GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So RedBull/TonLoc here. I really love my volt - with over 190 MPG/Lifetime who does not love that? BUT .... I have an issue now that I'm not too happy about. So I have been notincing some discomfort with my seat and when I looked more closely - I see that the heated seat has a hard wiring harness/connector of some sort right at the base of the seat where you are sitting. In the 2014 MY Volt you can feel this with your finger on the Driver Side and a little on the Passenger Side. The Passenger side is not as noticeable since it's apparently covered up some by the Airbag sensor pad in the seat. So I also notice that over time this will wear more and will start to show more. It bothers me enough when driving that I finally went to the dealer and had them look at it ....

Dealer said - "that looks wrong" and noticed it right away. They said none of their other heated seats are like that at all - so they decided to look at other volts on the lot - each had the same hard wire at the base of the seat where you sit - some even more pronounced than mine. So they contacted GM and Engineering - GM looked at their Volts and said yep - ours are like that too - sorry! So....

I called my Advisor - she said well there is nothing GM can do - it's just the way it is. I said so the cheep wiring job is what GM is happy with in my $40K car? All she could say was there is nothing we can do. The dealer did offer to pull the seat apart at their expense and add some padding or tape to make it go away but the Advisor said - if you modify it - then the warranty is voided. She said I could go buy a cushion - really? I have had 3 Hondas with Heated seats and they were perfect and comfortable - no wires poking through the seat cushion. My current 2006 Honda Odyssey with leather heated seats are perfect. So...

Please let me know if others have had this issue - or are just now noticing this in your Volt? With 2014 or earlier models? Is this bothering you? I thought since my car is the Beige interior Leather with Fake Suede that might be my issue - but the black leather Volt on the dealer lot was actually more pronounced. Eventually I image this will wear through the seat and start leaving a mark, not to mention the uncomfortable poking of the wire in my rear.

Ok - so my rant is done - I think this could easily be fixed in current cars and future cars but GM needs to step up and take some interest in looking at this - but for now - they simply said can't help!!

Thoughts?

I'm still a very happy Volt owner but this does bother me - maybe I'm too sensitive ;-) ..

Text Beige

5,595 Posts
Interesting. I've never seen this on my 2013 with black leather seats, but I'll take a closer look and report back.

· Registered
525 Posts
No problem on my '13 heated seats. Is there a way for you to check out a used '13 to compare? Something has changed in GM's manufacturing process or its seat supplier. Somebody at GM is playing dumb or not being honest, what a shock.

· Registered
105 Posts
2013 with Pebble Beige cloth heated seats and no problems with seat discomfort. But yeah, I agree you have a legitimate concern and it should be addressed with something more convincing than "It's just the way it is".

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, keep them coming so I can use these as reference with my next call to GM. I don't want to be a complainer but I want to influence change if needed. I love the Volt!

· Registered
3,479 Posts
2013 heated leather, 11,500 mile and no bump where I sit. Exactly where on the seat is this, your description: "at the base of the seat where you are sitting" is pretty meaningless for me.... I will check if you can provide better mapping.. never mind the map, I can download your picture today, I will add my vote later on.

follow up - I looked at my seat: if I poke around I can tell that there is a wire under this area, but I cant feel it when sitting on the seat.

8,616 Posts
Using your picture for reference and pushing hard with my knuckles while sliding around, I can feel a slight lump somewhere near there. There's nothing visible on the seat, and I've never felt it - and I didn't feel anything until I pushed into the seat hard. 2012 with Leather.

· Administrator
23,440 Posts
I notice nothing on my 2011 with leather seats

· Registered
326 Posts
I have never noticed this on my 2012 with leather.

Many aftermarket seat heater kits have a small module (a thermostat I believe) where the wire connects to the carbon filament. The instructions for these kits recommend that the installer cut a small depression or pocket into the seat cushion to allow the thermostat to nest into the foam. Perhaps the dealer could do something similar and then add the padding or tape as they suggested.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like the issue is with the 2014 MY, I would like to hear from others with a 2014 what your thoughts are?

· Registered
6,863 Posts
I have a 2012 with 20K miles and a 2013 with 6K miles I'll be looking at my seats this evening when I get home. But having just cleaned and conditioned both cars seats this past weekend and was very careful as I usually am, I didn't notice this anomaly.

But I will look again. The only difference between my leather seats are color tan vs black and the 2012 has perferations but the 2013 seems to have better leather, it feels much more robust. But I love the seats in either Volt.

· Registered
34 Posts
On my 2014 I can feel the lump on both front seats if I press down with my hand on the base of the seats, altought when sitting in the seats on don't feel the lump. Maybe that has to do with the angle of my seatback, which I keep fairly upright. If the seat is angled back more maybe you are sitting further back in the seat right where the lump is.

· Registered
326 Posts
I have never noticed this on my 2012 with leather.

Many aftermarket seat heater kits have a small module (a thermostat I believe) where the wire connects to the carbon filament. The instructions for these kits recommend that the installer cut a small depression or pocket into the seat cushion to allow the thermostat to nest into the foam. Perhaps the dealer could do something similar and then add the padding or tape as they suggested.
I checked my seats this evening. While I don't notice any variation in wear of the leather, I can feel the wiring on the back of the seat base in the location that you show in your photo if i push down with my hands. I don't feel it while sitting on the seat. (2012 w/leather)

· Registered
525 Posts
It looks like the issue is with the 2014 MY, I would like to hear from others with a 2014 what your thoughts are?

Have you considered the possibility that these seat heaters are in fact, after market installs? A few times in the past I have seen dealers do this with other accessories and pretend that they are factory. In my town I have seen a couple of companies advertise that they install after market seat heaters. Just a thought.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are certainly factory. It's good to hear that none are having the issue too much. I will call GM again, as I think mine are more pronounced then others.

Have you considered the possibility that these seat heaters are in fact, after market installs? A few times in the past I have seen dealers do this with other accessories and pretend that they are factory. In my town I have seen a couple of companies advertise that they install after market seat heaters. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.