GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update:

Picked up my car from the dealer today. They didn't do much but my car is charging fine so far. They apparently just cleared the codes and charged it. What is strange is that my 120V EVSE still doesn't work right with the car but a 120V at the dealer and my 240V at home now appear to be working.

I'm starting to think that moisture might have been the culprit and by some strange coincidence there is a problem with my 120V EVSE?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
OK another update and now i'm getting agrivated. My car was charging fine throught the weekend on both my 120V and 240V EVSE. We had some good rain here on Monday and that evening I came home to plug in to my 240V EVSE and my car charged for ~20mins and the EVSE kicked out and kept cycling. After about 40mins the car quit trying to charge. I had a CEL again with the same two codes.

P0D26 and P1E00 (for sure double checked phonetically with OnStar)

Took my car to the dealer and they quickly plugged in their 120V EVSE from another Volt. Same thing happened the car would cycle on and off the relays sometimes rapidly and sometimes after about a minute (would try to charge for a little bit). Light would cycle yellow and sometimes go green with a horn chirp.

The service advisor told me that with the P0D26 code in the system the car won't accept a charge and that the problem is still likely with my EVSE's at home. That the code should clear itself and all will be fine.

My theory based on WOT's eariler comments is that when we get a good rain water is getting into something it's not supposed to. I don't want to wait for codes to clear every time it rains when my car is charging.

Any thoughts? I've also contacted my Volt service advisor at GM and they too are going to try to help/clarify things.

To add I mentioned that the charge socket may be the culprit. But the dealer told me they cannot change the socket without solid proof the socket is the problem.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If you take it back with the same DTC the dealer SHOULD replace the socket

Besides what is documented in the bulletin PIP4905 I previously mentioned, the P0D26 diagnostic document states the following in the "Diagnostic Aids" section:

•The control pilot and proximity status circuits are susceptible to moisture intrusion, corrosion, and terminal damage. Extreme care must be taken when probing terminals and manipulating harnesses. Poor terminal connections can result in intermittent operation. Terminal damage or moisture intrusion may cause intermittent appearance of DTC P0D26.

•If corrosion, moisture, or damage is detected on one connector, always be sure to inspect the mating connector as well.

•If signs of moisture intrusion are observed in the hybrid/EV battery charger receptacle harness connector, such as moisture or corrosion, hybrid/EV battery charger receptacle should be replaced to avoid repeated failure.

So the should probably just replace your socket if there is ANY signs of water intrusion AND ALSO inspect your 120V EVSE to make sure it isn't contaminated as well...

BTW your dealer and VA are correct in that whenever the P0D26 is present (MIL on) then all charging operations are disabled. So switching EVSEs after the DTC triggers isn't really going to tell you much unless the code is first cleared with a scan tool

WOT

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the response WOT.

My 120V EVSE plug last August was damaged (only a couple of weeks after getting the car) and I replaced the cord with a heavy duty Leviton cord as I didn't want to pay $600 for a new 120V EVSE. It served me well everyday. Last January I had my SPX Voltec 240V EVSE installed at home. And up untill the recent events it too has worked fine.

The first CEL actually resulted from charging at a public 240V charging station. The dealer after clearing the codes had issues charging my car with my 120V EVSE. The second time the my CEL came on it was from my 240V EVSE at home so it seems clear that the issue must be with a car.

I somehow need to convince my dealer of that. Because currently they seem convinced otherwise.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.