GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2015 Volt since September 2015 - only have 2000 miles on her so far (I don't drive much). About 3 weeks ago, the subtle little MIL popped on, and stayed on, so I tightened the gas cap (heh, just hoping), with no luck - so after a few days, I started surfing the forums here to see what it could be.

First, I learned here that you could push the OnStar button to get the failure codes, and

Second, I found tboult's post of the massive .pdf of MIL failure codes (Forever Grateful!).

So, I got the codes from the nice lady at OnStar (didn't have to spend the money on the OBD II gizmo), and learned what they meant:

P1E00: Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Requested MIL Illumination (which is probably a "global" condition triggered by a fault in a specific sub-system).

P1EDD: Battery Charger Converter Input Voltage Sensor "B" Circuit High (BLKS2). (This reports that the battery charger [in my case, 120V] detected a voltage surge inside the battery charger input.)

After reading about similar problems posted by other forum members (faulty plugs, sockets, etc) which didn't apply to my situation, I thought it out a bit, and came up with a solution that worked (some dumb luck MAY have been involved).

My garage door opener is also plugged into the same outlet as the Volt EVSE; I inserted a (cheap) surge suppressor to protect the garage door opener electronics from lightning, line surges, etc.

And everything worked fine all through the winter, so I was kind of scratching my head until I thought that the garage door opener was getting kind of noisy, struggling a bit to open the old door (in need of lubrication) - was it possible that the door opener was causing the voltage spike that the "cheap" surge suppressor couldn't handle?

So I bought an inexpensive 6-outlet power strip with 1000 joules of surge suppression at Lowe's (12 bucks), and plugged the Volt EVSE into it...

The next morning, after a full charge I had to drive into town for a doctor appointment, and I was a little peeved that the MIL was lit for my drive -- but after the appointment, imagine my grin when I powered up the Volt, and the light was OFF!

It's been almost 2 weeks, and the MIL has stayed dark, so that was a lucky (cheap, simple) fix, all thanks to the members here - I hope that my idea may help someone who may have a similar situation.

Now I have to think about greasing that garage door :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Just guessing, but my thought would be that the garage door isn't really connected to the MIL issue and you're ascribing causation to chance correlation. Are you really opening and closing the garage door when the Volt is charging? If it is the garage door the MIL should be easy to reproduce.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sounds like you're chasing symptoms with the surge protector instead of actual causes. This is the first I've heard of a garage door opener causing problems and we all have garage door openers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts