GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The year has gone so quick and it's still like 'new' & Very happy to be a daily plugged in EV owner.
Only just gave it good polish as the hand wash wax was doing it's job all year.

I have really enjoyed the linear smooth driving experience the Volt Provides.:cool:
Luckily it suits my needs perfectly and it's a great match.

My Volt lives a little pampered life at the moment, because I take my vintage ICE car out on days it might hail badly or visit extremely steep driveways. Believe me you get used to "better" with the Volt EV experience!

6,500km in 11months before putting a little fuel in the tank, the brake discs still have their machining marks on them (Lucky GM made the disc material more corrosion resistant :) ) and are still silvery.

Manoeuvrability, Steering & handling / braking transition are all excellent on mine!

One pedal driving possible in 'L' AAAA+ in this area (love it)

Plenty of performance, ability to speed up & slow down in traffic like no other ICE powered car can do.

Drivers seat is a match for me!

Rear camera with grid lines is excellent (reverse park against a wall every day and with this feature it's like a holiday)

Leather - I've moisturised it twice and I'm surprisingly happy with it including the steering wheel.

Climate control - ok for most of the season here. (Sorry not a fan of climate control in any car but must admit ability to control heating properly is not it's strong point)

Reliability never let me down on the road, only had odd charging issue with my combination of L2 charger and this was fixed a couple of months back with the powertrain software update.

As a Volt owner, I really would like to see more Volts on Australian roads !

The minor things GM should review for an improved Volt experience in my view are:
Greater front ground bumper clearance on steep angled driveways. (Move wheels forward or increase height)
Properly ventilate or seal both the rear tail lights & reflectors assemblies against water condensation.
Here is a pick of light pressure wash from a distance:

De-option the so called collision avoidance warning only system and replace it with a useful adaptive cruise control instead.
Sticker or markings required for correct battery coolant level and easier to use plastic scrivets for front engine bay facia.
Add another additional lower radiator protector - there is one factory unit there but needs additional to protect the fins not just the tubing.

Lastly like all recent modern cars from all the brands the A pillar blind spots, twice I've nearly had the perfect storm while turning a corner and 'just' glimpsing either end of a small hatch hiding behind it.
I think the manufacture who figures out how to use extra high tensile steels to reduce their width and maintain roof / safety should get a noble prize.

Is the current Volt a great car? I'd say a BIG Yes and at least in Australia it's the best EV.

Out of all the OEM GM cars in Australia we only have 2 in GM's fleet that are front runners currently:
The imported EREV Volt (selling too slowly) and the locally made Commodore while it's still RWD and made locally for the moment.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Sounds like your enjoying your Volt as much as the rest of us. I feel your frustration regarding total sales of the Volt regardless of location. GM has several untapped markets and they seem overly cautious. Makes no sense.

In any event it's great hearing from far flung Volt owners and how well they like their Volt's and how well the Volt operates even upside down ha ha.

Cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on your Anniversary..

Nice colour.. just as an aside, given the time you bought it, did you buy it from a Sutherland Dealer in Sydney? I test drove the Black one there, and the Salesman said he had sold one a little earlier than my test drive which was mid December.

Agree about the A Pillar. .had mine since June, and had it happen twice too..

Yours is lovely and Clean.. looks out at mine....

ps.. What did you use to moisturize the leather?

·
Registered
170 Posts
"Reliability never let me down on the road, only had odd charging issue with my combination of L2 charger and this was fixed a couple of months back with the powertrain software update."

Hi again! I have a friend who is having problems in Australia with clipper Creek , charging the Volt.. which brand is your L2 EVSE, and can you share what your charging hiccups were prior to the software update?

Many thanks , Marty

ps.. if you are down the snow, come and enjoy a free charge!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like your enjoying your Volt as much as the rest of us. I feel your frustration regarding total sales of the Volt regardless of location. GM has several untapped markets and they seem overly cautious. Makes no sense.

In any event it's great hearing from far flung Volt owners and how well they like their Volt's and how well the Volt operates even upside down ha ha.

Cheers
Second the cheers -Not only is it defying gravity driving upside down, its doing it with the steering wheel on the RHS while travelling in the left lane..
Seems to have adapted well.:)
Yes I really thought sales would be massive the world over, but the average Joe and Barbie still don't either understand it - as to how a Volt could change their automobile lifestyle while keeping the energy source local or driving on sunshine with an on grid PV house system.
Ta Martin

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congrats on your Anniversary..

Nice colour.. just as an aside, given the time you bought it, did you buy it from a Sutherland Dealer in Sydney? I test drove the Black one there, and the Salesman said he had sold one a little earlier than my test drive which was mid December.

Agree about the A Pillar. .had mine since June, and had it happen twice too..

Yours is lovely and Clean.. looks out at mine....

ps.. What did you use to moisturize the leather?
No mines Melbourne, Victoria, First delivery for Dealer GWS oakleigh, pre ordered in when I placed my deposit.
I use all the top shelf Meguiars products from the Ultimate wash to the leather cleaner mosturiser.
It's also the way you must look after it.
Always hand wash only. I have a regulated highpressure washer to initial get as much dirt grit off the car but the pressure is turned down so their I no chance of peeling paint off! Clean microfibre mitt with a bucket mixed with Meg's ultimate roof first, clean mitt next black top of door inserts & plastic tail lights, then work around and around top to down wheels second last lowest bottom black trim. Really think about how not to massage the grit on the car. Then I use a clean laundered towel to wipe the Whole car down. Being in Melbourne we have brilliant tap water -I still towel it down so no water spots - this maximises the time between polishes.
Mine is garaged overnight so makes the 12 month mark.

The neighbours must think I'm nuts but guess who has a shiny new looking car 12 years later while theirs is looking like sandpaper with stains on it.

The non Meg's products I use for rubber /plastic on the outside is AutoGlym, removing tar spots ot sticker goo -Eucalyptus oil or tar bug remover. If you get polish on grey trim Car plan back to black

Oh and touch up paint kit - scratch wizz from the USA Bl##dy fantastic!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Reliability never let me down on the road, only had odd charging issue with my combination of L2 charger and this was fixed a couple of months back with the powertrain software update."

Hi again! I have a friend who is having problems in Australia with clipper Creek , charging the Volt.. which brand is your L2 EVSE, and can you share what your charging hiccups were prior to the software update?

Many thanks , Marty

ps.. if you are down the snow, come and enjoy a free charge!
Hi Marty see link http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?72354-Australian-Volt-Software-updated-K57-Charger-control-module-updated.

It was causing the check engine light to be tripped occasionally on delayed charge.
Even though it is an SPX the error was in too stringent requirements in the cars power train software after all.
In our area overnight they can load /switch over / shift grid circuits and this was upsetting the monotoring power train software.

Cheers Martin

·
Registered
170 Posts
ok, thanks Martin !

I found the thread you linked to an interesting one ! Glad you got yours all fixed, and seem to have a nice relationship with your dealer too! Cheers, Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts