GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Good:
-The interior and exterior design look fantastic, looks are subjective but I love it. Cadillac is to be commended for sticking very closely to the Converj concept design – a true coupe would have been nice instead of the massive B-pillar but if that keeps it stiff, I’m OK with it. I have the Cashmere interior which does not mix in the carbon fiber elements. Pick wood or carbon fiber – not both, I like the wood.
-Driving experience is first rate. I love the smoothness of the electric drive and the near silence in the cockpit. This is my commuting car, not my attack a twisty mountain road car. I’m relaxed when I get to work and I’m relaxed when I get home.
-Range is much better than EPA advertised. I get over 40 miles easily (70mph on the highway) and get 50+ if I keep it at 60mph on the highway. I live in San Diego which helps because the temperature is mild but I do have a 1000’ elevation change in my 46 mile round trip commute. Mostly downhill to work and mostly uphill going home.

I really like the car overall but there are some shortcomings. I will not hold it to its asking price because the market has spoken on that.

The Bad / Things that should be better than they are:

It’s been mentioned multiple times by others but the backup camera is pretty weak. I don’t know if it is the camera or the screen resolution but it should be better. My father-in-law’s CR-V has a better display.
-The CUE should be faster/smoother/easier but I have never read a glowing review of any luxury maker’s infotainment system.
-Time will tell, but the leather used for the seats does not seem to be high quality. I base this on the car my ELR replaced – a 2003 SAAB 9-5 Linear (the base model). The leather in the SAAB seemed thicker and still looked like new after 12 years and 120,000+ miles. The seats are very comfortable (I love them), I just question the leather.
-At a minimum, there should be a Sport+ mode that forces the generator to drive the wheels with the electric motor in addition to the current Sport settings to “maximize” performance - Would still be lame by sports car standards but why would you make a car that is faster AFTER the battery runs down?? I bought the car as it is so I was satisfied with its level of performance but I understand why most people are disappointed. The car should be quicker than it is.
-The gas and brake pedals are ugly and out of place in an otherwise very nice interior. Put some aluminum pedals down there. They’re not so obvious in the black interior but with the cashmere - they don’t go.
-In a similar theme to the pedals of getting close but not going all the way, why have every light on the car be LED except the reverse and license plate lights? 4 LEDs away from being able to claim 100% LED illumination (on high tech "halo" car). They might have even improved the reverse camera at night.

The Ugly / If you want to be taken seriously as a brand synonymous with luxury, these things should not be on ANY Cadillac at any price point:

-Paint quality is sub-par. I’m not a detailer but I can see imperfections in the paint and slight color differences between panels. I have the red tint coat which I guess is “special” since it costs more but if you can’t do it well, don’t do it.
-Hood that needs to lifted and propped up instead of using a gas strut - cheap.
-Trunk lid with big hinges that swing into and take up space in the trunk instead of non-intrusive scissor hinges. It’s a coupe, people will be in the trunk a lot. My old SAAB had a gas strut for the hood and scissor hinges in the trunk.
Also, what is that electronic thing that protrudes down into the trunk? That couldn't go somewhere else?
-A front license plate holder that requires holes to be drilled into the bumper to be riveted on – really? Even the dealer was ashamed.

As I think of more I'll come back and edit.
Bodie

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
people will be in the trunk a lot.
The mob will be happy to hear you can still put a body in the back of this Caddy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mob will be happy to hear you can still put a body in the back of this Caddy.
-Ha! You could put at least 1, maybe 2 bodies in there if you had to.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my question would be, would you buy it again? Paint quality I cannot understand, however my '13 Mustang in white didn't match front to back but I figured it was a Mustang and its not expected too; On an ELR I would take it back and have them fix it.

If the Volt 2 wasn't so close I could almost go for one of these if it was loaded at 50k or slightly less. Almost but two people have written here that make me pause. Perhaps a loss leader lease.

BTW, how are insurance rates on these?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
however my '13 Mustang in white didn't match front to back but I figured it was a Mustang and its not expected too;
Explain this please.

·
Registered
496 Posts
-The gas and brake pedals are ugly and out of place in an otherwise very nice interior. Put some aluminum pedals down there. They’re not so obvious in the black interior but with the cashmere - they don’t go.
-In a similar theme to the pedals of getting close but not going all the way, why have every light on the car be LED except the reverse and license plate lights? 4 LEDs away from being able to claim 100% LED illumination (on high tech "halo" car). They might have even improved the reverse camera at night.

The Ugly / If you want to be taken seriously as a brand synonymous with luxury, these things should not be on ANY Cadillac at any price point:

-Paint quality is sub-par. I’m not a detailer but I can see imperfections in the paint and slight color differences between panels. I have the red tint coat which I guess is “special” since it costs more but if you can’t do it well, don’t do it.
-Hood that needs to lifted and propped up instead of using a gas strut - cheap.
-Trunk lid with big hinges that swing into and take up space in the trunk instead of non-intrusive scissor hinges. It’s a coupe, people will be in the trunk a lot. Not a big deal to me but the trunk should close itself with the push of a button. Manual close is OK but I shouldn’t have to slam it about 3 times to get it to stay shut. My old SAAB had a gas strut for the hood and scissor hinges in the trunk. The trunk always closed on the first try.
Also, what is that electronic thing that protrudes down into the trunk? That couldn't go somewhere else?
-A front license plate holder that requires holes to be drilled into the bumper to be riveted on – really? Even the dealer was ashamed.
Those are just small little things - but they make a big difference if taken care of properly....I mean, it is a Cadillac after all.

One should not expect less from a Brand that (once claimed) is "standard of the world".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
my question would be, would you buy it again?
I would at the price I paid. I really like the car. The paint isn't awful and correcting it would probably be more trouble than its worth. I'm probably the only one who notices. It's just unsat for a luxury car. If Cadillac wants to be world class again, they need to pay attention to details like these and make world class products. They can go to the parts bin for stuff like alternators, window motors, brake boosters, stuff I don't see, but stuff the customer interacts with daily should have a premium feel, function and appearance. A lot of the car meets that standard (for me), some doesn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are just small little things - but they make a big difference if taken care of properly....I mean, it is a Cadillac after all.

One should not expect less from a Brand that (once claimed) is "standard of the world".
Exactly! I love the car, and as an American I want Cadillac to succeed and be, in the words of Donald Trump, "The Best". So don't cut corners, especially the corners people will see everyday.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It’s been mentioned multiple times by others but the backup camera is pretty weak. I don’t know if it is the camera or the screen resolution but it should be better. My father-in-law’s CR-V has a better display.
Please please please report this to your dealership and demand an improved reverse camera. If every ELR owner complained about this crappy camera, Cadillac might actually do something about it. When my dealership reported my complaint up the ladder, the response it received was, "that's the first we've heard of it" despite us seeing many people posting the same complaint on this and other forums.

Posting here won't fix the problem, but reporting the problem to your dealership might. (It's not guaranteed, because Cadillac has basically given up on the 2014 ELR, and it's well known that Cadillac's promise to keep the C.U.E. system updated for current owners was a complete lie.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
In my expierence, any car robotically painted will have that dreaded "orange peel". The ELR is no exception, but darker colors accentuate it more. My silver is not too bad, but since it is built along with everything else at Hamtramak, what could Cadillac do short of hand-sanding? (Like my LS460 was).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The trunk is pretty big for a small car. My 9-year-old had to try it out. He fit easily and he's not a small kid.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
In my expierence, any car robotically painted will have that dreaded "orange peel". The ELR is no exception, but darker colors accentuate it more. My silver is not too bad, but since it is built along with everything else at Hamtramak, what could Cadillac do short of hand-sanding? (Like my LS460 was).
Mine looks pretty good. (Red/cashmere) The paint is rough though. As though they didn't color-sand and buff. Which they probably didn't.

When I get a chance I'll probably take it to a detailer that can buff n fluff the thing. The dealer's car wash is just a bird-poop remover. The paint has little scratch marks everywhere after they got done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm getting adjusted to mine, and the learning curve for CUE is steep, but most functions are now set to the way I like them. My biggest complaint (disappointment) so far is the lack of auto dimming outside mirrors.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Loving having the key separate from the keychain as I've had in our Audi. So handy to have it in the little jean pocket when away from the car.

Dislike the ever-so-slight height difference between the armrest on the driver door and the center console (or is it an angular difference in the center console?).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Explain this please.
Missed this question. The nose and tail of the Mustang are not metal, plastic likely. The tail was visibly yellowing and the nose only got better after it was repainted following a deer strike. I wrote Ford about it and they told me its not possible to match paint across dissimilar materials, I wrote back telling them both Mazda and Infiniti could, perhaps they need to learn how to use paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts