GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pic of my ride since I have had it since about May 2014. I have put on about 16k miles on it since then and still love it.

- Painted lower plastics (front/sides/rear)
- Removed lower front lip
- Plasti Dip wheels (anthracite)
- Plasti Dip grill and emblems
- Moritmoto HID ballast and XB35 5000k bulbs (http://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-9006-Xenon-Bulbs-5000K/dp/B00IVVI048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423440511&sr=8-1&keywords=morimoto+hid+xb9006)
- VLEDS Triton V3 switchback front turnsignals Add Dual Filament Base Adapter (Parking/Turn) (http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/switchback/v3-wa-5k.html)
- LED license plate and interior bulbs 5k white, also used in rear cargo and plenty bright (http://www.amazon.com/5630-Interior-Dome-Light-Bulb/dp/B00GXO3IUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423439850&sr=1-1&keywords=2x+T10+W5w+194+168+5630+6+SMD+LED+Interior+Dome+Light+Bulb+New)
- LED Map lights in red (less strain in the dark) (http://www.amazon.com/Degree-T10-Wedge-Interior-Dashboard/dp/B00KZ2YBRG/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423439917&sr=1-18
- LED reverse light (not these exact ones but similar http://www.amazon.com/3057-3157-Projection-Backup-Reverse/dp/B00N6AZUD8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423440200&sr=1-1&keywords=3157+led+siriusled)
- MY13+ center armrest
- Carbon Fiber rear seat filler panel
- Carbon Fiber hatch cover
- Carbon Fiber door pillar cover
- Black vinyl over inner rear tail light

Exterior

Reverse Light

Red Interior Light

White Interior Light

Outside at Night with Interior Lights On

Carbon Fiber Cargo Cover

Carbon Fiber Seat Filler

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
She's a beauty. I wondered what red dome lights would look like but the wife would not be happy if I did that.

Time for some 5% tint in the back yet?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a beauty. I wondered what red dome lights would look like but the wife would not be happy if I did that.

Time for some 5% tint in the back yet?
Mine isn't a fan but then again she isn't in it much.

Front doors are legal for AL and the rears and hatch are just a step darker. I would go darker but it isn't bad and I have already had a LEO tell it was too dark.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice. I have the 2013 in Summer White and made the same decision as many to paint the lower rockers. For the money it is the #1 upgrade all Volt owners should consider for looks and curb appeal. Looks like they've fixed this in the G2 from what I can see. I have not upgraded the rims and kept the yellow bowtie. I like the added contrast but I'm glad to see someone go with black on both to get a feel for what it looks like. Not bad...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had an itch to do some of your mods. To be clear:
You painted the lower plastic. Exactly what paint please? All parts removed for paint? Some? None?
Front grill plasti dipped. Exactly what plasti dip please? All parts removed for dip? Some? None?
Your work really caught my attention.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had an itch to do some of your mods. To be clear:
You painted the lower plastic. Exactly what paint please? All parts removed for paint? Some? None?
Front grill plasti dipped. Exactly what plasti dip please? All parts removed for dip? Some? None?
Your work really caught my attention.
I had the lower plastic prof painted by my guy who has done all my other more customized cars.

As for the plati dip. Just tape off 6in or so around and up to the edge or so of what you will paint. Spray about 5 coats and while still wet remove the tape. Once dried peel any remaining excess and it will "cut" at the grooves all by itself. Can be done in about an hour tops.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly what plasti dip please?
Click my signature for a link. I did the same a while back.

Stormtrooper Edition!
Bingo, I was searching for that in the back of my mind......
The plasti dip was just the standard matte black in a spray can for the grill and emblems. Anthracite in spray can for the wheels.

While not a Stars Wars fun I agree. But really I like white cars with black namely carbon fiber accents. I have had 2 other look similar. My WRX and my E55 AMG.

I will put some up of those later if you wish.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Damn that looks awesome. I have diamond white tri coat and would love to paint the lower rockers. Just dont want to pay a lot for it. What did they charge you that?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I wondered what red dome lights would look like but the wife would not be happy if I did that.
Really? So how does your red dome light look? You did change it, right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you like your LED reverse lights? Do they provide more light than stock? Which light/brand/number did you use?
I like them as it ties it all together. Way more light output. I don't recall the brand but similar to what I posted in the OP. I will see if I can better tell you as I got them from a member here

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you like your LED reverse lights? Do they provide more light than stock? Which light/brand/number did you use?
Along with that, I've read some reports of extra bright reverse lights giving the backup camera trouble. Have you noticed anything like this?
My rear cam needs to be replaced as it's not as good as the one on our black Volt. Just haven't taken to the dealer to be replaced but should be fine. I have no interference in the signal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn that looks awesome. I have diamond white tri coat and would love to paint the lower rockers. Just dont want to pay a lot for it. What did they charge you that?
Cost was more than I expected around $900 for all front sides and back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wondered what red dome lights would look like but the wife would not be happy if I did that.
Really? So how does your red dome light look? You did change it, right?
I think they are great. Not blinded when I turn them on in the dark and no adj back to darkness when turned off. They provide plenty of light to do anything or look for anything dropped in the floor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts