GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two words: Awesome & Flawless!

When I usually head up to the Bay Area for a business meeting from Laguna Beach, I jump on a plane at John Wayne Airport in the morning, use BART/cabs/etc to get to and from the meeting, and fly back at night.

Well... with the new Volt less than 2 weeks old, and my love for Highway 1 and 101, a road trip was too good to pass up. My meeting at Google was on Wednesday - but I needed to be at a client site in Santa Paula (Southern California) on Tuesday and Thursday.

So, off I went at 6pm Tuesday evening. took me 6 hours on the 101 (with occasional stops) and arrived before midnight. Great drive! Got out of the car with no sore back or discomfort. Got to really try out the car.

My meeting was done about 1:30pm in Mountain View, and traffic looked less than fun on the 101, so I cut over at Salinas to Monterey and took Highway 1 all the way to San Luis Obispo. I have loved this drive since I was a teenager. And, this was the very best drive ever.Weather was perfect. light fog on the water painted and wrapped itself around around rocks and islands in the ocean. Got back to Santa Paula about 10pm in time for a late night session with an IT Director. So, over 8 hours of driving and again no fatigue.

The car was awesome to drive and performed flawlessly, including some high speed passing and lots of winding roads. Highway 1 was made to be driven.

I talked about this a bit on my show last night and the podcast will be up on KX935.com by 6pm PDT tonight for anyone wanting to listen.

Obviously, I am really enjoying the Volt

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wish there were more people like yourself in a possition to truly get the word out!
Preach on brother!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice write up of your journey up the coast and back. Looking forward to listening to the podcast when it's posted.

Glad you're enjoying your Volt so much like the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I did an 800 mile run the last 3 days Tue-Wed-Thu. I was in CS except for the first 40 from each end. My stats kind of tanked, but, my lifetime MPG is still > 100.

I had to do some 60-to-80 passes and the car performed better than most I have driven. A few have had better acceleration for this kind of jump, but, just a few with high HP V-8 engines. I was NOT getting this kind of mileage with a V-8! I "filled up" three times @ 5gal per fill. With this run, you need to keep an eye on the gas gauge since part of it is pretty barren.

I also am impressed with the seat support and comfort. I have constant back pain and didn't get any extra twinges during the run. Other cars I have driven on this run (and not cheap ones) have killed my back.

The XM came in handy since there are zero stations for part of the run through Oklahoma.

Awesome balanced car.

Edit:
Volt has the easiest to use cruise control I have ever seen. And I have driven hundreds of different cars.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Volt has the easiest to use cruise control I have ever seen. And I have driven hundreds of different cars.
I'll ditto that. The Volt's CC is extremely smooth and I especially like it combined with a display of the set target speed after toggling up or down. My Mazda nails the throttle hard, even when I make a small change. My Toyota incremented slowly, but you had to guess at the target speed you selected; go up too fast and it would downshift unnecessarily; then you had to wait and see to find out what speed was selected, and inevitably, adjust again. I also like the Volt having the controls on the wheel - thus avoiding undesired windshield wiper sweeps while attempting speed adjustments. :mad:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Podcast is up

Really good points made in this topic about cruise control. I used it a lot and it was so easy to use it became automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts