GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My beef is I don't mind paying for a map update but it should be at decent cost not 200.00 Garmin and Tom Tom don't charge that much and your first update is free. If I had to pay the same price as the other company's I would not say a word if you look on that link in the other responce a map up date for Honda is only 99.00.

Don
I agree $200 is a bit steep. That's why I don't bother. Since I leased my Volt for three years... I will not be updating the maps. I can always use Google maps on my iPhone if there is a map issue. And Google is WAY better for finding points of interest. (Stores, restaurants. gas stations...) Heck you can even get restaurant reviews on Google Maps. And I can use Siri to locate & navigate to a destination.

The built in Nav in the Volt works better in Urban environments with tall buildings than a phone... because the Nav system has a much better antennas than the phone... AND the OEM system uses the compass and wheel sensors to "dead recon" when GPS signals fail. So the OEM Nav system is more reliable. But the phone has access to the best maps. Between the two... I have everything I need.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Fulgurite, your information is incomplete.
Yes, if you are traveling cross country and are not in 3G cell coverage, and haven't previously viewed the map, you map not have map available.
When the cars first came out, there was no caching of map data. It was awful. Then they added caching of map data, and have improved the caching. I am not saying it will ways have as speedy response times, or possibly even availability as locally stored maps, but it exists and is improving.

The only $600/year number I have heard of is for the annual service. I prefer the 4 year package that only costs $475/year.
This, however, is not data. The data plan is free for 4 years. I don't know what it will cost after that, but if it is as much as you indicate I will simply tether the car to my phone.

And, there is no voiding of the warrantee if you don't have the service done. Blatant FUD.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just received a mailing regarding the new update available for $159. I remember reading here on the forum that my 2011 Volt with nave came with one free update. I have not found that info but do remembber reading is somewhere. Anyone have a clue where I might look? I am getting older but not senile yet that I know of..... Roy Volt #1019

further digging I found this:

I talked to a Volt advisor today, and a Volt owner is entitled to a one-time free update to the GPS/Nav software with no time or mileage limit.

I decided to put off getting an update until my 5 years of free ONSTAR expires in Dec. 2015.
ChuckR - VIN: BU100233 - 12/17/10 delivery

So will call my volt advisor tomorrow and check it out, Roy

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I just received a mailing regarding the new update available for $159. I remember reading here on the forum that my 2011 Volt with nave came with one free update. I have not found that info but do remembber reading is somewhere. Anyone have a clue where I might look? I am getting older but not senile yet that I know of..... Roy Volt #1019

further digging I found this:

I talked to a Volt advisor today, and a Volt owner is entitled to a one-time free update to the GPS/Nav software with no time or mileage limit.

I decided to put off getting an update until my 5 years of free ONSTAR expires in Dec. 2015.
ChuckR - VIN: BU100233 - 12/17/10 delivery

So will call my volt advisor tomorrow and check it out, Roy
I asked my Volt adviser about the free map update, and they said there was no such thing. I have a 2012....I'm thinking maybe it only applies to 2011 owners? Or my VA is clueless...

·
Registered
240 Posts
We never upgraded my wife's Audi's maps in the first five years she owned it. When driving along the new realigned I-40 in NC which didn't find us on any road and kept telling us the "You VILL turn LEFT here" (the Audi's teutonic maiden isn't anywhere near as polite as the Volt babe) every time we passed over another road on a bridge. I finally did so.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I called my salesman and, to be brief, he denied having told me that the map updates were free. One of us is a liar (or is having hallucinations). I'm not ready to make a stink about this, in part because I seldom use the navigation function, and in part because I find it easier to just ask Siri to get me to (wherever). Anyway, I've probably already spent $50 or $75 in total trying to get a car mount for my cell phone that actually works in the Volt....

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So I called my salesman and, to be brief, he denied having told me that the map updates were free. One of us is a liar (or is having hallucinations). I'm not ready to make a stink about this, in part because I seldom use the navigation function, and in part because I find it easier to just ask Siri to get me to (wherever). Anyway, I've probably already spent $50 or $75 in total trying to get a car mount for my cell phone that actually works in the Volt....
If it's not in writing (or was recorded, in Donald Sterling's case), it never happened.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It's only lying if a salesman or F&I told you that. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
finally got time to call the volt advisor number and was told that no years get the update free. I do remember a conversation about it but nothing in writing that I have found yet. I wil.l search more here on the forum because I think that is where I first heard about it. Just think I called after that and was told better to wait a while and do it after a couple of years.

But if not free I doubt I will upgrade. Not worth the price to me. Haven't run into a destination that wasn't there in three years. Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just use your OnStar savings to get the map update if it is that important.

I leased, so no reason to spend the $200 to update. UNLESS there was a really substantial one to the area I am living in. Right now, the roads around me have been here forever and are not going anywhere.

I like vehicle built-in NAVs better than the phone - for several reasons. One it is always on and ready - two the screen is bigger, and three, if someone is using the phone you can't see the NAV screen. A dedicated tablet to the task is 2nd best - and I have used one to drive from SFL to Alaska and back before and it worked out fine. I downloaded the latest and greatest GPS maps for the app I was using at the time. Fun part was mounting it and then always having to take it inside with you. (I'm not leaving an iPad in the vehicle for all to see and steal).

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

I leased, so no reason to spend the $200 to update. UNLESS there was a really substantial one to the area I am living in. Right now, the roads around me have been here forever and are not going anywhere.

I like vehicle built-in NAVs better than the phone - for several reasons. One it is always on and ready - two the screen is bigger, and three, if someone is using the phone you can't see the NAV screen. A dedicated tablet to the task is 2nd best - and I have used one to drive from SFL to Alaska and back before and it worked out fine. I downloaded the latest and greatest GPS maps for the app I was using at the time. Fun part was mounting it and then always having to take it inside with you. (I'm not leaving an iPad in the vehicle for all to see and steal).
Yeah, sorta hard to have a built-in NAV stolen....well, unless the thief is really determined. :cool:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Especially since a lot of radios are vin locked... And in the Volt that would really stink since that screen does a whole lot more than just radio and NAV. The thief would need another Volt to use it as well. This is becoming the case with a lot of vehicles nowadays.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts

So where on the volt did you mount your ipad?

I've solved the "someone using the phone while trying to navigate" problem by supplying everyone in the vehicle and iPhone and an iPad. Alas my monthly phone bill used to be equivalent to a car payment until I switched to a value plan. I'm happy to knock down my bill $100 per month in exchange for paying full price for a phone. The math works in this case even though people gawk at the idea of paying $600+ for a phone.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts