GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Volt in Aug of 2012 to use as a short range commuter and for short trips to the mall and for getting groceries. It replaced an SUV that I was using for the same purpose. I remember doing all the math to see if it would save money and whether I should lease or buy and all of that seems so long ago now.

So, 4 years later, the car is paid for, I only drive about 7000 miles per year (about 95% electric) and my energy cost per day is easily less than a $1.00. Most of my gas usage, which is in the winter, is used as ERDTT cycles to keep me warm. Periodically, do I run out of battery and when I do, I never worry about it and just run on gas.

In 4 years I have had three oil changes ( a year to go until the next one ), a couple of tire rotations and I replaced the stock tires with Pirelli's, mainly due to the noisy stock tires and that they were cracking quite a bit. That was the biggest annoyance for me. The maintenance on my SUV would likely have been similar during the 4 year period.

I am in Canada and the cost of gas is pretty steep at around $4.50 per CDN gallon (about a buck a liter). Based on about 400 gallons of gas used in the SUV to go the same distance as the Volt, the energy cost would have been about $1800. I figure the net difference between the SUV and the Volt to be about $1500 per year or about $6000 over the 4 years that can be considered energy savings.

With the low mileage driven over the past 4 years and that the cost of gas has fallen from previous highs, I am not significantly ahead or behind considering the higher cost of the volt initially. Had I driven more miles, the numbers would be better but at this point, it is about a wash. Of course, as each year goes by, I will be gaining the $1500 or so in savings and likely will save even more on maintenance so all is not lost. It essentially has taken about a year longer then I figured it would take to be in this position.

So, aside from the money aspect, I simply love the Volt. What a great car. I enjoy driving it every day, I would have no trouble using this car as my only car and this is the first car in over 25 years that I have cared to own longer than 3 years.

I plan on keeping this Volt for many more years as I think it will last quite some time and with little maintenance as well.

I am satisfied with my purchase decision.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My Volt has only 2,5 years but I love it like in the first day. I still don't pass any occasion to drive it even if it's for a 4 km round trip run to the store. It is THIS fun to drive. A great car no matter the roads (city or highway), a tank in the snow and peppy when needed.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My only real concern is how the Volt ages with all the little sensors, gizmos, and such, for such a complicated car. Of course the Voltec warranty alleviates some of that concern, but it is a car that I can see having more problems with age than your normal ICE car.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My only real concern is how the Volt ages with all the little sensors, gizmos, and such, for such a complicated car. Of course the Voltec warranty alleviates some of that concern, but it is a car that I can see having more problems with age than your normal ICE car.
Not more than a nowadays gas car with all the sensors, gizmos and such, IMHO. Unless we are talking about a bare bones Civic or Hyunday.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've had my loaded '12 for less than 1.5 years and I've been looking for a replacement for most of the last year. Don't get me wrong, I'd be a LOT more satisfied if I had waited until I found a Volt with "hold" mode. Of course my wife would kill be if I did bring one home....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had my loaded '12 for less than 1.5 years and I've been looking for a replacement for most of the last year. Don't get me wrong, I'd be a LOT more satisfied if I had waited until I found a Volt with "hold" mode. Of course my wife would kill be if I did bring one home....
New to Forum, bought a 2013 with 30K and average lifetime mpg = 186. Have put 10K on it and so very happy.

I use the hold button every drive - did the 2012s not have one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts