GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I buy another Volt? I really loved my car, so I think I will, but... wanted everyone's thoughts. If your Volt was in an accident and marked as a "total loss," would you go out and buy another one?

I'm eyeballing a 2012 with 52K miles on it that a local dealer has for 13K. Compared to other used Volts, this seems like a good deal, but according to KBB, that's way too high. Not sure if anyone has experience there.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My Volt has always been an interim car until more EVs/Plug-ins come out. If I wrecked it today I would buy a used i3 or another Volt, but I always wanted the i3, but bought the Volt because the price was much lower than the new i3.

That is just my personal opinion though, I do like the Volt and don't regret buying it and would consider another.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, I would buy another Volt. The reasons I would buy a Volt did not change just because I totalled my current one.

·
Registered
788 Posts
$15K for a 2012 with 52k miles on it seems a little high to me. Is it a base or a premium. Also depending on when it was made, you might be missing out on certain features (e.g. Hold mode didn't exist prior to 2013).

If my Volt was wrecked in an accident, I would absolutely buy another one. I'm just not so sure I would buy that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$15K for a 2012 with 52k miles on it seems a little high to me. Is it a base or a premium. Also depending on when it was made, you might be missing out on certain features (e.g. Hold mode didn't exist prior to 2013).

If my Volt was wrecked in an accident, I would absolutely buy another one. I'm just not so sure I would buy that one.
Sorry, it's 13K. It's a Premium, and I haven't found any in the area that come close. But correct, it's missing Hold Mode, Collision Avoidance, and Passive Lane Monitoring like mine had...

--

The reason I'm considering a used one instead of going out and buying a 2016 is because I have a deposit on the Model 3 and this is a holdover, at least for now.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I would not count on buying a model 3 any time soon, if ever. Personally, I will wait a long time and see how reliable the 3 is before even considering it. But you buy on impulse, so whatever.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not count on buying a model 3 any time soon, if ever. Personally, I will wait a long time and see how reliable the 3 is before even considering it. But you buy on impulse, so whatever.... :rolleyes:
I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I'm in no rush. That's another reason for getting a Volt. I can use the Volt for years to come until the 3 eventually gets here. I don't think reliability will be an issue. If it will, Tesla will fix it (they've got a good track record so far).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Get another Volt, the 13K price sounds close to fair. Find out where your wreck is going and buy a couple good wheels and tires from it. Spare wheels are very handy to have.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I'm in no rush. That's another reason for getting a Volt. I can use the Volt for years to come until the 3 eventually gets here. I don't think reliability will be an issue. If it will, Tesla will fix it (they've got a good track record so far).
That's fine, but don't go buying a car for dumping later. It could be a good long time before your dream bears fruit. Just sayin' - not trying to be harsh.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get another Volt, the 13K price sounds close to fair. Find out where your wreck is going and buy a couple good wheels and tires from it. Spare wheels are very handy to have.
I was under the impression those were owned by the insurance company after it's marked a total loss? That's a good idea.

That's fine, but don't go buying a car for dumping later. It could be a good long time before your dream bears fruit. Just sayin' - not trying to be harsh.
Oh nah, if I just wanted to buy a car to dump it off, I'd buy an old cheap Honda. I want something I'm going to enjoy for a while too, and I had very few complaints about my Volt. Good advice!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Oh nah, if I just wanted to buy a car to dump it off, I'd buy an old cheap Honda. I want something I'm going to enjoy for a while too, and I had very few complaints about my Volt. Good advice!
I have a '14 too. I'd miss the hold mode you won't have with a '12 among other things. Condolences on the poor selection in your region. I tried looking up Volts on CarGurus (which I recommended above) and it seems to be short-circuiting ATM.

'14s should be coming off lease in the coming weeks. Maybe you'll get lucky soon!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'd buy another Volt, unless the Bolt has been around a while and no longer commanding MSRP.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I would be my 2011 again in a heartbeat, even with its 80k miles... Yes, it may be missing a few of the newer model bells and whistles, but it's been solid as a rock and a joy to drive. Of course, the sell price is also a factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a '14 too. I'd miss the hold mode you won't have with a '12 among other things. Condolences on the poor selection in your region. I tried looking up Volts on CarGurus (which I recommended above) and it seems to be short-circuiting ATM.

'14s should be coming off lease in the coming weeks. Maybe you'll get lucky soon!
They have a few 14s available in my area, but they are super over KBB price (I haven't found one for less than 19K around here!). I'll check out CarGurus later.

My 2012 was totalled December 2015. I bought a 2015 in January. I am very happy with my decision.

BTW no one was hurt.
So you speak from experience here... right on.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
They have a few 14s available in my area, but they are super over KBB price (I haven't found one for less than 19K around here!). I'll check out CarGurus later.
Check out NADA guide prices. I've heard they are more reliable than KBB (and for used cars black book is supposed to be the better of the two Kelley books).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out NADA guide prices. I've heard they are more reliable than KBB (and for used cars black book is supposed to be the better of the two Kelley books).
Oh good, this makes me feel better. Shows a Premium trim 2014 Volt right around 13K for "clean retail" and shows my totaled Volt a lot lower than what insurance paid me.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If my volt were totalled, I'd be looking for a new or slightly used 2014 ELR or a heavily discounted 2016 ELR. I wanted an ELR in the fall of 2013, but the $75K Introductory MSRP caused me to buy a volt a week after the price announcement. I regret not being more patient as just like the Volt, the ELR prices plummeted in 2015, two years after introduction.

My other thought is to sell my fleet of cars, the camper, most of my tractors, and anything that isn't bolted down and go all in on a Model S. The only thing is I can't stand the thought of spending that much on any car.

Not on the list are the i3 (butt ugly imho), leaf, Hyundai, or a prius. An i8 or Volvo PHEV would be nice, but at that price, I might as well get a Telsa (or two Teslas).

One more vehicle on the radar, the exact opposite of the volt, would be a brand new subyukonade. (Suburban, Yukon, or Escalade). I need to tow big things periodically and the 95 suburban needs to eventually be replaced. Instead of having separate cars for different purposes, just getting one that does all we need might be a direction I take, especially since my commute will change at the end of the year with a job change.

Is it wrong to hope to be Tboned so I can go car shopping?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check Carvana too. They have several 2014's (and lots of 2013's) all under $18k.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts