volts with MyLink. I think Smartphone based maps are much superior to many in-built navigation systems.

-> While it may not be an absolute necessity for other cars, OnStar is more or less a requirement for the Volt. GM already reduced free OnStar from 5 years to 3 years. Owners may not realize it now but when it comes time to renew their OnStar subscriptions, the extra $20 per month can be a little too much to take. GM should consider a special pricing for Volt owners (maybe 50% off their standard price).

-> Why not offer 3 years of free service? The Volt does not need much maintenance in the first three years so GM might as well offer it for free - it would definitely be a nice USP that will not cost much for GM (or the dealers)!

-> Offer free charging in GM dealeships and establishments. It costs pennies but the PR is invaluable. I can charge my Volt for free at a Nissan dealer and my Grocer but not at a GM dealer!?

-> Use better/softer materials inside the car. I am not expecting leather or microfiber but dont make it look like Rhino bed liner either!

-> Simplify the center console and MyLink. It may be too late for the center console but MyLink should be a simple software upgrade. Why do I have to press so many buttons to change simple settings?

-> Provide a spare wheel - atleast as an option. Some people NEED it!

-> How about a wiper for the rear windshield? Even 15 year old hatchbacks come with one!

-> HID lights please (4300K/35W would work great)! They are no longer "expensive" luxury add-ons - and they draw less power - if that matters

-> Install the shorter air-dam by default, or atleast provide an option to swap the longer one for the shorter one at purchase time.

-> Provide better (and mandatory) Volt training for your sales people that sell Volts. I had to educate my Volt sales person about a lot of things she was not aware of (she did not know the Volt had regen braking or 3 Years OnStar!). She was utterly consused about the different options and I had to actually help her sell the car to me!

I may come up with more suggestions but this should be a good start.

·
4,871 Posts
15 year old hatchbacks come with a rear windshield wiper because the angle of their glass is much steeper. The Volt does not need a rear wiper.

I think a lot of these fall under personal preference, and many people might agree or disagree. On one level, you want options to decrease, but on another level, you suggest an option for a spare wheel. It's a mixed bag.

I hope you enjoy your Volt though! :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I definitely agree that the car needs a rear-window wiper! Of course, according to Bob Lutz, all we need for the rear window is lots of Rain-X ;o)

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
I definitely agree that the car needs a rear-window wiper! Of course, according to Bob Lutz, all we need for the rear window is lots of Rain-X ;o)
I have not needed a rear wiper in over two years.

There are two spare tire options available for those who want it (full sized from dealer, or donut via ebay, salvage yards, etc.).

P.S. It's now a $36k car (less after tax credit). :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Options are the key to making as many people happy as they can. Some people don't want leather seats. Just because you do, doesn't mean everyone does. If you wanted something specific, you could have ordered it that way.

I would agree with software updates. Not sure why they don't

I think OnStar has always been 3 years for the Volt hasn't it? Maybe for 2011 it was 5? I'm not sure. It's a lot better than the standard 6 months for every other GM vehicle. I would be happy if we could just get the RemoteLink access for a few bucks.

You probably could have negotiated service in with the dealership. That's not a GM wide kind of thing.

Again, I'd agree with charging. Nissan has free chargers at every dealership in the country I believe.

I personally like the interior materials. I'm not sure what's not to like. It's a little spaceshipy I guess...

Center console could definitely be better designed. Maybe gen II?

There are dozens of car models out there that don't come with a spare. Yes, the option would be nice, but there really isn't a lot of space for it.

Don't really see a need for a rear wiper. The defroster keeps the snow off, and rain rolls off just fine for me.

I would like better lights on the Volt. They are definitely sub standard.

I have no problem with the stock air dam. Many people have managed to get the dealer to swap it out for free.

Definitely true on the Volt training. It's blatantly obvious that very few people have any clue about the car.

Well, that's how I feel at least :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree about not needing a rear wiper. I have owned Corvettes for years and no spare, of course you would have to have 2 one for the front and one for the rear. It would be nice if you could put run-flats on a Volt. Love my car just the way it is.

Skip

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Never needed a rear wiper so far, but of course it doesn't rain here either. Ray

·
Registered
481 Posts
You guys are nuts! I want a wiper! We should do a poll.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Options is one area a car manufacturer makes good money. Like the Nav. Nobody would pay the $2K for such a nav system aftermarket but having it conveniently installed in the car might be worth it.

One option a lot of people might want is: Sunroof.

But one option that may really help is either doing the Volt as a larger 5-seater sedan or a CUV. If they can share chassis in the 2015 version with Cruze and Equionx and make the Equinox a EREV CUV, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What I get frustrated with is when they bundle together an option I want with one that I don't want and don't give me the option to select these options individually.

Examples:

Bose Sound + Navigation
Rear Camera + Parking Assist
Leather Seats + Heated Seats

It is OK to bundle to save costs and make packages more appealing, but not if you do not have the choice of selecting these items individually....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not needed a rear wiper in over two years.

There are two spare tire options available for those who want it (full sized from dealer, or donut via ebay, salvage yards, etc.).

P.S. It's now a $36k car (less after tax credit). :)
I myself dont miss the rear wiper yet but I saw a Volt recently that had dirt on their rear windscreen (probably caused by dust deposited on rural roads mixed with light rain). I believe a simple wiper should not be cause for a debate, even for a $36K car :)

As for the spare tire, what I meant was a place to stow the spare tire (with the option to purchase a spare tire if required). You can purchase a spare tire now but there is no place to put it except in the cargo area - I dont think it it safe to put a heavy tire in the cargo area - especially if there is a crash and/or the tire comes loose during heavy braking/cornering. Besides taking up a significant amout of cargo space, a dirty tire would mess up the cargo area. If they can shape the storage area underneath the cargo area so that a tire can fit it (perhaps by moving the lead acid battery to one side - or positioning it such that it can sit below the wheel), that would be nice!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Options are the key to making as many people happy as they can. Some people don't want leather seats. Just because you do, doesn't mean everyone does. If you wanted something specific, you could have ordered it that way.

You probably could have negotiated service in with the dealership. That's not a GM wide kind of thing.

I personally like the interior materials. I'm not sure what's not to like. It's a little spaceshipy I guess...

There are dozens of car models out there that don't come with a spare. Yes, the option would be nice, but there really isn't a lot of space for it.

Don't really see a need for a rear wiper. The defroster keeps the snow off, and rain rolls off just fine for me.

I have no problem with the stock air dam. Many people have managed to get the dealer to swap it out for free.

Well, that's how I feel at least :)
I am definitely for options but not a plethora of confusing options and combinations. The ones I listed should cover everything. The rest should be standard for a class leading car like this. BTW. I think the Volt rear-view camera sucks! Even a base Honda CIVIC comes with a better rear-view camera (with guidelines) as a standard accessory!

The 3 year free service is a simple and easy to implement USP for GM. This thread is to offer suggestions to GM to improve Volt and Volt sales. Nothing to get defensive about. I am also a Volt owner.

Some interior panels are OK but the majority of the interior (in teh front) is a rough rubbery texture, which I dont like. Eventually, they will collect a lot of of dust and dirt in all those microscopic crevices (especially because the Volt does not come with a cabin air filter by default)!

They could re-arrange the available space (there is a good bit of storage space there but it is all over the place) in the storage area below the cargo area. I have seen spare tires crammed into very tight spaces. The lead acid battery could be arranged in such a way that it goes below the wheel.

Agreed ... Defroster will take care of snow. Rain just rolls off. Dirt (Dust mixed with light rain) will not roll off or melt. Adding a Wiper should not be a big deal for GM. I probably will not miss it a lot but there are times I see the need for it.

YMMV. My dealer wanted $200+ to replace the air-dam. Why not make it a consistent practice - especially when it is well known that the factory air-dam scrapes every ramp with a >10% incline? It is OK when it scrapes driving forward but when backing up, the air-dams can get dismantled and/or damaged pretty bad! Many people don't realise they have an issue with the air-dam until they take delivery and start driving around.

These are all suggestions for GM to improve Volt Sales and Quality. I agree most of them are to fix minor gripes. GM almost made a Hole in 1 with the Volt - so there is nothing major to complain about - only minor nit-picks :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
What I get frustrated with is when they bundle together an option I want with one that I don't want and don't give me the option to select these options individually.

Examples:

Bose Sound + Navigation
Rear Camera + Parking Assist
Leather Seats + Heated Seats
On the MY2013 Volt, the Bose option is available standalone, and heated seats are part of the Comfort Package (also includes leather on the steering wheel) which is available for cloth seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts