GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its almost been a month since our Volt's been built(was built April 6th). It showed up this past Saturday, however, the dealership never called to inform me. I found out today when I did a "chat" on GM.ca. Now to make matters worse, the car was damaged in transit, looks like the tie down straps damaged both left and right front under the front bumper fascia. Bottom left and right corners look like it has an inch to an inch and a half gouge/scratch marks on each side. Its been sent to a body shop for repair(off property I believe). What do I do?? What are my options???

20160429_095343.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the other side looks the same way. Looks like the hold down strap rubbed through the deflector?? What piece do you think that is???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I think that its the body painted bumper fascia and not the deflector. Now I really don't want the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually, I think that its the body painted bumper fascia and not the deflector. Now I really don't want the car.
Wait to see the fix and inspect it before delivery. Get some free services or accessories for your angst. Drive it and accept that it will get scratched in time anyways.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You could pass on the deal...but on the other side, if you consider what one month in shopping parking lots will do to your pristine car...exam the repair work and then make your decision...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the first new car we've ever bought. We've always driven used junk. We were so happy to finally get something new.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Stuff happens in shipping. Always inspect the paint before taking ownership (general rule). I had paint issues with mine but they were buffed out. Yours will require paint. It's not as unusual as you might think. It's not a reason to reject the car. I bad fix would be a reason to reject it, and that happens too.

Now you know why they didn't call you when the car came in. It wasn't ready.

When it's ready be sure to inspect the entire car. Don't get distracted by focusing on the repair area and forget the rest.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This stuff happens. My 2013 Volt showed up with very similar damage. Danged transporters. The dealer used the best body shop in town. It basically was just replacing the plastic body parts and painting to match. With plastic, the paint will be exactly what they use in the factory. The repair went flawlessly. They have this down to a science. The more important thing to have them do is make sure the dealer checks out the front end. When gorillas screw up the strapping process and damage body parts, they can also screw up things underneath.

And yes, exactly a month later, someone parked next to me dinged my right rear fender with their door. It still has that ding in it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well its almost been a month since our Volt's been built(was built April 6th). It showed up this past Saturday, however, the dealership never called to inform me. I found out today when I did a "chat" on GM.ca. Now to make matters worse, the car was damaged in transit, looks like the tie down straps damaged both left and right front under the front bumper fascia. Bottom left and right corners look like it has an inch to an inch and a half gouge/scratch marks on each side. Its been sent to a body shop for repair(off property I believe). What do I do?? What are my options???
Lets put it this way... if it looks perfect after the repair, and you had never known it was damaged during shipment would you have been happy with the car? Many cars are damaged during shipment... they get fixed and sold. You were not informed that your car had arrived because the dealership did a proper inspection upon receiving the car and was correcting a problem before informing you that your car was ready for delivery.

Take the car home and enjoy it. If you want to squeeze some freebies out of the dealership for some reason feel free, but you are not entitled to any compensation on this. If you don't take the car they will be perfectly happy to sell it to someone else who will love and enjoy it.

Keith

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Personally this looks cosmetic to me. My ELR had some damage. After the body shop worked on it you would never know. However, as Keith projected, we have a few nasty scratches in the beautiful exterior.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
Don't really understand the photo that was attached. Shows options for some sort of car built in the Arlington plant??. Can see it is Courtesy Chevrolet dealer. They are a big dealer, tell them to knock off $500 because it was a scratch and dent model.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, that was a buildsheet for my 1970 chevelle SS. I sold it last summer to buy the volt. It was a 396, 4spd car with a/c from Arizona . Funny when you think about it, went from 400hp to hybrid. I you would have told me 20 years ago that iwould sell it to buy the volt i'd say your nuts! !!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I'm sure that the shipping company has now been invoiced to repair the car because it was damaged in transit. I would like that amount taken of the price of the car, plus its being driven around town to have the repair made. I don't think that's unreasonable, what do you think?? Now, who warranties the paint/body repair on the car?? The dealer or body shop?? They car is still technically in GM's name.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
So I'm sure that the shipping company has now been invoiced to repair the car because it was damaged in transit. I would like that amount taken of the price of the car, plus its being driven around town to have the repair made. I don't think that's unreasonable, what do you think?? Now, who warranties the paint/body repair on the car?? The dealer or body shop?? They car is still technically in GM's name.
I doubt the shipping company will be invoiced. I think they typically don't hold any liability against minor body damage, as it is very common.
I'd also doubt you will get them to take a couple hundred off the price. I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Many new cars come off the truck with minor damage. The dealers inspect them, and touch up any problems, that's just part of the business. You're talking about very minor paint damage. Most decent body shops typically warranty their work for the lifetime of the car, but the dealer should also cover it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It's not an issue that the car arrived Saturday and nobody contacted you by Tuesday.
Cars are damaged from time to time during the loading/shipping/unloading process. While unfortunate it does happen. It sounds like the dealership is having the issue taken care of, which is all they can do.

You do have two options; 1) Decline the car due to the damage or 2) buy the car once it is fixed to your satisfaction.

Let us know what you end up doing :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, it is unreasonable. If you are correct and the transport company is being invoiced, then that money is going to be a reimbursement to the dealer who would have had to pay the body shop for the repairs. I'm not sure why you think your entitled to that money.
Any halfway decent body shop will guarantee their work as long as you own the vehicle. So it is the shop that guarantees the work, but a decent dealer would go to bat for you if you had any issues.
Every person has responded that this stuff unfortunately routinely happens. Your dealer is trying to make it right. I don't think you have any business looking for anything beyond your vehicle being repaired to its pre-damaged condition.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
If repaired correctly the car will be indistinguishable from "factory new". Heck, damage can (and does) happen at the factory. And they do the exact same thing as the dealer: repair it before delivery.

The dealer will likely take a pass on your offer to have them pay you, and you can start the ordering process over again. Or, when they are finished making the car look factory new, you can happily drive away with what you have been waiting for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's good that the car finally arrived, albeit the shipping damage. I would ask them to honour the $750 Auto Show rebate which expired yesterday. Given that your car arrived on Saturday, you probably would have had the car before the rebate expired. Just checked and the $1000 GM card application for discontinued vehicles has been extended.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It's good that the car finally arrived, albeit the shipping damage. I would ask them to honour the $750 Auto Show rebate which expired yesterday. Given that your car arrived on Saturday, you probably would have had the car before the rebate expired. Just checked and the $1000 GM card application for discontinued vehicles has been extended.
It doesn't work that way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts