GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on reading many posts about what people are doing about not having a spare upon delivery, I decided against the spare kit for my 2017. The price (in the mid to upper 300s) was not my primary issue-- it was the space that will be lost all the time.

I decided to go with a lower cost, albeit somewhat riskier solution:

1. Scissor jack from Walmart for $18.53 after sales tax:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-1.5-Ton-Scissor-Jack/14560046

2. Flat repair kit (reamer/plugger) from Walmart for $3.12 after sales tax: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Deluxe-Reamer-Plugger/47301725

3. Pump that is already in the car.

4. Diagonal cutters I already had to clip the excess plug material.

5. Pliers I already had to remove foreign object stuck in tire.

6. Socket and socket wrench I already had.

7. Small flashlight I already had.

Caveats:
1. I plugged in the GM provided pump and it works and I assume can blow up a patched tire.

2. If I get a side wall puncture, this stuff will do me no good. I have a AAA membership and will use it if that ever happens and get towed. I don't think I've ever had a side wall puncture with 30 years of driving but I have had lots of "normal" punctures.

3. The jack does not have a groove like the one in the spare kit, but there is enough room next to the jack spots on the car, towards the inside to fit the flat jack head. I jacked up the left front and rear enough to get each tire off the ground to make sure it will work for me.

4. I've stowed the jack in the spot for the OEM jack under the back deck cover on the right side and it sticks up about 1/4 inch, which makes the back deck cover not quite flat. It's not a big deal for me.

5. The crank for the jack and the plug kit fit under the back deck cover on the left side where there is an indentation next to the pump/goo kit.

6. The pliers, cutters, flashlight, socket and ratchet fit in with the Level 1 charger, which I don't really use. I guess I could get a fabric sack or something to keep it all together.

7. It's not as convenient as a spare since I will have to repair the tire right there on the side of the road. That will suck, but that is one thing I am willing to accept to not lose the space the spare would use.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You might consider getting a spare and keeping it in your garage. The sidewall punctures have proven to be very inconvenient when you can't get the replacement tire you need quickly.

Also, I was worried about the cargo room, but have always been able to carry what I need beside and on top of my compact spare. We all carry different stuff, of course, but it has not been as bad as I thought it would be.

Yeah, I'd rather let roadside service take care of it, but at 1 am when I have no cell service and am out of town, I like having one more option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What kind of spare type will fit to the 17 Volt? Can you guys give a link, if possible? Thanks.
Search spare tire in the forum search bar and check thread from Millivolt.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You might consider getting a spare and keeping it in your garage. The sidewall punctures have proven to be very inconvenient when you can't get the replacement tire you need quickly.

Also, I was worried about the cargo room, but have always been able to carry what I need beside and on top of my compact spare. We all carry different stuff, of course, but it has not been as bad as I thought it would be.

Yeah, I'd rather let roadside service take care of it, but at 1 am when I have no cell service and am out of town, I like having one more option.
I have a full-size spare that I carry most of the time. So far, trunk space is not a major issue. I tried and can fit two 22" rollaboard suitcases and a computer bag in the trunk with no problem. I only use the loin-cloth back cover so there is some flexibility with space. I have AAA so if I have a flat, they will be called, although I also have a scissor jack and wrench on board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts