GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading all the problems that the VOLTS seem to come up with I was weiry when I was driving tonight. I was about 3 miles from the house, driving 30 mph when the dash screen lit up yellow on the right side and some error message on the dash.

I called On-Star for info

Anti Braking System C05od

Engine and transmission not functioning properly P25A2

Engine Electrical system
12 Batt Sys

Steering assist at reduced operation...

Take car to service within 7 days..

So I have to call the dealer and make an appointment. Just 1000 miles, GRRrrrrrrrr....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yikes. Hopefully it's just a hiccup. Keep us up to date.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Bummer. Good thinking to call OnStar. Doesn't seem critical given the 7 day window. Could be something minor with the 12v. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This keeps getting better.
I called at 8:20 my time, 9:20 EST to a volt adviser to find out which dealers have trained techs for the volt. The recording said they were unavailable. I get transferred to another person who cannot answer questiona about the VOLT but was going to transfer me to the volt advisor. This person comes back on the phone, says the VOLT advisors will not be available till 11:00am.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
This keeps getting better.
I called at 8:20 my time, 9:20 EST to a volt adviser to find out which dealers have trained techs for the volt. The recording said they were unavailable. I get transferred to another person who cannot answer questiona about the VOLT but was going to transfer me to the volt advisor. This person comes back on the phone, says the VOLT advisors will not be available till 11:00am.
Advisors are typically available 9AM-9PM ET, M-F. That's probably not a big help now, but...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sorry to hear that...Could always search for cars for sale on chevy.com and if you see Volts good odds they'll service them...I'm sure a few Gen1 owner have had this issue, if you tow the car to a Chevy dealer who doesn't service Volt, can you have onstar re-tow it for free to another dealer?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well after reading all the problems that the VOLTS seem to come up with I was weiry when I was driving tonight. I was about 3 miles from the house, driving 30 mph when the dash screen lit up yellow on the right side and some error message on the dash.

Engine Electrical system
12 Batt Sys

So I have to call the dealer and make an appointment. Just 1000 miles, GRRrrrrrrrr....
Looks like your left rear wheel speed sensor is having trouble. This would make sense why it's highlighting your anti-lock brakes won't work. Usually there's a harness for the speed sensor about 1 to 2 ft above the rear wheel - I would make sure harness is clipped in tight.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like your left rear wheel speed sensor is having trouble. This would make sense why it's highlighting your anti-lock brakes won't work. Usually there's a harness for the speed sensor about 1 to 2 ft above the rear wheel - I would make sure harness is clipped in tight.
Finally got through to an adviser at 11:30. It was reassuring that he was as perplexed as I was. I am guessing they only direct you but have no information about what is happening to the vehicle. I asked which Dealers had a technion trained on the Volt, and he could not answer but was happy to give me the dealers names near me. That was sort of wasted effort on my part. I have an appointment tomorrow a.m. Didn't ask for the codes just said they have to get the car to correct the problem.

Do excuse my fast typing and what may seem an angry style. I am a bit frustrated and beginning to doubt the reliability of the volt... What really concerns me is the comments where owners are driving the VOlt down the highway and it breaks down, no warning. At least a piston buster starts making noise or steams or something and the owner can sometimes do a fast repair to get home. With the Volt, your plans are cancilled and the car gets towed for a week or more stay at the dealer. " YABBA YABBA DABBA DOOOO ".

Ok, carry on....

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
Finally got through to an adviser at 11:30. It was reassuring that he was as perplexed as I was. I am guessing they only direct you but have no information about what is happening to the vehicle. I asked which Dealers had a technion trained on the Volt, and he could not answer but was happy to give me the dealers names near me. That was sort of wasted effort on my part. I have an appointment tomorrow a.m. Didn't ask for the codes just said they have to get the car to correct the problem.

Do excuse my fast typing and what may seem an angry style. I am a bit frustrated and beginning to doubt the reliability of the volt... What really concerns me is the comments where owners are driving the VOlt down the highway and it breaks down, no warning. At least a piston buster starts making noise or steams or something and the owner can sometimes do a fast repair to get home. With the Volt, your plans are cancilled and the car gets towed for a week or more stay at the dealer. " YABBA YABBA DABBA DOOOO ".

Ok, carry on....
It sounds like you expected a Volt Advisor to be a Volt Technician but they are not. They can help make appointments and likely tell you "which dealers have trained techs for the volt". Diagnosing your car? No.

Take a few deep breaths and let the dealer diagnose and repair whatever needs fixing. They'll get it handled. For the record, my 2011 has been essentially problem free. I did take it in for a few things, one at 32k miles and another at 70k miles.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

Engine Electrical system
12 Batt Sys

Can you please double check on what DTCs you were told from OnStar?
P25A2 is just a generic code indicating the ABS system has commanded the MIL
But there is no such DTC as C050D
Could it have been C056D perhaps??

WopOnTour

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

WopOnTour
AT the point that the problem happened I more or less declared the VOLT as an expensive electric Toy. When I called the advisor, I didn't have any expectations because I didn't know what to expect. I had a Advisor on line once about the nav and he sure wanted to make some changes over the phone so I don't know what to think. I regress to getting advice and happy about it.

The car went in today at 7:00am. They just wanted a general idea of what was wrong, didn't want the codes and a few minutes later approached me and said it had a "few" things that came up and they need to keep the car. This is what I have learned to expect from reading comments here and is the primary reason I no long regard the VOLT as a reliable vehicle for long trips. He said the problem has to be a glitch in the software. This Volt was built May 15, 2016 and has run up 1000 miles so for a glitch to turn up now seems strange to me. I left the house, was 3 miles from home, just taking my time at about 30 mph when the dash lit up...... At least it didn't shut the car down.
We'll see what they find and how long it takes. Glad I was not going to work or on vacation.

No Unless I miss wrote that code, it looks like C050d. But that is a circular digit, it could be a 6, is it an important code? I was in the car and she was talking quickly at the time and I'm no stenographer by a long shot.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Please get back with us as soon as you find out what the issue is ... especially to those of us with less than 1k miles.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is what I have learned to expect from reading comments here and is the primary reason I no long regard the VOLT as a reliable vehicle for long trips. He said the problem has to be a glitch in the software. This Volt was built May 15, 2016 and has run up 1000 miles so for a glitch to turn up now seems strange to me. I left the house, was 3 miles from home, just taking my time at about 30 mph when the dash lit up...... At least it didn't shut the car down.
We'll see what they find and how long it takes. Glad I was not going to work or on vacation.
I agree that issues like this are very troubling and do very much concern me. I often wonder if it's just a matter of time and frankly, I was hesitant to move from Toyota to GM because of (real or perceived) reliability issues with GM. However for what it's worth I've taken journeys of >500 miles round trip, regularly traveling 100 miles in a day, sometimes upwards of 185 round trip and have had no issues. I have almost 12k miles on mine.

Best,
Rick

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
I no long regard the VOLT as a reliable vehicle for long trips
Seems like a totally reasonable reaction to one data point.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Seems like a totally reasonable reaction to one data point.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not....

True, it's only 1 data point, but it's not an objective data point if it's you whose car is dead on the side of the road. It doesn't help to understand intellectually that it may be only one car out of 1000 or 10,000 when it's YOURS and you are possibly put in danger.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
135 Posts

WopOnTour
Not true - that is a chassis code indicating bad data from the speed sensor.. I've replaced sensors before and entire hubs, they go bad but on a new car I would assume it's a loose connection.

When I trailered my 2017 ACC Volt home I was careful not to get the wheel strap tangled in the harness but I could imagine professional transporters may be in a bit more of a rush and not so careful

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not....

True, it's only 1 data point, but it's not an objective data point if it's you whose car is dead on the side of the road. It doesn't help to understand intellectually that it may be only one car out of 1000 or 10,000 when it's YOURS and you are possibly put in danger.

Best,
Rick

I was pointing out the absurdity, yes. If—after it is repaired—this continues to happen, you'd have cause to be concerned about reliability for long trips. Let's see what the dealer finds before jumping to broad conclusions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was pointing out the absurdity, yes. If—after it is repaired—this continues to happen, you'd have cause to be concerned about reliability for long trips. Let's see what the dealer finds before jumping to broad conclusions.
I don't want to get into jumping conclusions so I won't, I just read that VOLT owners get stranded and the car ends up staying at the dealer at least a day or so up to weeks. Not a good record. But thanks for the thought.

It sounds like you expected a Volt Advisor to be a Volt Technician but they are not.
Not at all. I wanted to find a dealer with a qualified VOLT tech. He couldn't share that .
It SEEMS his ability to direct you is to find a Dealer in your ZipCode. Don't take this as a complaint, even though it sounds like one. I did find out that the advisors answer the phones at at 11:00 am, EST, not 9:00 am EST, and if you get transferred to another operator, they will attempt to send you back to the department that the phone answer machine sent you from. It has to be a complex phone system.
HOWEVER.. I was able to get things started.

OK TODAY, Fri Jul 15 at about 11:00 I received a call from the dealership.
The problem that caused the problem is believed to be a speed sensor to one of the wheels. The car has 4 total, 1 at each wheel location. When asked what may have caused the fault he said water could have gotten into the sensor. Since the VOLT has never been driven in the rain or taken to a car wash, this does not help my expectations of this being a reliable vehicle.
THE PART IS ON ORDER as the dealerships do not stock most VOLT parts. Expect it to take a day to get the part...
That is the latest...............................unless they find additional problems.

I am having troubles getting to post here. I will post when I am able to but the system seems to just stop for some reason when I try to log in. I will try to keep you posted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
... When asked what may have caused the fault he said water could have gotten into the sensor ...
The guy was totally guessing. Why he felt the need to say more than "we don't know" is puzzling. Those sensors are no doubt sold to GM by a supplier. That happens too much and the supplier will be on the hot seat.

Good to know the problem has been solved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts