GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood is dented in six spots from my friend attempting to gently close my hood. Anybody heard of this. I couldn't figure out how the dents happened and then I lightly pressed on the hood and created another dent ..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I lower the hood to about 8" above the closed position and let it go. No dents or other problems.

KNS

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
A paintless dent removal service should be able to repair it at about $75/dent. It should look good as new when done.

Why are you pressing down? Lower it to about 8" and let it drop.

From your Owners Manual:

To close the hood:
1. Before closing the hood, check that all filler caps are properly installed. Then, lift the hood to relieve pressure on the
hood prop.
2. Remove the hood prop from the slotted retainer in the hood and return it to its retainer above the radiator support. The prop rod must lock into place when returning it to the retainer to prevent hood damage.
3. Lower the hood 20 cm (8 in) above the vehicle and release it so it fully latches. Check to make sure the hood is firmly closed. Repeat the process if necessary.

Notice it does NOT say "Press down".

I strongly recommend reading the owners manual before you damage the car in other expensive ways.

·
Registered
178 Posts
YUP! My wife's Bosses were checking out our New Volt and closed the hood gently then pushed down hard on it with their hand and "THOINK"... instant dent! I shake my head every time I see it! Picture coming.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many people open and close hoods all day long from gas stations. Etc.. Rarely do people read the owners manual prior to closing and opening a cars hood. If this is so delicate that my friend trying to be kind to my car by pressing gently to close it and it dents than this should be stated when you buy the vehicle that the hoods are particularly soft and should be closed in this fashion to avoid dents and therefore you can tell service attendants and/or friends who are not familiar with your car how they can best protect it. I think this is a weak spot on our volts and I hope this PSA will help others from damaging their car like mine

·
Registered
178 Posts
A paintless dent removal service should be able to repair it at about $75/dent. It should look good as new when done.

Why are you pressing down? Lower it to about 8" and let it drop.

From your Owners Manual:

To close the hood:
1. Before closing the hood, check that all filler caps are properly installed. Then, lift the hood to relieve pressure on the
hood prop.
2. Remove the hood prop from the slotted retainer in the hood and return it to its retainer above the radiator support. The prop rod must lock into place when returning it to the retainer to prevent hood damage.
3. Lower the hood 20 cm (8 in) above the vehicle and release it so it fully latches. Check to make sure the hood is firmly closed. Repeat the process if necessary.

Notice it does NOT say "Press down".

I strongly recommend reading the owners manual before you damage the car in other expensive ways.
I would agree with you.. But this damage was not done to my car by me. I have seen people push a partially latched door closed with their Butt... even with metal button on their pockets! We just can't fix "STUPID!" I don't think they had intentions of damaging a car... "thoughtless" may be a better word.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My hood is dented in six spots from my friend attempting to gently close my hood. Anybody heard of this. I couldn't figure out how the dents happened and then I lightly pressed on the hood and created another dent ..
The exact thing happened to me. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THEM YOURSELF, like I did. I tried "Fix-a-dent" and hot air (hair dryer) and ice trick. This only worsened them. Located a top-notch paintless dent remover, and he completely removed them in 1 hour. Cost $100.

Our hoods are made from very thin aluminum. Close as others have mentioned, drop from 8" height.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I lower the hood to about 8" above the closed position and let it go. No dents or other problems.

KNS
That's how I was taught to close the hood on my Vette's going back to 1972. He must have been ham fisted.

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Rarely do people read the owners manual prior to closing and opening a cars hood.
Yes, and that's the problem. Few read their owner's manual, then get upset when bad things happen. We see posts here on a regular basis from people who did not read their owner's manual. Just because they didn't does not absolve them of the responsibility to do so.

Whether it involves how the dash controls work, how to have the car towed, how to jump a dead battery, or how to close the hood, it's all covered in the manual. People often post here about a problem that could have been avoided had they read the instruction manual. Whether you are taking prescription pills, painting a wall, or operating a car it's wise to read the instructions first. Sure, many don't and pay the price for ignorance.

I too dented a car hood once by pushing down. It was a 1990 Volvo. Things haven't changed much in the past 23 years. However I did not blame the car, it was my fault.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Many people open and close hoods all day long from gas stations. Etc.. Rarely do people read the owners manual prior to closing and opening a cars hood. If this is so delicate that my friend trying to be kind to my car by pressing gently to close it and it dents than this should be stated when you buy the vehicle that the hoods are particularly soft and should be closed in this fashion to avoid dents and therefore you can tell service attendants and/or friends who are not familiar with your car how they can best protect it. I think this is a weak spot on our volts and I hope this PSA will help others from damaging their car like mine
1. Plenty of cars have composite or aluminium hoods that shouldn't be pressed on. The Volt is not special.

2. For the last 40 years the only way I've known to close a hood was to drop it so it slams latched. This isn't anything new.

3. RTFM

·
Registered
309 Posts
Funny timing that this thread came up. Yesterday I dropped something in my garage and bent over to pick it up and placed my hand on the hood for balance. The thing folded in like a cheap suit. Surprised me really. It did bounce back with no dent but now I know it's not like a typical strong hood I've had on past cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has a right to their opinion. I have been taught over the years by mechanics and car enthusiasts not to just let go of the hood and to push gently to close it. My Porsche was a prime example of a car that you do not let go of the hood. Needless to say even if I read the owners manual cover to cover. I more than likely would not have picked up on this detail

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My main reason for this post is not to get judged but to provide info for others so that they will not make the same mistake as me..

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think this is nonsense. I just did my own tests with my Volt..popping the hood and shoving it down with the hands 12 times. Guess what? No dents and the hood latch held each time. OP must be using a hammer to close his hood.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
My main reason for this post is not to get judged but to provide info for others so that they will not make the same mistake as me..
Don't take it personally. People like to tell you you're doing it wrong. I agree with you, a hood should be sturdy enough to be pushed closed gently by hand, even if the owners manual does say something different. Most gas station mechanics haven't read the owners manuals and a hood should be made to withstand at least them.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with you, a hood should be sturdy enough to be pushed closed gently by hand, even if the owners manual does say something different. Most gas station mechanics haven't read the owners manuals and a hood should be made to withstand at least them.
I agree too.. it should be sturdy enough. .remember how you could take a picture of a nice girl on the hood? maybe you would leave her "imprint" on the hood.

Good info on this thread. .guess its wise to be wary!

ps. @ Deekster...nice MG TF.. I love those! (had a couple of MGA 's)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, me too. The day I bought the car. Got it home, long before I'd had the time to read the manual, I popped the hood just to take a look underneath (opening itself took some figuring out). Tried to drop it shut from a few inches up and it didn't latch, so I pushed gently and boink, a dent. Broke my heart! Fortunately, I was able to find an access point to get in and underneath and was able to pop it back out. Beware, very fragile!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts