GM Volt Forum banner

My 2016 Chevy HV battery had to be replaced...just 7700 miles and 5 months old

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  mrrajesh28 
#1 ·
I got onstar notification on saturday evening that my charging has been interrupted. car was parked in my garage. checking the car, i saw amber color lights!, the range was showing zero. i turned ON the car and tried to shift gear. it asked me to put it back to parking (P) . i couldnt move the car at all. i called onstar and asked to check the diagnostic tests. they ran and gave me the code P1E7F ( HV battery issue) and asked me to take the car to service center in a day. since dealership was already closed for the day, i had to wait until monday morning. got to tow the car to nearest chevy dealer. dealer ran some tests and told me that i had to replace teh HV battery..wow..i got the car in december and had around 7700 miles on it. they gave me loaner car for three days. i got my car back today. as per the work order, they replaced the HV battery.

here is the description:
"internal high voltage battery cell failure. verify code p1e7f-00 for cell 84 checked data in the bcm found. found 84 at 1.68 all other cells at 3.98. called (removed name) case # ( removed ) told they would ship a battery. install new high voltgae battery top off coolant bleed system program becm, hpcm2 and clear all codes and high voltage code, performed battery pacl, capacity learn road test ok at time"

anyone experienced similar problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a very rare occurance. If they have a battery pack in stock this should be an easy swap. That's the beauty of an EV. Tesla's routinely have their entire Drive Unit replaced and it's a plug and play operation.

Keep us posted.

#5 ·
One cell in the pack? Easy enough to swap out the pack to get you back on the road. GM can then replace the bad cell at its leisure and return the pack to inventory.

Not sure I'm happy with a single cell failure immobilizing the car. Limiting the range and speed, sure. But not immobilizing the car.

#14 ·
Not sure I'm happy with a single cell failure immobilizing the car. Limiting the range and speed, sure. But not immobilizing the car.
Yes. i was not happy either that. also, the car goes to service mode after which you cannot turn off car as well. you need to open the door after pressing the power button or hold it for a few seconds to power off that i didn't know before.

#7 ·
Keep us posted.
A single post by the OP. I seriously doubt that they'll 'Keep us posted'.

Might be a case of posting a code and making up the rest. Battery issues are so rare that I'm leaning this way. I also seriously doubt that the tech would be opening the battery and checking cell voltages. At this stage of the game, GM would want want the body in their morgue for full diagnosis.

#8 ·
Aren't these supposed to be modular? I wonder if the whole pack was replaced or just a module? This all starts to become a lot more relevant the day after the warranty expires on an EV.

#10 · (Edited)
That's what I was wondering as well. I would think that it would be preferable to replace only 1 of the 4 modules rather than the whole pack.

But from a quality control and logistical standpoint, GM might prefer to eat the cost of the whole pack rather than risk having a local dealer tech performing a service that is so rare and more complex than simply swapping the whole pack.

For reference, here's a video of a guy tearing down a Gen 1 battery pack. Not super complex, but not super simple either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00tTckGUv7I

#13 ·
OP here. sorry for late replies. since this was my first post, I had to wait for moderator to approve it, and I couldn't check the forum yesterday.

It is good to know that the single cell failures are very rare. Everything is working fine for past two days. GM and dealer were very helpful. they even promised to reimburse for the gas for these 3 days ( ~18$) that I haven't claimed yet!

After the new battery pack was installed ( before full charge), the range and % of charge it showed on dashboard was 36 miles. I picked up the car from dealer before it got fully charged. I thought they replaced with 2015 model battery. but the service advisor assured me that it is the new 2016 model battery pack. anyway, after the first full charge, everything (RANGE AND CAPACITY) showed correctly.

thanks for the community that I didn't know about until I got into this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.