GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad day today for me, was driving my G2 home from Florida when it died on the turnpike. No power, just said reduced power shift to park.

Called Onstar, they couldn't diagnose or talk to the car. After an hour of them reading the standard scripts I said STOP TALKING, call a tow truck.

Took them 4 hours to get a tow truck, while we were sitting in 100F temperatures (I was sitting a couple of miles from West Palm Beach). They towed me to the dealer supplied by Onstar.....except it was wrong dealer, it was GMC. Another hour to take us to the right Chevy dealer. Then I had to pay tow direct as they would not take the order from OnStar. Think GMs credit not good enough.

Onstar arrange for 1 nights hotel and said if repair takes longer then we are on our own.

Local dealer is great, got us a loaner and will look at Car Saturday. But unless it's simple repair it will take longer. Onstar service was really bad, totally clueless

Anyone know if I push GM will they ship my car home if it takes a long time to repair?

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow, that is terrible! Please keep us updated. Not impressed with OnStar hearing your story. Congrats on lasting through an hour of that. Also surprised to hear you had to pay for the tow. I would definitely be reaching out to my local dealer about this to see if they could help the situation. Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Oh man... that sucks...sorry to hear about your trouble, keep us updated what caused this fiesco.

Somewhat off topic in relations to the OP's problem....
Yeah ...ONSTAR can be a joke sometimes...When I bought my silverado , the dealer insisted that I immediately push the blue button connect to onstar and go though setting up... as I was leaving the dealership. ONstart tried to make me buy into a phone minute plan (no thank you) as well as walked me through setting up 6? months of free WIFI via satellite- turns out my truck does not even have that feature.
HOwever my monthly diagnostic email always mentions that my WIFI plans is about to expire "please renew".
Lets hope I never need to use onstar - and I never crash.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That's one of the nastier break downs. Not fun at all. Keep us posted on what the problem was.

·
Banned
15 Posts
And this is why the upcoming Toyota Prius Prime will sell well. Even though the EV range is much smaller than with the Volt, the confidence in Toyota reliability will compensate for many.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
And this is why the upcoming Toyota Prius Prime will sell well. Even though the EV range is much smaller than with the Volt, the confidence in Toyota reliability will compensate for many.
Gimmie a break. Toyos have just as many issues on a new models as anyone else. Always a few things to iron out and that goes for every single car manufacturer in existence. How about something constructive?
Know anything about this "shift to Park" message? ;)

WOT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Know anything about this "shift to Park" message? ;)

WOT
Your focus might be appropriate to the problem.

Consider what would happen if the "sensor" that picks up shift lever park position failed to detect the lever position.
The car would be left thinking it's not in park and fail to start.

That's a common failure that happened back even into the 60's on automatics which was easy to get a temporary fix on the spot with a jumper wire at the relay....been there done it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep i totally agree and the fact that Toyota had been ADVERTISING its car. Im tired of hearing "oh, a volt, they still make'em?"

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Administrator
20,888 Posts
I can say that my 2011 has been rock solid. An engine oil hose replaced at 32k miles, a faulty main battery component replaced at 72k miles. I doubt I am just lucky. I think part of it was the car was simply very well designed and very well built. Tesla owners seem to spend a lot more time in the shop than I have. Toyota cars have problems too, but with a big side dish of ugly as well. My range of acceptable styling is pretty wide, but Toyota seems to be going out of their way to make the Prius ugly.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a call from dealer this morning (Schumacher west Palm Beach), these guys got right on the car today. They report that the 12 V battery is dead (I did remember unit going into low power mode, but after 3 hours sitting in 100F temeratures on the turnpike I was entering low power mode too).

Also said that the 300V system had some problem and they need to do more diagnoses and talk to GM tech support. Suspect that he means the inverter ( a failure of which would kill the 12 V battery), hope it's not the main battery system. Will know more by Monday

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
if this is the case,,then why is it my friend thats a Toyota mechanic make on the average,,$120k a year?toyo does a great job at PR when things go wrong and the customer almost always gets taken care of.seen complete customer induced faults that toyo picked up the tab as good faith,,I know GM would have told them to FO.
btw,he drives a gmc denali diesel,so he's a chevy guy at heart.wants me to work w/ him at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I can say that my 2011 has been rock solid. An engine oil hose replaced at 32k miles, a faulty main battery component replaced at 72k miles. I doubt I am just lucky. I think part of it was the car was simply very well designed and very well built. Tesla owners seem to spend a lot more time in the shop than I have. Toyota cars have problems too, but with a big side dish of ugly as well. My range of acceptable styling is pretty wide, but Toyota seems to be going out of their way to make the Prius ugly.
I also was a brainwashed Toyota zombie until my new Corolla left us stranded 3 times in addition to the disappointing ride , mpg and lack of power .

Now , I realize most cars are very reliable and it's hard to go wrong with ANY brand these days .

What if the Toyota Prius Prime actually proves to be more reliable ? Is the douche and diminished capacity factor really worth the $100 you save ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW my loner car is a brand new Cruz, 2000 miles on it. Makes lots of noise when I push down on the gas but that's about it, gutless. Does not drive anywhere near the G2 Volt.

Have to remember to check gas gauge once in a while.........

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
BTW my loner car is a brand new Cruz, 2000 miles on it. Makes lots of noise when I push down on the gas but that's about it, gutless. Does not drive anywhere near the G2 Volt.

Have to remember to check gas gauge once in a while.........
That's exactly what my son said when we test drove at the dealer .

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Gimmie a break. Toyos have just as many issues on a new models as anyone else.
I'd be more inclined to believe that if Consumer Reports reliability surveys agreed - but they don't. Those surveys are the largest unbiased source of frequency of repair information that's available to any of us.

IMHO it's no small deal that the Volt earned the "highest customer satisfaction" position based on those surveys, but it still has a greater record of repair incidents than most of Toyota's models.

Now I don't think that the difference in reliability is as great as it once was, and I have a Chrysler van that's over 2 decades old which supports that belief. And I'm sure that there are individual horror stores on both sides. But I'm also pretty convinced that there is a difference.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I'd be more inclined to believe that if Consumer Reports reliability surveys agreed - but they don't. Those surveys are the largest unbiased source of frequency of repair information that's available to any of us.
Do you really believe that? Well OK but just be warned CR actually has a well-documented reputation for quite the opposite.
JD Power initial quality studies beg to differ...
But any case, lets keep this thread on track please.
WOT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interestingly my lease was running out on my Ford Fusion Energi so we decided to get a Volt. Last week the car locked itself and we couldn't get in. We were about to call a tow truck when I was able to remotely start the car. We drove it to the dealer, but after that it was working. He checked the 12v and said it was okay. Today, no power again and it was towed back to Ford. We pick up our Volt Monday and there will be some interesting conversations when I turn the Fusion in right after that.

ChuckJ

1 - 20 of 77 Posts