GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one end of the spectrum is my 2017 Volt that I purchased in May. My Volt has been awesome so far. I replaced a BMW 335 diesel, and don't miss the harsh ride and high maintenance costs a bit.

At the other end of the spectrum is my Superformance Cobra. I probably drive it couple of times a month, and on a good day it gets 13 mpg on the freeway. Lots of fun, and there's a great group of Cobra owners where I live.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
No, opposite ends would be my volt compared to my 3/4 ton suburban with a 454 cubic inch engine that gets 9-12 mpg on a good day.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Very nice cars, nice to have a mix, and something about driving a "raw" car like the AC Cobra is very enjoyable every so often. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think a lot of cars are at the other end of the spectrum. Not everybody is buying these solely on environmental cred... some of us just figured we could swing an entire car payment on the gasoline saved.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You want to talk about opposite ends? In my fleet there's the Volt...35-40 miles of EV range. Enough for my daily commute to work, but with a gas generator for an occasional longer journey. Seats 2 comfortably, 4 in a pinch. Two (2) Mitsubishi i-miev's 70-80 miles all-electric for local errands only! Seats 4. Great interior room for such a tiny car. Better ingress/egress than my Volt. Back seats fold flat to make the i-miev a teenie-tiny mini van for hauling stuff. 2001 Buick LeSabre 23 mpg...Big car, seats up to 6. 1997 Chrysler Town and Country mini-van....16 mpg used for hauling and light towing. Seats 7 when needs are to carry a lot of folks. Then there's the 2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 LE Vacation Machine gets 6-7 MPG when towing one of the i-miev's behind Sleeps up to 8.

I save enough on Gas for my family's daily activities to be able to feed the voracious appetite of my RV on the 2-3 occasions a year that we travel.

I'd love to have the '17 Volt or the New Bolt EV coming soon or even a Tesla, but I can't justify it! I already have a vehicle for every need or purpose. Every base is covered, and the amount of money spent on my fleet is still less than 1 new Model S 90!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm with Doug!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
At one end of the spectrum is my 2017 Volt that I purchased in May. My Volt has been awesome so far. I replaced a BMW 335 diesel, and don't miss the harsh ride and high maintenance costs a bit.

At the other end of the spectrum is my Superformance Cobra. I probably drive it couple of times a month, and on a good day it gets 13 mpg on the freeway. Lots of fun, and there's a great group of Cobra owners where I live.

I am impressed. You live in California and you can put two vehicles in your garage. Since we remodelled our kitchen and put the old cabinets in the garage, I only put one vehicle - Volt- in the garage. It would be a tight squeeze to also put the LEAF in the garage, so it parks on the side of the garage. My spectrum of vehicles is 2011LEAF-2016Volt-1997Ford Ranger.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I must say I'm a little envious. I too prefer a diverse garage because vehicles offer a range of purposes for me. I currently have an 01 VW Golf TDI, my wife's 07 Lexus Rx400h, and an 04 Honda S2000. The TDI is my car of choice for distances greater than 20 miles, my wife can only drive the Lexus and I use her car for hauling stuff and short trips (she can't drive a manual), and the S2000 is just for fun. All cars were purchased used with about 80K miles on them for 40% of their original sale price.

A new Volt will replace either my TDI or the Lexus when either one goes kaput, but both have been extremely reliable and inexpensive to maintain. I would imagine your Cobra's MPG isn't an issue for you when you have a Volt that thrives on short distance fuel economy, yet is no slouch as a long distance car either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, opposite ends would be my volt compared to my 3/4 ton suburban with a 454 cubic inch engine that gets 9-12 mpg on a good day.
I think you win so far, since I don't drive my Cobra enough to compete with your Suburban's mpg. Both are gallons per mile.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with Doug!

Nice Scarlett! Are you on Club Cobra? There's nothing like the Cobra...beautiful lines, raw, and you can work on it if you want to.

·
Registered
962 Posts
No, I was on FFCars a lot until VoltShelf happened. Now I don't have time for anything else. And I have to work to find time to drive the Cobra. Nothing like the smell of unburned hydrocarbons, and the exhaust right in your ear. A nice side benefit of the Volt is that it leaves a lot more $ in the gas budget for the Cobra.

Kwong- Let me know when you are done playing with your S2000. This is a tremendous car and a classic to be. I actually had a the deal cut on a 03 GPW when a friend convinced me to go for the cobra instead. No regrets, but I still want an S in the worst way. Something about seeing the 9k redline. And how it gets there when the cam rolls over halfway up the rev range. That's fun, and a great package to do it in!

Steve

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think a lot of cars are at the other end of the spectrum. Not everybody is buying these solely on environmental cred... some of us just figured we could swing an entire car payment on the gasoline saved.
Yup... That'd be me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My garage is somewhat consistent with an SLK55 AMG and a Z4 MSport. My C-Max Energi is odd man out, with it's space in the driveway. That's what happens when you have a non-retractable hardtop.

Pardon the mess in the garage - it's been cleaned up a bit since the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My garage is somewhat consistent with an SLK55 AMG and a Z4 MSport. My C-Max Energi is odd man out, with it's space in the driveway. That's what happens when you have a non-retractable hardtop.

Pardon the mess in the garage - it's been cleaned up a bit since the photo.
Love the SLK55. That's a luxury "E" ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts