GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can imagine, I was very pleased to hear that my brother is interested in buying a used Volt.

I was concerned with one we test drove, (a 2012) because the lifetime for the car was only 56 MPG. (My Volt is closer to 150) It had about 44K miles. That sends me warning signs that maybe not the best one to buy because it has a lot of miles on it with the gas engine running.

Opinions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is that concern... but I've seen several fleet cars with 30-40K on them picked up local and reporting similar stats. At least you know the engine is broken in significantly and if you are charging, you're just gonna see the maintenance mode for the most part!

Given others who have more miles and higher usage on either the engine and battery... I wouldn't be too concerned. Test drive it and make sure all is in order.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
As you can imagine, I was very pleased to hear that my brother is interested in buying a used Volt.

I was concerned with one we test drove, (a 2012) because the lifetime for the car was only 56 MPG. (My Volt is closer to 150) It had about 44K miles. That sends me warning signs that maybe not the best one to buy because it has a lot of miles on it with the gas engine running.

Opinions?
My 2013 was in a similar situation when I bought it, though it only had 20k on the clock.

Check the mechanicals for any signs of abuse, especially doing tight left and right turns and listening for CV joint "clunk/clatter" and if everything seems fine then I wouldn't worry about the hours on the REX.

I genuinely believe Chevy designed that power-plant as though it were going to be a regular ICE and maintained properly it would probably be good for 300,000 miles or more (or somewhere around 5,000-7,000 hours of run-time) as a regular duty engine so I can't imagine how long it'll last in a Volt where it just gets occasional use.

If the battery was lightly used you may get some odd charging statistics for the first few full charge/discharge cycles until the system "learns" how your brother drives, but I wouldn't let that concern me too much either.

In summary, I'd pretty much treat it like any other car you were considering purchasing, have a qualified mechanic give it a look over and go from there.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

Opinions?
Not a warning sign at all. Some Volts are plugged in frequently, some are never plugged in at all.

Buy the newest year he can truly afford :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Modern engines are built to very high QC standards. Should be no concern. 10 years from now we will see Gen 1 Volts with 400,000 miles still purring.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It's always compared to what...

·
Registered
789 Posts
When I first started looking at the Volts I was looking used. I would recommend at least 2013 or later (2013 was the first year to introduce the 'Hold' mode - not sure if it was made available for '11 and '12 MY).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought a CPO 2014 with 30K and a lifetime average of 57 mpg. No problems with it and the battery is giving me 45+miles/charge.. I would avoid 2012 and older models simply because of the lack of a Hold mode function. It is really nice to press a button to choose when to run the range extender.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
....not the best one to buy because it has a lot of miles on it with the gas engine running.
Another way of looking at is: It doesn't have a lot of EV miles on it cycling the battery pack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Another way of looking at is: It doesn't have a lot of EV miles on it cycling the battery pack.
I thought about that too.

He went ahead and purchased the car today. a 2012. I test drove it for him. Everything seemed to function fine. I'm psyched to see his results. I know he'll enjoy the car. His daily commute is nearly 35 miles each way. He will get free charging at work. He thinks he''ll save about $200 to $250 in gas a month. I think more than that.

I'm pleased he chose the Volt. He was talking about buying a 17 Tesla, but that's a bit too expensive for now.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Since I have no idea what vehicles you have considered or your price range with financing, I cannot advise you on a purchase. However, I suggest that you do more research in your area, consider purchasing a Certified Used vehicle, and finance a vehicle for $200 to $300 per month. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?stkTypId=28881&stkTyp=U&tracktype=usedcc&cpoId=28444&cpo=Y&mkId=20053&AmbMkId=20053&AmbMkNm=Chevrolet&make=Chevrolet&AmbMdId=35025&AmbMdNm=Volt&model=Volt&mdId=35025&prMx=18000&rd=50&zc=60565&searchSource=QUICK_FORM

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
... He was talking about buying a 17 Tesla, but that's a bit too expensive for now.
Which '17 Tesla? The mythical Model 3 ? Good luck with that in '17, '18, '19......

My commute is similar to your bro's. I haven't burned a drop in +16k miles and I mostly charge at free public L2's and DCFC around town.
I only charged at home in the dead of winter for battery TMS reasons. $38 worth.

It's surprising how functional an 82 mile rated Spark EV can be if you have a second gasser sitting at home for road trips.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's surprising how functional an 82 mile rated Spark EV can be if you have a second gasser sitting at home for road trips.
That thought has popped into our head more since we see how rarely break 50 miles in daily driving. The Volt replacement for her will likely a 100-150mi range EV. Something in winter with comfortable heating still gets through the daily driving. That would change of course we if ever decide to reduce to a single car household and want something for some slightly longer trips.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm pleased he chose the Volt. He was talking about buying a 17 Tesla, but that's a bit too expensive for now.
I dunno - assuming the Model 3 actually comes at $35K, maybe not so much. A few of my local dealers have '17 Volts on their lots for $40K - $41K, well above what the Model 3 is supposed to cost. From what I've seen, that is very much on the high side when these cars are supposed to be like what? $33K new or thereabouts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts