GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had my '17 LT for a little over a week now, and I think I've been exposed to it enough to give my initial impressions, and compare it to my 2012.

I'll start with styling. Simply put, the '17 just looks a lot more refined than my '12. It's like the '12 was the 2nd draft of a paper, while the '17 is the final version. The lines on the '17 flow a lot better, and has a more aggressive look overall. Definitely like the glossy black trim at the bottom of the '17 compared to the dull matte finish of my 12's trim, and the contrast with the red paint makes it pop even more. The rear of the '17 still looks a little funky from certain angles, but that's the only thing that comes close to a criticism of the exterior styling.

Now for the interior. Biggest obvious change is the center stack. I like how I can now actually turn off the HVAC system with a single button press, compared to the "Hold the fan speed down arrow and wait for 5 seconds" in the '12. The hi-res center display is also a very nice upgrade. Having Android Auto is also a big plus. I almost always used Google Maps on my phone for navigation in my '12 (especially since the built-in NAV has become almost useless due to being outdated, and I'm not paying $200 for a slightly less outdated version), so being able to project it to the center display is pretty sweet.
Also, I've taken advantage of the '17's 5th "seating position". Nice to be able to fit 3 kids in the rear (and 5 total passengers) for around town driving.

However, it makes me scratch my head a little that every interior light in the '17 is LED...EXCEPT for the rear hatch light. Really GM? Couldn't toss in 1 more LED? I've already replaced the rear hatch light with an LED.

Performance wise, the '17 pretty much trumps the '12 in every way. More range, better efficiency, better acceleration, more nimble driving feel, and (finally) HOLD MODE. Slightly higher charge rate is not much to write home about, but it basically allows the '17 to charge fully almost as fast as my '12 despite the ~4 kWh usable capacity difference. Haven't really done a full EV range test yet, but in mostly highway driving with the AC on, I've managed to get no less than 50 EV miles on a single charge.

Basically, just like GM execs have stated, the Gen 2 Volt is pretty much improved over the Gen 1 in every way (styling aside, which is completely subjective). I'm still perfectly happy driving the '12 (wife is mostly driving the '17 now), but the '17 seems to be a notch better across the board.

FYI, the '17 is an LT with just comfort package and siren red paint as options. My '12 was almost fully loaded (minus the expensive wheels).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice comparison especially for those of us that waited (or had to wait) for the Gen 2. I know I'm impressed with the car and look forward to seeing more EVs in the future.

... (wife is mostly driving the '17 now) ...
Ain't that the way it is? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice comparison! I had exactly the same upgrade done just a month ago. I went from fully loaded red 2012 to a fully loaded pearl while 2017 Premier (less ACC).
I'd like to add couple of note from my observation:
- I'm really annoyed by GM removing the home link (garage door opener) from the trim. Really stupid decision.
- I noticed that in Sport mode I have to be gentle with my right foot as pushing too hard will spin the wheels almost at every start which scares some people around sometimes.
- I love all the new safety features they added to the 2017 Premier and collision alert helped to change my driving style to a bit less aggressive.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Good write up...Other than the non-body color lower rear and the fact the rear just sits a little too high for my tastes, I like the rear...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had my car just over two months now, and here is my perspective. I started out by utilizing the bro1999 review above.

Exterior:
I'll start with exterior styling. Simply put, the '17 just looks good.* The lines in the Generation 2 car flow a lot better than the Generation 1 Volt.* The contrast of the gloss black trim with the siren red paint looks wonderful.* The back end sticks up in the air for aerodynamic reasons and probably safety.* The down side is you can't see very much out the back window.* You must learn to compensate for the lack of visibility by using the warning features in the car.* It tells you if it's safe to change lanes via a yellow caution light in the side mirrors. *I am now totally dependent on this system. *I back up the car using the sensors to tell me if the is a car approaching or a person is near the car. *There are a lot of warning systems. *It's a new world for me, one after you learn to trust it, is much safer. *The backup camera is a bonus, but I'm still mostly utilize the side mirrors to back the car into the garage as that's how I did it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee for decades. *It's another new learning experience backing a Volt up.

Inside:
The interior is thought out.* The screens are high resolution and you can read them*while wearing*polarized sunglasses. There is a knob for the fan speed.**There is a knob for radio volume.* There is a knob for the digital temperature readout.* It's a single temp system, no his and her temps on each side.* The touch screen response is quick.* Apple Car Play is great. *IOS 10 eliminated a lot of bugs. *All my music is at my fingertips.* I can engage via the steering wheel button using Siri voice commands to find a playlist, album, artist, genre, song, etc.* I can use the Apple Maps app, it's much better with the IOS 10 upgrade. *It shows traffic flow on the map. The only app I'm really missing in the setup is Waze, the best traffic and display map software out there.*The AC works fine.*Heated*steering wheel and seats front and back. *High beam lighting can be utilized in an automatic mode, which is a good thing.

Mods:
I've upgraded the mirror to a HomeLink unit with auto-dimming.* It just keeps the garage door opener clutter off the visor.* I've swapped out many incandescent bulbs for LED's.* Hatch, license plate, stop light (come on quicker so someone doesn't hit me in the rear) and the rear turn signal lights. *I've accented the rims by blacking out the non machined portion of the wheel. *I have blacked out the lower grill to improve the front end image. *I have also added a somewhat Mickey Mouse 'Volt shelf' in the back to hide contents in the trunk. *It's functional, improves the sub woofer performance, and reduces road noise per votes from other forum members. *Another addition is a 'Volt screen' at the very bottom of the front grill, as some forum members have had big rock break the AC system or radiator, as the factory openings are big.

Options:
I loaded the car.* It has side blind zone alert with lane change alert.* It has rear cross traffic alert.* It has lane keep assist (which forces you to use your blinker when changing lanes to avoid an alert) if you have it turned on.* I don't use it.* It has intelligent headlamps.* Just leave it on auto, and they come on when they need to, go to high beam if no one is around, and can be programmed to shut off immediately, after a 30 seconds, or a 60 second type interval. The car has forward collision alert. It has Adaptive Cruise Control (a must have in my book, but you still must pay attention and learn it's limitations) with full speed front automatic braking. *It has the illuminated charge port.* The only factory option I'm missing and I'm going to add is the interior ambient lighting.* If I melt down the car during installation, this will be my last note as I'll probably be shot by a loved one.* I'm leaning toward having a dealer do the install. *I'm finding that these new cars with all their electrical sensors, are difficult to work on. *For example, the front seats have a special connector with around 20 very small wires to sense whether or not to deploy the airbag. *I can't figure out how to get the connector apart. *The shoulder strap is bolted to the seat. *It's not just 4 bolts and you can take the bucket seat out like in all my previous cars.*

What's it missing:
Electric seats with memory. Cooling Seats. These former items add weight, and that's not on the agenda yet for this car per the General. It also keeps the cost down I guess.* It's a "people's" car.* Note the HomeLink stuff mentioned above.* I would also in this car prefer the rear view mirror be a live camera picture.* Vision out the back window leaves a lot to be desired. *The Bolt will have a rear camera for regular driving, so my bet is the 2018 Volt will have one. *This could be a future mod. *It's also missing a spare tire and jack. *You can cobble together a system on eBay for $150 to $200, or buy a factory kit for $350.

Conclusion:
Overall, the car is so quiet and solid,*it's unreal.* It's fun to drive, handles, stops and accelerates quickly enough for me.* It has 295 ft pounds of torque.* It's not a stone. It will honestly do everything on battery for 99% of my driving.* If I drive it 35 mph, it will go 60+ miles on juice.* If it runs out of juice, it will still go another 320 - 370 miles with a full tank of gas.* The switch between gas and battery is seamless, you most likely won't notice it in town, but you will hear a slight engine noise on the freeway, only because you are used to total silence.* If I drive over 55, I use the ICE. The tires thump on freeway seams.* A quiet set of tires will probably kill the noise, but also kill the mileage.* It's 37-42 mpg running on the gas engine.* It takes 13 hours to charge it from a 120 outlet at 12 amps if totally discharged.* It takes 4.5 hours to charge it from a 220v outlet I have in my garage. * I utilize the cruise control, and it utilizes the regen to slow the car down to maintain the set speed on a hill.* I have to say living without an adaptive cruise control would be very difficult now that I experienced it. If you have a heavy foot, you eat the battery, but you do have the engine for backup. *It's easy to speed in as there is no noise to tell you how fast you are going. *I might get in trouble.*

I have applied for carpool stickers. *I got $5k off sticker. *I got a California rebate from Governor Moonbeam. *Will get $7500 save on taxes next year. *Net cost is $33.5k out the door for me. *There is no range anxiety in this car. *It's not perfect, but it is the future at a very reasonable cost. *My other alternatives were at least another 40k. *I believe Chevrolet does not advertise these cars as they cost a lot more to manufacture than they sell them for. *The rebates made the decision a slam dunk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
there are also set backs. the biggest set back is the removal of the rear sight glass. the rear visibility in the gen2 is much limited compared to the gen 1. Another set back is the removal of the turning lights on the side-mirrors. My gen2 had the "chuggle" problem early on (with the recall updates, the transition is still noticeable), in comparison, the battery-to-gas transition in the gen1 is much smoother.

some of my minor gripes were described in this early post:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?213777-OFFICIAL-MY17-(-amp-beyond)-Improvement-tweaks-want-list...-(not-options-features)&p=2946057#post2946057

now gripes#1 and 2 are resolved. but others remain on my wishlist.

overall, the gen2 is still a big step forward because of the much longer AER, the 0.5 additional seat as well as the much functional dash.

the look of the car is rather a personal matter. I personally like the gen1's look a bit more. the gen2 has a sharp look, but also looses it identity, because you can see design elements from other cars, such as civic, and elantra; especially, it looks just like its cousin cruze. In comparison, the gen1 has a more unique look, especially the nose cone.

here are some side-by-side comparisons of the two models

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?167914-Do-you-prefer-Gen1-or-Gen2-(2016)-exterior-styling-design&p=2975945#post2975945

1 - 6 of 6 Posts