GM Volt Forum banner

My 2012 Chevy Volt lease is almost over

3491 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  USe-car
Sad to say that I have purchased my replacement vehicle already even though my lease doesn't get turned In for a few more months. Found an amazing certified pre-owned Mercedes E350 4matic Coupe. I snatched it up right away. I realized today when I was driving the Benz that I will definitely miss my Volt with instant torque.

I thought that the Gen 2 Volt would be available in the Midwest by now. But since it is not, I made the decision to go back to a luxury ice vehicle.

I have been an extreme advocate for the Volt! People that know me get tired of hearing about it. But it is still frustrating that people don't see it for the amazing engineering marvel that it is. I actually had 3 different people ask me what I was going to do with my Prius? Really?!?

Before I bought my new car this week, I drove a brand new 2014 Cadillac ELR. I really liked the vehicle but found it incredibly difficult to enter and exit the back seat. The best deal was about $24k off the list price of $78k. It hasd some really nice upgrades over the Volt, including power seats.

I just decided that since they are already taking that much off the list price, but knowing what the residual is on my Volt and also what I could buy a 2012 with 33,000 miles for just makes me nervous to pull the trigger.

I can honestly say that my Volt has been a Great Vehicle!!

I hope the Gen 2 Volt s a home run and perhaps in a few years when I am ready to get my next car, the new Volt will be at the top of my list.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
My lease is almost up on my 2012 Volt, Base model. I have another car - a Pontiac Solstice GXP, so I have something to tide me over until the 2016 Volt is available. I too would like more luxury in a car - but the ELR costs too much, but I just can't bring myself to make a car payment and gas payments. I drive almost 84% EV wight the Volt and only have used 99.9 gallons of gas in my Volt over the three years I've had it.

Next Friday I will turn my Volt in, I will be going to the gas station as often as I do now - but not just for picking up something to drink or snacks - I will have to go to those pump thingy's for awhile and fill up my vehicle - it will be an odd weekly ritual, that was well, only about once every three months or so for the past three years. ARRRRGGGGG!

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I don't have to turn in my 2013MY Volt until June of next year, but I will probably be getting an ICE vehicle too. I am a Realtor and though it is possible to put clients in the back seat of my car, it isn't comfortable if either of them are tall. I really like my Volt, other than the tiny backseats it has very few shortcomings.
Solid, fun to drive and I use less than a gallon of gasoline a month.

· Registered
4,107 Posts
I don't have to turn in my 2013MY Volt until June of next year, but I will probably be getting an ICE vehicle too. I am a Realtor and though it is possible to put clients in the back seat of my car, it isn't comfortable if either of them are tall. I really like my Volt, other than the tiny backseats it has very few shortcomings.
I probably shouldn't be sexist a la Environmental, but let the little lady ride in the back seat and station the man-of-the-house in the front passenger's seat. Impress your clients with your environmental concern by driving them in the Volt. 8^) Heck, you might even convince some to go out and buy themselves a Volt!

· Registered
334 Posts
I am also a Realtor, and I currently am driving my second Volt. Before I got the first one, I considered the size of the back seat but then decided that over the course of a year I really only have customers in my car ten times at most. Most of my customers drive their own vehicles to meet me when I am showing homes or condos. Only out-of-town buyers are likely to ride with me.

As soon as I got my first Volt, I was in for a big surprise. Within the first couple of weeks I had customers in the car. In both cases, the husband was 6'2"" or more, and he sat in the front passenger seat. The wife sat behind me in the back seat and was very comfortable. Also in both cases, I made a point to apologize for the small interior of the car. The response was the same: "Don't worry, we have plenty of room and are perfectly comfortable. This is our first time riding in an electric car, and we think it's pretty cool." Over the next two years, I got similar comments from other buyers.

A few months before my lease was up, I began shopping for something to replace the Volt. I drove the BMW 3 and 5 Series, Cadillac ATS, Honda Accord Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ hybrid (I might still buy one of these), Audi A4, and what I thought would be the ultimate Realtor car, the Tesla Model S. Of course, I would love to own a Model S, but I was surprised to find that the access to the rear seat is actually more difficult than it is in the Volt!

I really liked several of the cars that I tested, but realized that I enjoy driving the Volt more. In addition, the Volt story is a good conversation starter with customers. I bought my second volt instead of leasing as I did the first time, and I'm happy with my decision. Like you, I'm also using less than a gallon a month on average.

· Registered
2,715 Posts
bjakerjonathan, that is how I have handled it but I am 6'4" and if the client is a big guy, it doesn't matter if his wife is petite, I have to suck up the seat all the way to the steering wheel and have the little woman sit behind me! LOL!
Charlie, I live in Arlington which is a really compact market and I tend to drive my clients around a lot more than some other Realtors. I like to have them with me to talk about the properties and the market, and also to listen to what they are saying when I am not talking. I have a spiel "What are your two favorite houses so far, and why do you like them?" and it works for me to ask them this every two or 3 houses. I just start to say it, they finish the question for me and then they talk about their favorites all the way to the next house.
I have friends that are Realtors that drive the regular Fusion, the MKZ hybrid and the A4 and I like all 3 cars though the Fusion Energi may end up being the car I choose, though the Fusion/MKZ hybrids are nice to drive too. Just not as nice as the Volt, I will miss getting 46 miles of AER most months. The A4 is fun to drive but it feels even smaller than my Volt.
I have considered getting an older CTS-V and a used Volt but the CTS-V is probably a bad choice, maybe I should look at a used Volt and CTS.
But the Ford Energi/MKZ hybrid are probably at the top of my list right now. And then maybe buy another 10 year old 350Z for play days.

I probably shouldn't be sexist a la Environmental, but let the little lady ride in the back seat and station the man-of-the-house in the front passenger's seat. Impress your clients with your environmental concern by driving them in the Volt. 8^) Heck, you might even convince some to go out and buy themselves a Volt!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ziv and Charlie01 I am also in real estate! I manage the office and really do not sell other than family and close friends. The Volt has been a practical choice for me. I have only used 160 gallons of gas over three years. With The winters we have had the last two years both being way below zero for very long stretches at a time, that is when my mileage would suffer. I am still averaging about 216 mpg for the life of the car with about 33,000 miles.

I work in a high-end market and with the comments that I have gotten about my Volt being a Prius, I have to believe that people do. To understand the Volt still at all!

My decision to go to a Mercedes Benz actually came out of the thought that it is unfortunately about image. I still have my Volt (we will be a 4 car family with 2 drivers for the next month or so), the lease will,be up soon. I took the Benz out and have to say as much as I like it, I miss the instant torque of my Volt. My personal trainer actually said when he saw my new car that it was more in line with what he thought I would be driving as a real estate professional.

Today I had the convertible out and passed 7 different Volt's on my 6 mile drive home. I find myself actually very sad to be leaving the Volt family. I have a strong suspicion that a PEV or possibly EV will be in my future.

Jjohn90 I will stay on the forum, I can't wait to hear more about the Gen 2 Volt.

· Registered
724 Posts
Ziv and Charlie01 I am also in real estate! I manage the office and really do not sell other than family and close friends.
I work in a high-end market
My decision to go to a Mercedes Benz actually came out of the thought that it is unfortunately about image. much as I like it, I miss the instant torque of my Volt. My personal trainer actually said when he saw my new car that it was more in line with what he thought I would be driving as a real estate professional.
When we were looking for a house, I drove by the real estate office, saw who drove a Cadillac, and asked specifically for that realtor. I support those who also support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.