GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! The dealer has had my car for a week or so now. About a month ago, with 3/4 a tank of gas it ran out of battery on my way home and didn’t switch to gas. It would not turn on or switch to hold mode or anything. I had to coast to the side of the freeway. I towed it to the dealer who replaced the 12 volt battery and was very surprised that everything was fixed. On the way home I tried switching it back and forth to hold mode and everything seemed fine, so I didn’t think about it again. I mainly just drive my volt on electric, so two weeks later, when I had to drive further than normal, once again, I was a few miles from home when it should have switched over to gas and then, just didn’t. Once again, I had to coast to the side of the freeway. In both instances the car’s check engine light did not come on until I was having to coast to the side of the road. Both times it would not restart. I even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the 12 volt. The second time I towed it to a different dealer because my roadside wouldn’t cover the distance to the dealer I normally go to. The dealer I had it towed to however, said that they wouldn’t even be able to LOOK at it for 5 weeks. So, I called my original dealer and he suggested I get them to charge the car so i could drive it to them. The dealer refused to charge my car stating multiple times that based on the error messages, charging it would not make a difference. I basically had to threaten them into plugging it in. When they did plug it in, apparently when they left for the evening, it only had 5miles of charge, but the next morning, it had a full charge and although the engine light was still on and it wouldn’t switch to gas, it drive fine on electric and got me to my dealer. Here’s where things get weird... my dealer drove it until the charge ran out and the car did the same thing. They sent the info to GM. Then, they put some charge in it again to see if it did it again and it had fixed itself. They keep puttin gjust enough charge in it to test it and it seems to be fine now. I mentioned that maybe it only does it if the gas hasn’t been used for a few weeks as I will often go a couple weeks without using gas. Regardless, the car is now saying that nothing is wrong but they are still testing it because they don’t want to give it back to me and have me get stranded again. I appreciate them, but am afraid they are going to end up just having to give my car back and the failure won’t actually happen again until I haven’t switched to gas for a week or more and I’ll be stranded again. Meanwhile, my extended warranty only covers a rental car once the problem has been diagnosed... the dealer has been kind enough to let me use a courtesy vehicle in the mean time, but I’m not allowed to take it out of state even though I have a trip planned next weekend. Of course, I’d hate to get my car back and get stranded out of state! Any insight would be appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Something is wrong and it's not going to fix itself. The good thing is they are at least trying to fix it like a good dealership should. What I don't know is why they aren't getting the people at GM involved in this difficult diagnosis and getter done. That's what the experts at GM should be doing. If they can't help over the wire, send out an expert technician and do it hands on with the local guy looking over his shoulder gaining valuable knowledge. At least this is the perfect world in which I wish to live.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We'd probably need the engine codes to say more, but I know theres at least one No-Start Condition bug in earlier engine controller software so it may simply need an update.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Took about a week to diagnose since they had to get GM involved. They ended up replacing a portion of the HV battery.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
and popping open the hood did not start the ICE ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The dealer has been working with GM, I was just getting impatient and thought I’d see if there were any thoughts on the issue here. I actually had to have my entire instrument cluster replaced a few months ago, so although I seriously love this car, I’m glad about having purchased an extra warranty! This issue will be covered by GM, and it looks like they will be replacing a portion of the battery-

·
Registered
188 Posts
The battery is covered to 100,000-150,00 miles depending on what state you live in. Extended warranty doesn't apply here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts