GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised, here is my My Ally Lease Return Experience - Enjoy:)

The Final Disposition

I leased a 2012 Loaded Volt from out of state (MO) on 8/31/12 with the following terms:

MSRP = $45,680 (pretty much loaded)
Adjusted Cap Cost = $36,045
Out of pocket costs = $1130.15 (AZ VLT & 1st mo lease payment)
Lease Payment = $358.87 (includes AZ tax)
Lease Terms = 24 month/30K miles (15K/yr)
Delivery from MO to AZ $750

I returned the car 6 months early on 2/22/14 as I had used up all my miles. Keeping her longer would have cost an arm and a leg in excess mileage fees. I only went over by 18 miles for a whopping $3.90. BTW they actually tax the excess miles!

Contrary to what some folks may think, there is no penalty to return a leased Volt to Ally early, unless it is so stated on your lease. As a matter of fact, I saved money by returning it early (see "Less - Unearned Rent Charges") below.

Here is a copy of my Final Account Settlement:

Text Font Line Document Paper

So you see I actually saved almost an entire payment ($344.75) by turning her in early. Plus I got $331 back from the AZ DMV by cancelling my registration early as well.

The Experience

This was my first lease that I considered an extended test drive to see if the new tech was right for me. It was as I bought a 2014 Volt last September:)

Anyway I was worried to death the entire time about excess damage fees, excess tire wear, etc., so I probably won't lease again; too much stress for this worry wart.

Since I bought out of state I needed to return the car to a dealer in AZ, read, I did NOT lease from them.

So I emailed the closest Chevy dealer, AutoNation Chevrolet Superstition Springs in Mesa, AZ. They responded promptly, and a couple of emails later I was put in touch with their internet department manager.

What do you think his first question was? Yep you got it, "Will you be leasing another car?" Of course when I told him I had already bought a new 2014 Volt...the conversation went dead silent!

I sent a couple more email and got SLOWWWWWWW responses. Finally he said all I needed to do was bring the car in anytime and to have my Ally account number. When the day got closer I told him EXACTLY when I would be there.

Return Day

On my way to the dealer to return the car I had a nice little adventure at the car wash that you can read here:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?101193-Volt-Won-t-Start-After-Car-Wash-On-the-way-to-turn-in-(Leased)!!!-Hint-Diagnostic

So after I got that all sorted out I arrived at the dealer and went to the front desk to ask who could help me with my return; she sent me to a long desk with 5 managers sitting there. I walked up to the closest fellow.

Hello Sir, I was hoping you could help me with a lease return. He goes, "Ummm, well, I don't think that is going to happen today, we are pretty busy? " Blood pressure is rising:mad:!

Busy my ass! This is 10AM, most of the sales staff were just standing around jabbering. Not to mention the 5 managers sitting there with doe in the headlights looks on their faces. Hell, I planned ahead, my wife had to alter her VERY busy schedule to pick me up after my son's soccer game, I just paid for a deluxe car wash, etc!

I remained calm and said, "But Egor told me to just bring it in." He goes oh then let me see if he can help you then."

Egor came over and was not thrilled to see me, but he did get the odometer statement from the oh so helpful manger and he helped me. He looked briefly at the car, looked at the odometer and asked me to move it to a holding location. Then we went in an finished filing out the odometer statement. That was it, then I left. It took all of 1/2 hour.

To say this experience pissed me off is an understatement. Do you think they would have been more helpful if I said I wanted also lease or buy that Corvette that day? I did write Chevy to tell them how dissatisfied I was. I mean you LOVE to lease them but treat the customers like annoyances when they return them?? I got a reply from a Volt advisor pleading the same old tired "they are independant dealers...BS." I replied that if you keep relying on that same lame spiel it is only a matter of time before the next bankruptcy.

The Drama Continues

So I wait patiently to see a copy of my return inspection report at: https://www.inspections.ally.com/viw/aspx/general/customerlogin.aspx

After 10 days I chatted with an Ally rep. online on 3/5/14. I found out that the incompetent dealer never sent the odometer statement in. This is what prompts Ally to dispatch the inspector. Thankfully I had a copy that I faxed over to them. Good thing they accepted it as they could have told me it had to come from the dealer.

So all should be good right. That's a big NO there my happy readers.

Since there still was no inspection report a week later, I chatted with Ally again on 3/12/14. They said someone would call me back. They did, the next day.

Come to find out the inspector could not find my car. Why you may ask. The form (odometer statement) my incompetent dealer uses for leases had header information for a dealer in Adrian, MI (looked like it was a fax copy)! Guess where Ally sent the inspector? BTW the day I turned in the car I called Ally to inform then the when's and where's, yet they still sent the guy to the wrong place.

Anyway I gave them the correct dealer info again and waited.

On 3/17/14 the inspection report showed up on the site I listed earlier. Freakin FINALLY! It is now just 5 days short of a month since I turned the car in.

Here is a copy of the report:
Text Product Web page Font Website
Text Font Website Web page Screenshot
Text Font Line Screenshot Number
Text Font Line Screenshot Number

Ok so all my worrying about excess fees was for naught. They only wanted to charge me for the damage that happened when a bird bounced off the front bow tie, but only $21.80, no biggie.

Then on 3/24/14 I got a letter from Ally saying that they were charging me $3.90 for the excess miles and to please pay promptly; I used the same bill pay settings that I had I paid all my monthly payments with to send in the amount requested. They said once they sell the car they would send the Final Account Settlement. BTW they did not mention or charge me for the bird bowtie damage +1 for Ally:cool:

SUMMARY

So this morning I put a check in the mail (no bill pay this time) to close this chapter of my life out. Too bad they did not credit me the $3.90 that I sent via bill pay, but it is not worth fighting for. I just sent them the full amount requested to get this over with ASAP.

I do wish they would have told me what they got for the car as my residual was $29,599.90, and I know they did not get that much. Of course the did keep the $7500 tax credit, so that lessens their loss.

So there you go, now you know a little more than you did before...peace brothers and sisters!:cool:

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Sorry for your aggravation!
Sounds as bad as having to deal with "the other guy's" insurance company to get a claim paid.

I have two work associates that have lease vehicles that need to be turned in this year- they're both very nervous about it (especially the one with the BMW!).

· Registered
2,423 Posts
I would have kept more of my leverage and said we'll discuss my next lease or options after the lease turn in is finalized....

When buying a car, and they ask, "are you going to trade, lease, finance", I always say it depends on the final agreed upon purchase price of the car...

MrEnergyCzar

· Registered
949 Posts
Doudis2, thank you for the detailed report.

It's interesting to see what ally considers chargeable or not regarding some of the exterior damages.

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a little slow on the math. How much did it costs you all-in for the 2 year lease (30K miles)?

Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed reading your experience.
Oh I don't know without adding it all up myself, but I can tell you that before I leased the Volt I was spending $350/mo to commute with my 2000 GMC Sierra. Considering that my lease payment on a fantastic new car was only $9 more per month...well you do the math, lol!

My commute is 42 miles each way and I charge up at work so the Volt(s) have been perfect for me. Love my 2014 Volt; she's a keeper:)

· Registered
422 Posts
Thanks very much for posting.

BTW- Did you have any curb rash on any wheels? Any idea how much is 'allowed'?

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for posting.

BTW- Did you have any curb rash on any wheels? Any idea how much is 'allowed'?
Hi guys and no mine did not have that issue as the one time we had a sidewall blowout I was able to get GM to replace both the tire and scuffed up rim under "defective tire" warranty. I had discount tire inspect the blowout before I let GM get their hands on it so that I would have a professional second opinion if GM tried to blame the damage on me. They didn't though, with the help of my Volt advisor the did the right thing.

As for the lease return inspection criteria, it is covered pretty well in Ally's Lease Return Kit found here: http://www.ally.com/resources/pdf/auto/ally-vehicle-lease-return-kit.pdf

· Registered
116 Posts
ON the contrary, I have just gotten bent over by ally on my volt lease

just received the end-of-lease settlement statement from ally. They want over $800 in 'damages' to the car, including calling small dings that were far smaller than the 'helpful dent measurer' card they sent me 'dents', reference charges for a repair to a door that never has had damage and was never repaired, and for a 'large dent in hood' that again was clearly far smaller than what was supposed to be allowed. they have taken my entire security deposit and expect me to pay them for the rest.

This for a car that the nice gentleman at the dealer told me while i was turning it in that it looked to be in near perfect condition, and would likely not incur any charges at all.

i am livid. this may end my relationship with GM for good.

· Registered
286 Posts
The experience with the dealership is a good example of why Tesla wants to manage their own. Every other manufacturer of high value products has their own sales teams and is able to manage this experience. I leased for the same reasons as you, and 8 month later I regret not making a traditional purchase. This was my first leased car, and it will be the last.

· Registered
151 Posts
We are returning our volt a couple months early as we bought a MB B class all electric.

The Volt we have is also in near perfect condition - only we have detailed photographs of the entire vehicle - including undercarriage and roof and motor area.

That said, you are not REQUIRED to return a perfect vehicle - it is normal wear and tear - and if they sue you they need to establish what they contend is normal wear and tear - which would make for an interesting deposition of their experts. You can't just send it in and demand money from a customer. I'm sure they do it all the time - but in our case - we will have date stamped photos the day we turn it in and then a few overview photos of the car at the dealership.

I'm fully prepared to fight them because according to my buddy wholesale for the cars is only $14-15k - the residual is $26k - meaning they are going to lose a fortune unless they have special double secret deal with GM to get covered on the loss. So given the $10k-12k loss, they're going to be looking to get some cash from us . . . .

Remember the bottom of the bumper scraping on 11/12/13 vehicles? That's normal wear and tear for these vehicles yet a friend who turned it in was sent a bill for $15000 for the rubber on the bottom of the bumper - I sent Ally a letter for him - and accused them of unfair trade practices treating that as a damage item when its a normal wear item for a Volt. Never heard from them again.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
We are returning our volt a couple months early as we bought a MB B class all electric.

The Volt we have is also in near perfect condition - only we have detailed photographs of the entire vehicle - including undercarriage and roof and motor area.

That said, you are not REQUIRED to return a perfect vehicle - it is normal wear and tear - and if they sue you they need to establish what they contend is normal wear and tear - which would make for an interesting deposition of their experts. You can't just send it in and demand money from a customer. I'm sure they do it all the time - but in our case - we will have date stamped photos the day we turn it in and then a few overview photos of the car at the dealership.

I'm fully prepared to fight them because according to my buddy wholesale for the cars is only $14-15k - the residual is $26k - meaning they are going to lose a fortune unless they have special double secret deal with GM to get covered on the loss. So given the $10k-12k loss, they're going to be looking to get some cash from us . . . .

Remember the bottom of the bumper scraping on 11/12/13 vehicles? That's normal wear and tear for these vehicles yet a friend who turned it in was sent a bill for $15000 for the rubber on the bottom of the bumper - I sent Ally a letter for him - and accused them of unfair trade practices treating that as a damage item when its a normal wear item for a Volt. Never heard from them again.
I believe leasing companies have 'residual value insurance' that shields them from such hits. That could be why some lessors never negotiate.

· Registered
40 Posts
Well, I am going through Ally nightmare return right now. Just got a inspection sheet- $1003 in chargeable damage, including A MISSING HIGH VOLTAGE CAR CHARGER!!!! I don't know if someone at the dealership stole it, but they are claiming it was not there at the inspection. They also charged $160 for moderate scratches to front air fascia! This thing has been scraping on the ground since day 1. Dealer actually had to replace it since it split in half 6 months into the lease. I am so pissed. No more Chevy leases ever. Does anyone have any specific recommendations since I am at the start of this process (just placed a call to Ally last night to start charges dispute and was told "someone will call me back in 24-48 hrs"? Thank you in advance.

· Registered
495 Posts
I am seriously surprised that this educated group of VOLT drivers dont have a check off form or even a made up one that details every thing that is in the car, on the car, damage, photos etc... and signed by the dealer to show what you turned in. In this day and age of photo and video everything I am shocked that this isn't done by our leesee's let alone the dealership.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.