GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Jiffy Lube is much easier. Or Kwik Kar. Or a Chevy shop. What ya gonna do with the old oil and filter?
The Autozone store just down the block from me recycles :)

The filter should be crushed to extract the oil and the can recycled. Throwing hazmat in the trash is part of the problem not the solution.
Precisely !!

Agreed. The 10mm plug is just fine; the problem was the dealer. The guys that changed the oil were scared that the plug will fall out so they over-tightened them to the point of stripping the threads. I don't remember the torque rating right off hand, but it's not much, something like 18 flt-lbs.

I've been changing my oil for 40 years and never had a problem when I was the one changing the oil. But my son brought his wife's car over because he couldn't get the drain plug off. The oil change shop had tightened it so much they partially stripped the threads and rounded off the head (which was took a 9/16" wrench). It took me quite a while with ViseGrips and other tools until I finally got it off. I had to buy an over sized self-tapping plug to fix the problem. He never went back to that shop again.
"14 Nm" is cast into the sump. I thought that was a nice touch! See picture 1.
14 Nm = 123 in lbs = 10+ ft.lbs.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy in the world who actually uses a torque wrench :p

Not just this car though, I had a Daewoo that had a 14mm Allen key plug. In spite of my cautions to the service department, it made it through exactly ONE dealer oil change before that had to be reamed out, re-threaded, and a "standard" bolt put in place. <sigh>.

Y'all can laugh at me but I have a good quality torque wrench that is engraved with my name. When I leave the car for service I put the wrench on the driver's seat pre-set to the right torque with the correct socket attached, and a BIG note that says "USE THIS WRENCH FOR THE OIL CHANGE". Astoundingly..... that has worked well so far.

(yeah it's a little silly, but over-torqued oil pans and tire lugs are a pet peeve of mine)
I agree, a good SET of torque wrenches are worth their weight in GOLD :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Our local waste transfer station takes used oil and filters for free and disposes of/recycles it all properly.

I agree, throwing a used oil filter in the trash is a bad decision - that oil filter with all it's toxic contaminants (and a few hundred ML of oil still in it at that) can poison groundwater and introduce all sorts of nasties into the environment.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
HF is a great place to buy non-precision tools that will be used once. A torque wrench does not fall into that category. Their torque wrenches are total junk.
Had mine for 15 years. Does what it needs to do and still works.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
But is it accurate?

Torque is one of those things where accuracy of the instrument applying it matters a lot.
Crap, now I have to worry if my new torque wrench is accurate? Do I have to buy another torque wrench and test it? Seriously, how do you know if your wrench is accurate?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,482 Posts
Had mine for 15 years. Does what it needs to do and still works.
This review may hold the answer:
I owned my first 1/2" drive Harbor Freight torque wrench for 6 years, and used it moderately (about twice a month). I never had it calibrated, but it seemed accurate and consistent from one job to the next. Eventually, the internals gave out. Having had a good experience for the price the first time around, I purchased my second one a few months ago. While torqueing a nut to 140 ft-lb, the wrench suddenly LET GO COMPLETELY. I was lucky to only bruise, and not break my hand when I whacked the concrete driveway. I had also bought a 3/8" drive wrench, which was faulty out of the box (would not click). This kind of questionable quality was enough to turn me off from these wrenches, especially given the precision tolerances that any torque wrench must operate within to be effective. I returned both, and invested $80 in a good-quality, name-brand wrench with a 50-250 ft-lb torque range.
For $19.99, it's hard to expect a precision instrument.

In fact, your wrench might have even been made in the US back then

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got my torque wrench today. Finished the oil change. Ran the engine, no oil came out - yeah!! It was strange torquing the oil drain plug to 123 in-lbs (I think that's what it was, too lazy to check) because I didn't tighten it near as hard has I would have without it. I usually turn the wrench pretty hard. But I stopped when it clicked nowhere near as far as I would have gone. I'll be checking it for a while I think, to make sure its not loose.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Got my torque wrench today. Finished the oil change. Ran the engine, no oil came out - yeah!! It was strange torquing the oil drain plug to 123 in-lbs (I think that's what it was, too lazy to check) because I didn't tighten it near as hard has I would have without it. I usually turn the wrench pretty hard. But I stopped when it clicked nowhere near as far as I would have gone. I'll be checking it for a while I think, to make sure its not loose.
That is pretty much the point. People think stuff has to be cranked down until it "feels right" and usually that is WAY too tight.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts