GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called the GM hotline Friday AM that one poster supplied. They confirmed my 2014 would be built week of 10/14.
My New 2014 Volt Released to Shipper, but GM status was behind For some odd reason I checked the web site to see if it showed anything. Well it said built as of Sunday morning and release to shipper. So it seems they are ahead of schedule. So lets see if they built it Wed or Thurs, good days as not Monday or Friday and did quality checks by Friday..not so good if they did it too quickly...then released on Saturday for shipping...hey they made it just in time of my 50th bday that same week!

More importantly. Any last suggestions from experienced purchasers regarding dealer interaction at time of delivery? I have already reminded the sales guy to personally check that the tire kit, charger, cloth storage bag, rear area screen and 2 fobs are all available with the car as well as the manual of course. Is there anything else that I should ensure comes with it or to do? I am asking they not wash it especially if it comes clean and frankly I think the kids they got doing the work might give me premature swirl markings on the paint job. I would rather wash it myself yet have it clean enough so I can inspect it at day of delivery on a nice sunny day.

Unfortunately I have to wait to take delivery until after 10/23 when my final October GM rebate card performs its final billing cycle closure.

I want to thank all of you hear that have shared your experiences to date as I like to learn all I can before I buy and use a product of whatever kind.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Honestly picking up a new Volt is like picking up every other new car. No real difference. Just be sure to take the time to check out the body for any damage in shipping. Also making sure you have a full tank it nice -- you might not need one for a while.

I think the bigger issue is having the home charging situation sorted.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Nothing much to except from the dealer except complete the paper work. You probably known more than the dealer does, if you are following these forums. Try to get the dealer to throw in some free tire rotations, oil changes and maybe a free tank refill. If you encounter a lot of on/off ramps in your commute, see if they can swap the factory air dam for the shorter version. Make sure they filled 91+ octane top tier gas in the tank.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Honestly picking up a new Volt is like picking up every other new car. No real difference. Just be sure to take the time to check out the body for any damage in shipping. Also making sure you have a full tank it nice -- you might not need one for a while.

I think the bigger issue is having the home charging situation sorted.
I would ask for an empty tank. I don't trust our Chevy dealers out there to fill it with Premium.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So I called the GM hotline Friday AM that one poster supplied. They confirmed my 2014 would be built week of 10/14.
My New 2014 Volt Released to Shipper, but GM status was behind For some odd reason I checked the web site to see if it showed anything. Well it said built as of Sunday morning and release to shipper. So it seems they are ahead of schedule. So lets see if they built it Wed or Thurs, good days as not Monday or Friday and did quality checks by Friday..not so good if they did it too quickly...then released on Saturday for shipping...hey they made it just in time of my 50th bday that same week!

More importantly. Any last suggestions from experienced purchasers regarding dealer interaction at time of delivery? I have already reminded the sales guy to personally check that the tire kit, charger, cloth storage bag, rear area screen and 2 fobs are all available with the car as well as the manual of course. Is there anything else that I should ensure comes with it or to do? I am asking they not wash it especially if it comes clean and frankly I think the kids they got doing the work might give me premature swirl markings on the paint job. I would rather wash it myself yet have it clean enough so I can inspect it at day of delivery on a nice sunny day.

Unfortunately I have to wait to take delivery until after 10/23 when my final October GM rebate card performs its final billing cycle closure.

I want to thank all of you hear that have shared your experiences to date as I like to learn all I can before I buy and use a product of whatever kind.
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE HOOD...right up in the front center...just in case one of their mechanics forgot to drop it and tried to put the hood closed with his hand...:(

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep already reminded the dealer on the gas but also on the carefullness with prepping especially not denting the hood. Regarding damage I don't think I want them to even bother washing it....im likely to get swirl marks or some scratches by the kids they hire to do it as it seems. Regarding the federal tax credit, I thought I read on a thread a while ago about getting some copy of a particular document that is used to rprove to the irs it was bought or is it just the bill of sale? Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nothing much to except from the dealer except complete the paper work. You probably known more than the dealer does, if you are following these forums. Try to get the dealer to throw in some free tire rotations, oil changes and maybe a free tank refill. If you encounter a lot of on/off ramps in your commute, see if they can swap the factory air dam for the shorter version. Make sure they filled 91+ octane top tier gas in the tank.
2014s are supposed to have 2 years of maintenance(oil changes, tire rotations, etc) included

·
Registered
160 Posts
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE HOOD...right up in the front center...just in case one of their mechanics forgot to drop it and tried to put the hood closed with his hand...:(
Yes - I didn't check the hood close enough and discovered the next day that there was a very small ding in the hood - right on the U ridge that runs along the hood - the embossed part. I called dealer and they had a awesome guy come to my house and do the dent removal at not cost - he was fantastic. He said the hood was all Aluminum and thus a harder metal so it's hard to get the small dings out correctly. But he did and it was perfect. BUT - check out the hood. Also look at the chrome trim around the windows and such to make sure it's not damaged with a dent. Check the air dam - if you want a short one - ask for it. My 2014 had the long air dam and I hated it - I just got it replaced with short dam and it looks dam good now ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes - I didn't check the hood close enough and discovered the next day that there was a very small ding in the hood - right on the U ridge that runs along the hood - the embossed part. I called dealer and they had a awesome guy come to my house and do the dent removal at not cost - he was fantastic. He said the hood was all Aluminum and thus a harder metal so it's hard to get the small dings out correctly. But he did and it was perfect. BUT - check out the hood. Also look at the chrome trim around the windows and such to make sure it's not damaged with a dent. Check the air dam - if you want a short one - ask for it. My 2014 had the long air dam and I hated it - I just got it replaced with short dam and it looks dam good now ;-)
Hood question

Does the hood is made of composite like the Saturn was or is it still made of steel?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hood question

Does the hood is made of composite like the Saturn was or is it still made of steel?
The hood is the only part of the car that is Aluminum as far as I can tell. I thought the same thing - like Saturn, but it's Aluminum! If it were plastic - it would not get a ding and you would not be able to get it out!! I did check with Volt Advisor a while back too and they did verify that the hood and underneath of the hood are all Aluminum - so no rust! Aluminum is actually harder to dent then steal but its also lighter and thinner. Simple test for steal - just take a magnet to the different parts of your car and you will see what is steal or a steal composite.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The hood is the only part of the car that is Aluminum as far as I can tell. I thought the same thing - like Saturn, but it's Aluminum! If it were plastic - it would not get a ding and you would not be able to get it out!! I did check with Volt Advisor a while back too and they did verify that the hood and underneath of the hood are all Aluminum - so no rust! Aluminum is actually harder to dent then steal but its also lighter and thinner. Simple test for steal - just take a magnet to the different parts of your car and you will see what is steal or a steal composite.
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
All the horizontal panels on Saturn's were metal not composite. The side panels and front and rear fascia were plastic. We wanted to go with SMC horizontals but they are REALLY hard to paint in GM's standard paint process. Corvette does it but their paint line is non standard.

·
Registered
56 Posts

We are in the same boat. I ordered my 2014 Ashen Grey Volt on 9-9-13 and had a TPW of 10/7. It was actually produced on 10/4 and has been 4B00 (bayed for shipment) ever since. I am hopeful that it shows up this week!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are in the same boat. I ordered my 2014 Ashen Grey Volt on 9-9-13 and had a TPW of 10/7. It was actually produced on 10/4 and has been 4B00 (bayed for shipment) ever since. I am hopeful that it shows up this week!
So curious, what state is yours shipping too? Mine is coming to NYS. Seems I might one of one other in my area to own one according to the volt maps. And I thought someone mentioned in a thread once that you can actually track the shipment too with the carrier with the VIN or such?
As long as I can take delivery by 10/31, I am good.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you guys finding the detailed status codes for your vehicles?
Well it turns out when you call the advisor and check on your order they can tell you the current code. But I save a figure that someone posted on a forum some weeks ago in another thread. And it had a whole lot of codes to pass thru but surely of interest to GM only. I would be happy if GM just broke out a little more status on the main stream web site like supply chain parts being order, production completed, released to shipper, shipped, etc. They combine a few states and the text under it declares the intent. The advisor line is very helpfull set of folks in terms of finding out status of ones order provided you give them that. I had them give me the vin number today. I will say though their status must be behind because Friday they told me it was being built this week and by Sunday morning, I saw it was released to shipper. I know batch IT jobs run overnight but really can't they make it a little more real time for their advisors.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would ask for an empty tank. I don't trust our Chevy dealers out there to fill it with Premium.
And frankly thats why I started with my questions. I find that so many people are careless anymore. But yes one hopes the dealers are trained and follow through properly. The last vehicle I got..no name....had a dent in the roof above the driver side. Now it was high enough I could not see over but I checked everything out only to find that on my first time waxing. I suspected someone put it in when prepping the car as the roof seemed flexible when I cleaned it and once again I suspect kids were prepping the car...oh ok even for Toyota!

·
877 Posts
At some point you have to realize this is a car purchase. The guy may put the wrong gas in the car, the kids might cause a swirl, etc. Whats happens when you have to valet? Or the porter at the dealership takes it around the corner at 30mph right in front of you? The mechanic who has dirt on his shoes and mars the carpet. Enjoy the car a little bit all this worrying and then what?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I know it is just a car. But if any of those things happen I WANT to be the one who wrecks it or mis handles it not before I even get it for a day!
Car has been shipped as of today to the dealer! This is happening much quicker than I expected...so far so good GM. Don't disappoint me on the quality as the last cars I ordered over the years each had an issue with mechanical and more so bad paint run jobs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts