GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
59,000 miles and lifetime 130 MPGe, based on total energy of electricity and gasoline used. My 2017 Chevy Volt proved to be as efficient as a Tesla Model 3 non-performance rear wheel drive edition, the most energy efficient Model of Tesla. Oh yeah, I now got a lifetime 1,459 mpg, literally. Unbelievable? But 59,000 miles don’t lie as recorded by third party monitoring sites and GM’s OnStar servers.

The latest trip, I have to turn on the cabin heater for defrosting the windshield quickly but it didn’t affect the Lifetime MPGe.

0Volt130MPGe by Joe Real, on Flickr

0Volt59K by Joe Real, on Flickr

Two years and one month,= equals 59,000 miles later, it still drives like brand new, with all the power and no battery degradation!

0VoltTowing by Joe Real, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Nice!
And in the photo, it looks like you are hooked up to a trailer, making your achievement doubly impressive!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Not only is the Gen 2 Volt efficient on electric it also holds its own when operating on the gas engine. With over 47,000 on our 2016 Volt Premier, and 16,300 miles on gas our overall mpg is over 141 mpg combined, on just the gas engine it 48.4 mpg lifetime. The last 3 trips with over 200 miles just on gas has been over 59 mpg on Costco reg. 87 octane, and when operating on electric for those 3 trips has been 4.5 miles per KWH. I am pretty sure no US passenger car can compare with this, the Honda Clarity, not a true electric vehicle like the Volt, probably could not match those figures.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! I only use CostCo gas 87 octane. My last few trips on gas was 75-85 MPG cs by turning hold mode on on Freeway after reaching speed limit, and using electricity before going in and after going out of freeway on long trips. My very last trip on gas was 166 miles using only 1.65 gallons of gas, which achieved 101 MPG cs for that trip. This was about 8 months ago. Haven't used gas ever since, except for the EMM.

Volt101 by Joe Real, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yes! I only use CostCo gas 87 octane. My last few trips on gas was 75-85 MPG cs by turning hold mode on on Freeway after reaching speed limit, and using electricity before going in and after going out of freeway on long trips. My very last trip on gas was 166 miles using only 1.65 gallons of gas, which achieved 101 MPG cs for that trip. This was about 8 months ago. Haven't used gas ever since, except for the EMM.

Volt101 by Joe Real, on Flickr
The only way you went 160 miles on a gallon and a half of gas is if you were coasting downhill.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We had a few trips where when we returned home we had 130 miles total, 65 miles on electric and over 60 mpg on gas. That was under dry road conditions and temps 70 F with my wife and I fully loaded with fishing gear, cooler etc. The EPA for gas 42 mpg for our 2016 Volt. Even from a cold start the first 7-10 miles or so the gas only mpg's is usually more than that. We also have a 2010 Prius and the last fill up was 51 mpg for comparison.

Also the Prius take a bigger hit in gas only mpg during the winter than the Volt. The Prius is usually at 43-45 mpg while the Volt is usually in the upper 40's to low 50's...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way you went 160 miles on a gallon and a half of gas is if you were coasting downhill.
Can you show me on a map here in Northern California where I can find a route with 166 miles of downhill run?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Maybe there is a strong tail wind.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Last winter when I drove out of town for Thanksgiving, I drove close to 200 miles with an excessively strong headwind. My CS MPG was 23 MPG. I felt like I was driving the Malibu loaner I had again!

I usually get about 38 MPG in the winter and 45 MPG in the summer on my engine, with ~85-90% electric during the summer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm at a disadvantage because I got mine used and apparently for the first year of its life, my 2017 was driven like a gas car: they rarely, if ever, plugged it in to charge it. So no matter what I do, I'll always have that first ~18,000 miles as gas miles. I also wonder what that did to the battery, although I still get the normal 14.0 kWH out of a full battery.

Since I got it, I've put about 8000 miles on it, 99% of which were electric. Only time I use gas is FMM and EMM. So if I keep it long enough, I guess my numbers will improve over time. Right now I'm sitting at about 81 MPG lifetime.

Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
I also wonder what that did to the battery
As long as it never sat for any extended period of time without being driven, most likely nothing.

"Empty" (the point at which the engine switches on) is still probably 30% charged, which is usually fine for a lithium battery as long as it's being "exercised" regularly which occurs when driving. Sitting without current flowing in/out of it for long periods of time is another story.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It would be nice to obtain that mileage Joe, but in mine with a trip of over 1000 miles, I initially got 42 mpg (in Hold) and on the trip back, it dropped to 38 mpg (in Hold). Less than 30,000 miles on it. I guess i had better start getting fuel @ Costco cause the 87 that I get at Shell certainly isn't working as well as yours.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm at a disadvantage because I got mine used and apparently for the first year of its life, my 2017 was driven like a gas car: they rarely, if ever, plugged it in to charge it. So no matter what I do, I'll always have that first ~18,000 miles as gas miles. I also wonder what that did to the battery, although I still get the normal 14.0 kWH out of a full battery.
I wouldn't concern myself about it. I suspect you didn't buy the Volt to drive up its MPG but rather to drive it to see how high you could get your MPG. Or, said another way, how much you can drive it on electricity.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be nice to obtain that mileage Joe, but in mine with a trip of over 1000 miles, I initially got 42 mpg (in Hold) and on the trip back, it dropped to 38 mpg (in Hold). Less than 30,000 miles on it. I guess i had better start getting fuel @ Costco cause the 87 that I get at Shell certainly isn't working as well as yours.
Traffic during commute can boost your MPGe or MPGcs, by a lot! I used to put up with it, but the ACC in the Volt was a God-send. I just listen and relax to music rather than stressed out and freak out for almost hitting the car in front.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No all that much traffic in ND, MN, WI but then there is Chicago and then a nice drive (mostly) in MI. Heading back I decided to go through the UP of MI and then as there is a favorite place to stay & eat in Menomonie WI, we cut back down to the interstate and again a pretty leisurely drive the rest of the trip. Not really any need for ACC except in the stop & go in Chicago area and I don't think it works for that.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Here are 3 combined fishing trips down to Tillamook Oregon with our 2016 Volt Premier, with me, my wife, and all our fishing gear, her camera gear etc. Total vehicle weight over 4,000 lbs. The screen did not reset after charging as each charge was only about 90% because we had to use level 1 charging at our house at 8 amp due to remodeling around the area of our level 2 charger.

Trip via highway 101 with speeds 25 MPH to 60 MPH max. Our Volt as over 47,000 miles, 16,300 miles on just gas. Gas is Costco 87 octane reg. Tires are original Michelin Energy Saver AS with 42-44 PSI in all 4.

20180917_201149.jpg

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are 3 combined fishing trips down to Tillamook Oregon with our 2016 Volt Premier, with me, my wife, and all our fishing gear, her camera gear etc. Total vehicle weight over 4,000 lbs. The screen did not reset after charging as each charge was only about 90% because we had to use level 1 charging at our house at 8 amp due to remodeling around the area of our level 2 charger.

Trip via highway 101 with speeds 25 MPH to 60 MPH max. Our Volt as over 47,000 miles, 16,300 miles on just gas. Gas is Costco 87 octane reg. Tires are original Michelin Energy Saver AS with 42-44 PSI in all 4.

View attachment 155553
Wow excellent MPGe and MPGcs for such a loaded car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome. On my 2016 Volt Premier, I bought it at 27.400 miles or so, how has about 30,200, the previous owner had about 82 percent electrical use, and I haven't been able to budge the lifetime MPGe much past 80 yet. But my experience with day-to-day MPGe has been great - most commutes are in the 150+ MPGe range, some 180 or higher, over rolling Connecticut hills.

·
8,680 Posts
Not really. The car didn't get more efficient - the driver outperformed EPA by a bunch! Presumably if you'd been driving the Tesla, you would have done ~25% better than EPA with it, too.

Impressively efficient driving, btw. :)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Not really. The car didn't get more efficient - the driver outperformed EPA by a bunch! Presumably if you'd been driving the Tesla, you would have done ~25% better than EPA with it, too.

Impressively efficient driving, btw. :)
Outperforming the EPA by 10-15% is pretty easy with GM's small sedans. 20% and above is impressive.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts