GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

my belowed wife has lost the spare keyfob of my Ampera, so only one is operational.
Is there any cheap and simple solution, before she lost my last one. Please, don't mention the dealer, it is surelly a multi$$$$ deal and lot of hassle.

regards

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello guys,

my belowed wife has lost the spare keyfob of my Ampera, so only one is operational.
Is there any cheap and simple solution, before she lost my last one. Please, don't mention the dealer, it is surelly a multi$$$$ deal and lot of hassle.

regards
Well, the replacement FOBs are not that expensive, relatively speaking. I know some manufacturers charge ridiculous prices. IE: $300-$500.

The issue is getting the Manual key cut. Only the dealer can do it or they have to Special order it pre-cut too your code profile. If you just had a bad transmitter you would swap the key into the replacement transmitter and program it to the vehicle yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If you still have at least one copy of the physical key you can probably go to a lock shop and have it copied and cut. There is a local bicycle and lock shop I took mine to with a new blank and they cut it for me (blank blade bought from amazon). It wasn't cheap at $45 but avoided the trip to the dealer.

I would check your owners manual though as you may need two already recognized transmitters in order to program new ones. There is a complete learn process that allows you to program if you only have one key but according to the documentation Canadian models require two. Not sure if the Ampera has different requirements.

R

·
0 Posts
This guy on eBay cut a blank for me using only a good picture I took of one of my original keys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-GMC-CHE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Or, if you have the key code, he can use that. Once the blank is cut and sent to you, there are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to simply swap out the blank on the new transmitter. Then follow the manual procedure to link the transmitter to the car.

I recently did all of this using eBay for less than $45.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts