GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

As some of you know my 2011 CPO Volt was destroyed by a lightning strike to the building it was plugged into while charging. I found a fantastic deal on a 2016 that has never been titled or registered in the color I want, and fully loaded with every factory feature that was available on the 2016, I don't know about dealership added options yet but I suspect it does not have many if any of them.

With 124 miles on the odometer it is showing 29.4 lifetime MPG :) I think selling it to me is the first time the battery has ever been charged up! If my math is right they used 4.22 gallons of gasoline and zero KW of electricity before selling it to me.

Now I just need to configure android auto, and get onstar of some kind (either trial subscription, or bare bones basic) so I can use either the onstar app or the mychevrolet app. I always thought the onstar app was clunky, is the mychevy one better?

Car will be fully charged in an hour or so (it was mostly charged, and looks like a full tank of gas when it arrived). Then out for a night of fun and back to charging to be ready for my morning commute. How long does the car stay "on" if it is left that way while not being used? I suspect the truck driver left it turned on when he loaded it on the truck, it used 1.4 KW since it was fully charged from being loaded and unloaded. The dreaded triple honk is a small price to pay to get auto shut down after 3 hours of unattended operation! It would have sucked to have had the car start up and burn through an entire tank of gas during transport.

I have about a 50 mile round trip commute at a steady 55 mph for the majority of the trip, but AC use is pretty heavy in Mississippi... we will see how it goes.

Living down here, the first modification will be tint!

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congratulations on the new Volt! Sorry your 2011 got zapped. But the gen-2 replacement sounds nothing short of great. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the new car!
I got my 2016 LT on Jul 7 during the big sale, also loaded with a bunch of options I didn't want, but the dealership knocked off about $1100 beyond the 20%, so they were all free anyway.
When the salesman had me push the Onstar button in the car, he said 'you get 6 months for free', but the Onstar voice, said 'oh I see you have a new Volt, so you get 3 years for free!', so I said Ok!
So push the blue button and get registered. It appears the Onstar app is the same as the MyChevy app, at least on Android, but there are 2 websites that show different info: stats are tracked at MyVolt, and controls are accessible through Onstar app or Onstar site.
Have fun! I am comparing this car very favorably to the 12-13 Volvos I've owned over the last 35 years! It is much more powerful in the high end than I anticipated, coming off a 300hp V70R!
Chris

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congrats on your new Volt after the terrible experience with the lightning event on your old Volt. I only test drove the Gen 1 Volt, but I really like the Gen 2 Volt. Happy driving!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Now I just need to configure android auto, and get onstar of some kind (either trial subscription, or bare bones basic) so I can use either the onstar app or the mychevrolet app. I always thought the onstar app was clunky, is the mychevy one better?
It should come with a 3 year trial of Onstar. The MyChevy app has mostly the same features of the Onstar app, but does seem to function a bit smoother in my experience.

Congrats on the replacement, glad to hear they totalled your other one instead of jerking you around. I had been following that thread, but forgot to check back for the outcome.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
One round trip commute to work and my lifetime mpg has risen from 29.4 to 38.3 :) At this rate the lifetime mpg display will be maxed out in a month of commuting. Yesterday was unusually cool for summer in MS, and I used very little climate control. On a 38 mile round trip I used 9.5 kWh, just a hair over 4 miles per kWh. So figuring from 14.5 kWh usable capacity I should have around 58 miles of range at 55 mph. That will obviously go down when the temperatures climb :)

I would love to be all electric, but stuff is too spread out here for that, I will be all electric for my daily commute and be satisfied with that and not obsess over gasoline use.

I am reading the owners manual to get a handle on the displays. It seems a bit less intuitive than the first generation Volt, I was able to figure out everything on the first gen buy touching buttons and twisting knobs and seeing what they did... actually needing to read the manual a bit to get a handle on the 2nd gen.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello and congrads. I'll bet if you hear a storm in the middle of the night you'll be quite motivated to go out and unplug the volt

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello and congrads. I'll bet if you hear a storm in the middle of the night you'll be quite motivated to go out and unplug the volt
Naaa, last time there was no storm in the area and the lightning strike that took out my car was the only lightning that day... nature decided I needed to upgrade :)

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes I forget that I am now living in the South in what up north would be considered a small to medium sized town, but down here is considered a city. This means that if you want to do business you need to take a day off from work to get it done because nothing but restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations are open on the weekend! Imagine my surprise when I jumped on the internet to find out where to go to get tint installed on my new car this morning only to find out that all places that do tint are closed on the weekend! I guess I will see if I can leave early one day next week and make a call during lunch on Monday to schedule an appointment.

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for giggles I pumped up the tires to 44 psi and went for a drive. Ambient temperature between 76 and 78, tire pressure 44 psi, most of the drive was at a steady 55 mph with a short time at 45 mph at the start and end of the trip (about 4 miles total) and 3 areas where you slow down to 40 mph for curves. Had to stop for people pulling off the road, or other reasons 4 times... and noticed after the first 4 miles that the AC was on Eco instead of being fan only.

Since GM never charged the battery during the 124 miles they used it, it had low expectations out of a full charge, guestimating 44 miles of range, my first commute to work it only guestimated me at 38 miles of range if I remember correctly. Anyway, leaving the world of guestimates behind and going to reality land I drove 60.5 miles on 13.9 kWh. The guess o meter said I had a mile left. If I remember right I should get around 14.5 kWh out of the battery, so if I had gone all the way until the ICE kicked on I should have gotten around 63 miles of range. I wonder how much 4 miles of Eco AC use affected this?

Later,

Keith

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Just for giggles I pumped up the tires to 44 psi and went for a drive. Ambient temperature between 76 and 78, tire pressure 44 psi, most of the drive was at a steady 55 mph with a short time at 45 mph at the start and end of the trip (about 4 miles total) and 3 areas where you slow down to 40 mph for curves. Had to stop for people pulling off the road, or other reasons 4 times... and noticed after the first 4 miles that the AC was on Eco instead of being fan only.

Since GM never charged the battery during the 124 miles they used it, it had low expectations out of a full charge, guestimating 44 miles of range, my first commute to work it only guestimated me at 38 miles of range if I remember correctly. Anyway, leaving the world of guestimates behind and going to reality land I drove 60.5 miles on 13.9 kWh. The guess o meter said I had a mile left. If I remember right I should get around 14.5 kWh out of the battery, so if I had gone all the way until the ICE kicked on I should have gotten around 63 miles of range. I wonder how much 4 miles of Eco AC use affected this?

Later,

Keith
There's a screen that tells you what % battery was used for driving, HVAC, and other stuff like battery management.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a screen that tells you what % battery was used for driving, HVAC, and other stuff like battery management.
Yeah, but how accurate is it? It only registered 1% for climate control, and if I had used zero AC I suspect it may have read zero... is the blower fan that insignificant on fan only? Or is it making guestimates based on settings rather than making actual power consumption measurements?

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
ECO AC seems pretty efficient. I was driving around today with ECO AC and recirc turned on. At rest, the cars power draw was almost always the usual 0.5 kw. So it was not much different than just Fan Only.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I suspect the truck driver left it turned on when he loaded it on the truck, it used 1.4 KW since it was fully charged from being loaded and unloaded. The dreaded triple honk is a small price to pay to get auto shut down after 3 hours of unattended operation!
Just FYI, all Volts since 2014 will automatically shut down after 150 minutes of inactivity.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just FYI, all Volts since 2014 will automatically shut down after 150 minutes of inactivity.
OK, cool... so it was 2.5 hours of unattended operation instead of 3 hours. They had done that recall on my 2011 so I knew it was somewhere in that range from when people lost their minds over the triple honk of doom :)

Keith

1 - 15 of 15 Posts