GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After over 19,000 miles without ever seeing an error.. Today my Volt's CEL came on. There were no messages displayed. I called OnStar and they told me I had Error P0111 and P0113. They said this was something to do with the air intake and it was not critical. It would probably clear it's self...

Funny thing... My engine has not started all week. How can the air flow sensor have a problem when the engine has not started all week?

After cycling the car off and on for a few more trips for various errands the CEL was still indicating a problem.

I decided to do a bit more research. It seems that these errors are related to the Mass Air Flow sensor attached to the air filter lid. About a week ago I had my car in to have the oil changed and they did inspect the air filter... So I figured they probably wiggled that air filter lid around to check the air filter. The P0113 error does indicate an open circuit with the airflow sensor which is attached to the air filter lid.

I decided to check the connector for the mass air flow sensor. It did seem loose. The little locking tab was pulled out. I decided to to pull the connector and blow it out with compressed air. I put the connector back on and made sure it was locked correctly.

The problem seems to be gone for now. The CEL has gone out.

I am not sure if the service tech just loosened the mass air sensor connector... Or it has a loose wire on that connector. But this may be something to watch out for if you had your filter checked recently and your CEL comes on.

If anyone else has comments on the P0111 and P0113 errors (WOT?) please feel free to comment. Suggestions welcome here.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah seems like sloppy service work or maybe done by a newby who is not trained properly or does not care. Seems its hard to find meticulous people to work on ones car anymore these days. As I mentioned once, I am waiting on someone to complain that service dented their engine hood because of the improper way of closing it and awareness that the metal that seems to be used like aluminum is much softer and dents as I recall on a few threads in this forum.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I used the dealer for dexos oil changes, they wash it, 27 point inspection and if required a tire rotation tossed in. They usually have a coupon on the web site for $48.95.

Generally I can't beat that price.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There's a software update to address false triggering of that DTC in hot weather
Do a search for P0111 and you're sure to find the bulletin
WOT

·
Registered
887 Posts
There's a software update to address false triggering of that DTC in hot weather
WOT
seems like it may have been a legit CEL - OP did say the connector to the MAF was loose.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
WOT
Wow that happened to me last summer after only ~2 months of ownship!

It was an over 100 degree day and I has parked half way in the sun and my Volt was hot when I left work at 5 pm.

About an hour later on the EV drive home the sensor triggered, and the ICE was forced on.

The dealer told me it was a "bad air intake temperature sensor" (nothing to do with EV powertrain) and swapped the sensor.

Never had that or any issue since in over 27,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the dealer for dexos oil changes, they wash it, 27 point inspection and if required a tire rotation tossed in. They usually have a coupon on the web site for $48.95.

Generally I can't beat that price.
My dealer does the 27 point inspection too... And it's all free for three years. Can't beat free. Except when they unplug connectors...

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My dealer does the 27 point inspection too... And it's all free for three years. Can't beat free. Except when they unplug connectors...
Oh jeez it was the dealer! I would look around for a new dealer service I think.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh jeez it was the dealer! I would look around for a new dealer service I think.
From what WOT says... It might not have had anything to do with the connector. (That might have just been a coincidence.) It may be a software glitch. I will have them check it out.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my Volt back from the dealer yesterday. They performed a firmware update related to PIC-5708. So far... everything seems fine.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Good you got it taken care of. Out of curiosity, did they know about the bulletin before you mentioned it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts