GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently ran over a culvert on the way to work and blew out one of his rear tires on his 2015 Volt. His insurance (SF) insisted on towing him to the nearest Chevy dealer where they gouged him on 2 new tires. He had just started a new job and was panicked about being late, so they took advantage of him.

I didn't want to go through anything like that, so I have been looking for a spare and a jack to keep around just in case. Many thanks to the people who contributed to this excellent and helpful thread:

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48058-Volt-Spare-Tire-Guide

Turns out a local Volt owner I met on another forum had an extra spare from a Cadillac DTS and I had an extra part that he could use, so we traded. I had already ordered a Cruise jack off Ebay for $40, and today it arrived. It came with the jack, the crank, lug wrench, and 2 wheel chocks in a nice velcro case. The jack fits in the larger rectangular cubby under the cargo floor, and the tools wrapped up in the case fit nicely in the passenger side quarter panel compartment. My plan is to keep the tire in the garage most of the time, and only carry it in the Volt on trips. I think I can secure it to the LATCH fittings on the seat backs using a couple of ratchet straps.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,193 Posts
Nice find. Also make sure you carry a tire repair plug kit, a needle nose pliers, plastic tarp to kneel on, and wheel chocks.

I keep my donut spare, jacks (2), etc. in the garage where it can either be picked up and brought to the car, or I could have the car towed to my home. If I was going on a very long trip I'd consider putting it in the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice find. Also make sure you carry a tire repair plug kit, a needle nose pliers, plastic tarp to kneel on, and wheel chocks.
Two wheel chocks came with the Cruze jack in that nice pouch. I've got all that other stuff in the garage, I just need to transfer it to the Volt.

I keep my donut spare, jacks (2), etc. in the garage where it can either be picked up and brought to the car, or I could have the car towed to my home. If I was going on a very long trip I'd consider putting it in the cargo area.
That's exactly what I plan to do! Thanks again for the excellent spare tire thread!

Fun facts: The Continental donut tire says Made In Germany, the rim is Made In Brazil, and the jack is stamped Made in S. Africa! I guess GM is a true global company!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice job. This is on my short list of things to accomplish.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
This is a great addition to a Volt.

Take a close look at the top of your jack. I think you have the wrong kind and it will not match properly and securely to the jack point. I can't see the picture clearly enough to be sure, so maybe you are OK. The spare tire thread that you linked has more details and pictures. Maybe you can get or make some kind of adapter if necessary.

If you get a new jack, I recommend getting one that is raised using the lug wrench instead of a separate crank handle. That way you can power it with an electric drill.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Since I left the farm in 1964 and it's gravel roads, I've never had a flat (maybe we have better roads in Canada?) I did pick up a screw in one tire a few decades ago but didn't lose any air so was able to drive the 15 miles to get it repaired (I did have a space saver at the time which was never used). On the car club trip down to LA one year, one car did get a flat (big nail) on the #1 that joins #101 to #1 at the top. And that is with tires that were sometimes well over the best by age of 7 years. Carrying a spare has been a waste for 44 years. I do carry the goop and tire repair kit now as they weight nothing and take up little room.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
... Carrying a spare has been a waste for 44 years. ...
Wearing a seat belt is also a waste until maybe that day comes when it saves you. I really don't want to have my family in some remote area, possibly in hazardous weather, and get stranded because of something as fragile and easy to change as a tire.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is a great addition to a Volt.

Take a close look at the top of your jack. I think you have the wrong kind and it will not match properly and securely to the jack point. I can't see the picture clearly enough to be sure, so maybe you are OK. The spare tire thread that you linked has more details and pictures. Maybe you can get or make some kind of adapter if necessary.

If you get a new jack, I recommend getting one that is raised using the lug wrench instead of a separate crank handle. That way you can power it with an electric drill.
I'm pretty sure it's the right jack. Behind my front wheel is a notch, and in front of the rear wheel an identical notch. The "hump" in the top of the jack fits into that notch. Cruze has the same setup:

Oh, and today I took the jack and put a little grease on the lead screw and worked it back and forth through its entire range. I did it by chucking a big screw hook into my drill. It works great!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts