GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR I installed a dashcam in my Volt in a sort of stealthy way. FULL ALBUM HERE.

After having a few crazy drivers almost crash into me (one within the first month of ownership), I decided to get a dashcam to have evidence. I've heard it's invaluable in insurance disputes, and it can sometimes capture some pretty interesting events (see all the crazy Russian dashcam youtube videos). Plus, they're pretty cheap nowadays so why not?

I wanted something stealthy... I didn't want a huge thing suction cupped to my windshield, just begging to be smash 'n grabbed. The smallest, yet still decent, model I could find was the Mobius. I went with the C lens, which has the widest field of view. The Mobius has the unique feature of being able to extend the lens away from the body on a cable, which makes hiding it easier than other cams. I installed it on the sensor cover / box on the windshield using magnets. Like most of my projects, this took me a ton a time to figure out and build, but I could re-do it in a few hours.

I already had power available in the driver footwell area from my backup cam project (see sig), so I was able to tap into that after running the USB cable along the windshield and down the A pillar trim.

I think it came out ok, but not quite what I was aiming for... I was hoping it would appear more stealthy. I should have been more careful in my lens mounting, I think it sticks down and forward more than it could, so it could be a bit more stealthy. But overall it's decent. Total cost around $90.

IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2220.jpg

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Nice install, looks sharp!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looks good. I like the remote lens.

Perhaps you could mount the lens to the back of the rearview mirror?? I stuck a Mini805 on the glass right behind the rear view mirror and it has a good view of the street so the location works.

·
Administrator
20,017 Posts
Clever and well done. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
488 Posts
One thing to remember is that these cameras are a two way street. They can be used against you as easily as they can be used to support you.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
One thing to remember is that these cameras are a two way street. They can be used against you as easily as they can be used to support you.
Volt drivers are careful drivers 8^)

I like the installation. Sharp.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the more reason to have a stealth installation... if no one notices the camera, you can just plead the 5th and keep the footage to yourself. Isn't that what the insurance companies tell you to do anyway? Never admit fault, just say nothing, no need to incriminate yourself? Still, I feel like if something was my fault, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from apologizing or something... stupid conscience ;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
All I want it the truth. If it was my fault, then I'm happy to admit it and let my insurance pay up. I had an instance where an accident wasn't my fault, but I had no proof. As a generally good driver, I'm confident that the odds are on my side.

There have also been times where I've witnessed a crash and the video would have been helpful to figure out that case. It also helps with tickets. You now have counter evidence you weren't speeding.

As for the 5th, it wouldn't apply in a civil case and likely wouldn't in a criminal case. The video is evidence and you are required not to destroy evidence. Stealthy or not, a good lawyer is going to ask and you will be compelled to truthfully answer that you do. Destroying it or letting it be destroyed by overwriting would be spoliation of evidence and subject to sanctions.

So, yes, it is a two way street, but as a generally safe driver in a state with generous speed limits that I rarely exceed, I think have more to gain than to loose. It's not for everyone though.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What if you tucked the Mobius body into the gap between the headliner and window, would that help clean up the install?
Not sure exactly what you mean, I don't think there's any space there (I could be misunderstanding what you are talking about).

I think the whole camera, if taken outside of it's case, could fit inside the sensor cover. But that would make it a little harder to access the SD card when you want to review the recordings (and you couldn't see the LEDs to make sure it was actually working). For stealth, I'm more concerned about the lens than the body. The lens can be seen from outside the car (which by its nature is necessary, otherwise it couldn't view/record the outside) more than I hoped. Maybe if I made it a little more flush and recessed with the sensor cover it would be harder to see. I also thought of trying to remove some of the black dots on the windshield so it could view through that area (similar to the stock lane departure camera).

·
Registered
488 Posts
All I want it the truth. If it was my fault, then I'm happy to admit it and let my insurance pay up. I had an instance where an accident wasn't my fault, but I had no proof.
I am not referencing an accident.

I am referring to the fishing expeditions and seizure of phones that some in the law enforcement community have been known to do.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally had a chance to drive around with the dash cam installed and I hit a little snag that I was worried about: after a while the mobius causes interference with the TPMS receiver (it can only receiver the front 2 tires, the rears are blank). I've heard of others having this issue, especially if they mount it close to the sensor cover. Luckily, someone makes a new mobius body that is shielded, so I will try to get one of those and see if it fixes the problem. I'll update if/when I find anything new.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I did order a shielded mobius body/case ($20, seems way overpriced), hoping that it would solve the TPMS interference issue. Unfortunately it did not :( I have one more idea (wrapping the lens extension cable in tinfoil) before I will have to scrap this installation and try something else. Bummer, I really like the setup otherwise...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Sort of. Unless you are suspected of committing a specific crime the Police cannot demand the SD card as evidence. In most cases YOU and only YOU decide what footage to hand over.

But if you are suspected of committing a crime the police DO have the authority to confiscate the SD card or the entire camera and that information can be used against you in court.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Would mounting it in the upper corner of the windshield still interfere with the TPMS? Would that be far enough away from the blackbox to make everyone happy and still be concealed enough?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Would mounting it in the upper corner of the windshield still interfere with the TPMS? Would that be far enough away from the blackbox to make everyone happy and still be concealed enough?
The issue is probably the DC to DC Power Supply the OP has installed. In the case of the Mobius, it uses 5VDC and requires a step-down of the 12VDC to 5VDC for the dash cam. There are several models of dash cam that are set-up to just use the straight 12VDC and would require no additional Power Supply hence no additional source of RFI to interfere with the TPMS signal.

For example:

I have installed the Panorama S underneath the rearview mirror of the Volt and it is being powered with the 12VDC found under headliner components at the P14 Passenger Air bag Disable Indicator as shown in the example vid above and I have had no issue with TPMS interference with the this setup thus far...knock on wood!;)

Keep in mind that the K77 Remote Control Door Lock Receiver parked underneath the Inside Rearview Mirror Mount Plate Cover is the part responsible for not only receiving the remote start/door lock commands from the fob but it also periodically receives the TPMS signals from the tires which are susceptible to interference.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The issue is probably the DC to DC Power Supply the OP has installed. In the case of the Mobius, it uses 5VDC and requires a step-down of the 12VDC to 5VDC for the dash cam. There are several models of dash cam that are set-up to just use the straight 12VDC and would require no additional Power Supply hence no additional source of RFI to interfere with the TPMS signal.
No, that's not it. I'm using a standard 12V to USB car adapter (that plugs in the cigarette lighter)... just like the two other ones I've had installed in my car for months without problem for smartphones, tablets, etc. This adapter is attached on the firewall near my feet, so the other adpater I have in the top Volt dash compartment for my phone is MUCH closer to the TPMS receiver and has never caused a problem.

The issue is that the Mobius is noisy (and is mounted right next to the TPMS receiver). There's vidoes on youtube showing how it can interfere with GPS receivers (and how well the shielded case cuts down on the interference). Lots of POV drone flyers use the Mobius, and some of those systems have GPS, so they have done a lot of work on this. Really the root cause is that the manufacturer is probably some no-name in China and they don't care about interference so they didn't design to reduce it. I'm guessing a GoPro or other name brand camera would have a better design. I think others on this forum have successfully used Mobius in their Volts, they just mounted it further from the box. That is what I may have to do... though I've done two short rides since wrapping the lens extension cable with tinfoil and (knock on wood) everything is fine so far. I'll wait for some longer drives before I claim victory.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the tinfoil-wrapping didn't work, I got the warning message again this morning. Guess it's back to the drawing board. Now to test how far away the Mobius has to be from the TPMS receiver so it will still work.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well, the tinfoil-wrapping didn't work, I got the warning message again this morning. Guess it's back to the drawing board. Now to test how far away the Mobius has to be from the TPMS receiver so it will still work.

I take it you have confirmed the dash cam itself is what is producing the RFI by removing the 12V to 5V DC power supply and let it operate on internal battery only? On strictly battery power, if you still lose the TPMS then you need to relocate the camera location I suppose...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I take it you have confirmed the dash cam itself is what is producing the RFI by removing the 12V to 5V DC power supply and let it operate on internal battery only? On strictly battery power, if you still lose the TPMS then you need to relocate the camera location I suppose...
I finally had a chance to test it exactly this way: battery only, no vehicle power to the camera. Yup, still caused a TPMS failure within 20 minutes, and turning the camera off brought back TPMS. Grrr... will have to relocate it somewhere else or just buy a different camera.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts