GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,17 volt
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to bed it was raining, woke up to find my volt was an ice cube, no problem hit the key fob to precondition, wonder into the garage to wait 10 min. come out side after 10 min and precondition did nothing to the ice, so, hop into the car and start it up to get the motor started to help with the defrost, car temp system says -12c, leave the car to go back into garage, close the door, the horn honks, keys are in my pocket. my car is honking at 5:00 am in the morning, ok my bad, should of left the keys in the car, something I'm not keen on.
10 min latter I come out and check on car, the windows are sort of clear, great, disconnect charge cord and try to close charge door, will not close because of to much ice build up, so as I'm trying to chip the ice out of the charge port, the f car honks three time to remind me to close the charge door at 5:00 am in the morning.
rant portion of story
the car is not my nanny, its going to make me disconnect the horn with this **** going on, not a safe thing to do, and im ok with messages on the dispay
moving on, manage to get charge door closed and hop into car and check engine lite is on
p1aee, p1aef motors a and b to high of voltage
p0ac4 hybrid powertrain control mod requested mil
guess its not ok to have it plugged in and engine running at the same time with full battery
keep on volting my friends

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
went to bed it was raining, woke up to find my volt was an ice cube, no problem hit the key fob to precondition, wonder into the garage to wait 10 min. come out side after 10 min and precondition did nothing to the ice, so, hop into the car and start it up to get the motor started to help with the defrost, car temp system says -12c, leave the car to go back into garage, close the door, the horn honks, keys are in my pocket. my car is honking at 5:00 am in the morning, ok my bad, should of left the keys in the car, something I'm not keen on.
10 min latter I come out and check on car, the windows are sort of clear, great, disconnect charge cord and try to close charge door, will not close because of to much ice build up, so as I'm trying to chip the ice out of the charge port, the f car honks three time to remind me to close the charge door at 5:00 am in the morning.
rant portion of story
the car is not my nanny, its going to make me disconnect the horn with this **** going on, not a safe thing to do, and im ok with messages on the dispay
moving on, manage to get charge door closed and hop into car and check engine lite is on
p1aee, p1aef motors a and b to high of voltage
p0ac4 hybrid powertrain control mod requested mil
guess its not ok to have it plugged in and engine running at the same time with full battery
keep on volting my friends
The Volt triple honked because the car was running and you left the key fob inside when you closed the driver's door. The Volt will not let you shift out of Park with the charging cord plugged in. The Volt will display a warning message if the charge port is open but it will not honk the horn.

As far as preconditioning your Volt, you can extend the preconditioning cycle for an additional 10 minutes (for 20 minutes total) if you wait 30 seconds after initiating the first preconditioning cycle, then repeat the key fob sequence (lock doors, within 2 seconds press and hold the remote start/preconditioning button down for 3 seconds) If you can anticipate similar weather, before you shut off the Volt set the climate control to Max Defrost, Max heat, recirculate cabin air and set the cabin temperature to HI. When you use the key fob to precondition the last settings will be used.

I am not familiar with the error messages. Once you started the gas engine you could have unplugged the Volt, it would have made little difference. There is a 3rd party charge port cover available for keeping snow and ice out of the port (or you can fashion your own.)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I had a similar problem with the charge port door too iced up to close one day. I eventually just left it open and drove like that. No honk warning for me (MY2013). No problem, really. It cleared later in the sun. But that is something that the designers probably didn't anticipate. The charge port door is a lot like a gas cap door, but we never leave those open long enough to ice up, so this is a new problem unique to EVs. The charge port door ideally would have some better way to deal with snow. Maybe if it opened upward and had side baffles on it that would keep the snow out. Would be nice in the rain as well.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That is one warning that cannot be disabled.
Maybe not, but I don't think my car honks under those conditions. I have the following setting turned off:
config - vehicle settings - remote locking, unlocking, starting - remote left in vehicle reminder (off).

Maybe that is something different. Not sure.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Maybe not, but I don't think my car honks under those conditions. I have the following setting turned off:
config - vehicle settings - remote locking, unlocking, starting - remote left in vehicle reminder (off).

Maybe that is something different. Not sure.
Remote left in vehicle reminder is when the Volt is turned off. When the Volt is running the triple honk warning will activate any time you exit the Volt and close the driver's door (Edit: when the remote is not in the vehicle.)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Remote left in vehicle reminder is when the Volt is turned off. When the Volt is running the triple honk warning will activate any time you exit the Volt and close the driver's door (whether or not the remote is still in the vehicle.)
I am nearly certain my Volt will not honk if I leave it running, leave the key inside, exit and close the door. It definitely will honk at me if I take the key with me (unless I do the open window trick). MY2013, and it has all the recall updates.

I agree the honk when you take the key with you while it is running is not something that can be changed in the settings menu.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I tried to determine where you are located, but Location: says planet earth. Where on Planet Earth...Antarctica?

·
Registered
16,17 volt
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the honking was annoying, to say the least, mostly because the neighbor has already mentioned about the honking
keys were in my pocket all the time
the car was plugged in all the time, so, precondition for 10 min, hop in, start the car,engine runs due to temp, jump out close door walk away 3 honks, 30 sec later back into the car, honk, turn on max defrost, hop out do not close door , walked away 1 honk and door chime going full boar, door still open. come back in ten minutes, chip ice away and remove charge cord, as im chipping ice away to be able to close the charge door the car honks, that was a defineing moment for me becouse I had this sudden urge to use the screw driver that i was using to chip ice and stick it through the heart of the car where ever that might be and put both of us out of our misery. close charge door hop in to the car , close the door, door chiming stops, wait a moment in the silence, and wouldnt you know it, as i go to shift it into gear, one more honk

the more important thing about all of this, is the chek engine lite, I think the hybrid control module needs a few more lines of code
looks like if you have it plugged in and you start it and the engine runs due to temperature, the battery gets energy from both the generator and the wall at the same time, it increased the voltage to a point it trips a over voltage code
not a good thing for the battery and where do I send the bill for r&d:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
the honking was annoying, to say the least, mostly because the neighbor has already mentioned about the honking
keys were in my pocket all the time
the car was plugged in all the time, so, precondition for 10 min, hop in, start the car,engine runs due to temp, jump out close door walk away 3 honks, 30 sec later back into the car, honk, turn on max defrost, hop out do not close door , walked away 1 honk and door chime going full boar, door still open. come back in ten minutes, chip ice away and remove charge cord, as im chipping ice away to be able to close the charge door the car honks, that was a defineing moment for me becouse I had this sudden urge to use the screw driver that i was using to chip ice and stick it through the heart of the car where ever that might be and put both of us out of our misery. close charge door hop in to the car , close the door, door chiming stops, wait a moment in the silence, and wouldnt you know it, as i go to shift it into gear, one more honk

the more important thing about all of this, is the chek engine lite, I think the hybrid control module needs a few more lines of code
looks like if you have it plugged in and you start it and the engine runs due to temperature, the battery gets energy from both the generator and the wall at the same time, it increased the voltage to a point it trips a over voltage code
not a good thing for the battery and where do I send the bill for r&d:)
I must admit the Volt is pretty annoying with the sounds it makes. Not only are the chimes too loud, they are too often, and those short horn bursts are annoying (before you ask: Yes have turned the sounds down as low as you can). I have a 2018 LT and I swear GM engineers think babies are driving their vehicles. We just bought also a 2018 Nissan LEAF and the sounds are much softer and easier, even the clicking noise the turn signal makes - seems much more refined and of course softer sounding. Anyway, the sounds are way nicer and the Leaf does not beep at you so much...I still love my Volt but wish the sounds were like the Leaf's.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The triple honk thing is definitely annoying. There should be a way to disable it. If they want a fall-back to alert you that you left the car on and took the keys, maybe when you disable it, instead of honking 3 times, it could start the pedestrian alert sound instead.

Mike

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I just unlock the door (clunk), hop in, push start button, press ebrake release button and drive away. No honking, no chimes, no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The triple honk thing is definitely annoying. There should be a way to disable it. If they want a fall-back to alert you that you left the car on and took the keys, maybe when you disable it, instead of honking 3 times, it could start the pedestrian alert sound instead.

Mike
I hate people that bitch about things without giving at least a solution to the problem ( me)
I love people that giving a solution to the problem without bitching about it ( you):)

I've turned off anything to do with a horn that I can
any work around for the triple honk would be awesome and no, my keys are not leaving my pocket

·
Registered
16,17 volt
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just unlock the door (clunk), hop in, push start button, press ebrake release button and drive away. No honking, no chimes, no muss no fuss.
wonder if I put it in neutral and put the e-brake on, if I could get out of the car running and not honking

1 - 18 of 18 Posts