GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I ruminated for a long time on whether to buy a Volt at all, I also ruminated about how best to set up Level 2 charging system, since the car would always be outside: EVSE outside the garage, EVSE inside the garage, cut a hole in the wall to run the cord outside, run it under the garage door, with or without a groove in the concrete, mount "nozzle" on the wall outside or on a post, etc.

We've had our Volt now for about 2 months. Attached photos show what I finally came up with. Turns out there was a little piece of gasket missing from the bottom edge of the garage door just at the right spot, so there is no pressure at all on the cord, and no need to groove the concrete. I intended the post set-up as a temporary solution until the ground thaws in the spring and I can put a 4x4 post in the ground, but I might just keep this set-up--I like how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nicely done.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I put two 1x3 I had on hand under the door. It's adjusted/so happened that when the door closes, it doesn't reverse. This leaves about a 3" wide gap with just the right height for the cord to fit without any pinching. When I'm not charging I just move the 1x3's in a few inches and close the door completely with the cord wrapped up and hung on two hooks.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My set up is almost identical to the OP. I assume the post is in front of your house and visible from the street. Personally, I would move it to the other side of the downspout to make it less visible. Hopefully close enough to still reach it from the driveway. But if not, you have done a good job making it all one dark color. Looks like a professional install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts