GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys my 1st Volt. I pick this over the tesla because its a lot cheaper and can go farther with both gas and eletric.

I just used my 2017 for an entire day and hers my review. I have every option including the pearl color on this car except the expensive wheel option. I have a 2015 forster xt..turbo 250hp and 250tq.

Pro.

The ride is very comfy for a compact car. Not too loud inside
Up close the car looks really nice.
Space just feel right. Feels like my bmw 3 series.
On electric sport mode the car pick up is almost as fast as a tesla model s
The car feels much faster than a 150hp car. Its actually feel faster than my turbo forester
No engine noise on electric is weird but in a good way
The standard premier model wheels are actually nice.
The LED charger port option is worth the $ because you can tell its charging.
The displays are responsive and looks cool.
You actually look more cool than those rich guys with the everywhere model s because the volt is so rare..lol

Now the Cons

The charging keep reset back to 8amp even if i set it to 12amp
Usb does not work
Interior finishes not lining up
Have to slam the front hood and trunk lid to close it tightly.
The dash is too simple compare to a tesla
The high brake pedal need to get use to
The rear trunk glass has a dizzy wave effect
The optional illuminated cupholder and footwell led is a waste of $.not bright
Charging time is the worst if you only have the standard charger. On 12 amp it took exactly 13hrs.
On sport mode the battery drain really fast. 40miles = more like 14miles.
The L shift is pointless. It hold and slow down the car to generate more power. But you are slowing down. Pointless
Every moment i almost ran out of electric power I regret that i didnt get the tesla. But than i think about the price than i get back to neutral
Driving on gas really sucks. Yes you can hear the hummmm sound andnit does feel slower
I cant find an adaptor to charge on tesla charger

What I wish and will get

Am 100% sure am getting the fast charger thing install. It takes too long of a charge to go 50 miles that actually maybe really maybe is 30 miles the way i drive

I wish in 2020 they will make one that can go on electric atleast 100mile+. After a short day of driving around in brooklyn. Very light local and highway drive. I ended up with only 4 miles left on electric.

I wish they use the sports mode as the new minimum standard for speed for future model

I will definately install wheel spacers to make the stand look more wider. The current wheel looks too recess inside the wheel well.

Thats that. Very 1st day. Am i happy yes. Do i still want a tesla yes....mainly because of the electric range 200 vs 50 miles.
The porpose of the volt with gas is to make sure people have no range anxiety but after one day i developed an gas engine will turn on soon anxiety issue. Entire moment am monitoring the power level like a astronaut. I tried very hard to not let the engine turn on like it will kid children.......ahhh only if it can go 100miles

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The only comment that I have is get this fixed by the dealer. Both the hood and the trunk should close by just dropping them from about 8 inches. DO NOT push the hood closed!!! It is made of aluminum and is easily dented by a hand pushing it closed.

Oh yea, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Volt/EV community!

Sport mode increases the throttle response, which means more power is expended to get up to the same speed as normal mode does. This has a significant impact on the effective range. As for charging. The included 120v Level 1 charger is the most basic charger you can possibly buy. Its intended purpose is to be a portable charger used for convenience/emergencies. A level 2 (240v) charger cuts the charging times down to 5-6hrs. Though for most peoples commutes, they do not have to charge their Volt from 0% battery everyday. If you frequently drive long distances, I would highly recommend getting a level 2 charger installed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hope you are enjoying your new Volt. However, there are a couple of things you will find out as you learn more about it.

1. Don't pick on a Tesla for a drag race---even the S85 that I owned would embarrass the Volt. But you didn't buy it for that, right?

2. The part of the dash that sits in front of you provides similar information as the Tesla dash and you can reconfigure it to your needs like the Tesla. It may fall a little short on Gizmos on the center screen but everything you really need is there. I think the gen 2 volt has the proper number of touch screen controls and knobs and buttons. There are some things on the Tesla that would be nice to access with a nonexistent knob.

3. Low range isn't really low range. It changes the amount of regeneration you receive when you release the accelerator pedal. You will find in some driving situations you might actually like to leave the selector in "L".

4. If the hatch or hood are closing hard you may want to look at the height of them in relation to the body panels. On my 2017, the rear hatch was hard to close and set a little higher then the sheet metal. There is an adjuster on each side of the hatch that can be turned in or out by hand to adjust the panel. Turning those adjusters in solved the closing problem. Although I never noticed it on the Volt, the Tesla is very sensitive to the adjustment of the bumpers on the hatch. Too loose and the hatch will move up and down a little bit going over a bumpy road. It then acts like a piston changing the pressure inside the car which causes a very low frequency vibration that really feels weird.

5. To me the Volt and the Tesla have two different purposes. Maybe it will blur a little bit with the Model 3 but I never really enjoyed the Tesla as an urban vehicle because of it's size. The Volt with it's smaller size and it's 50+ mile battery range is fine for a urban/suburban vehicle. The Tesla model S really shines on the highway but very long trips requiring multiple Supercharger stops are a pain that you still will never suffer in the Volt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Set a home location in the charging settings. You can then set "location based charging" and set the "home" location to always use 12A. But yes, L2 is the way to go.

Steve

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

Now the Cons

Look up 'location based charging' to change the default to 12 amps.

Usb does not work
Should work great. If not, see your dealer.

See your dealer.

See your dealer.

... and the car is half the price of a Tesla.

Or drive in "L" so you don't need to use the brake pedal as often.

See your dealer if it is defective.

Probably true.

Charging time is the worst if you only have the standard charger. On 12 amp it took exactly 13hrs.
Recommend 240v charging.

Wow!

The L shift is pointless. It hold and slow down the car to generate more power. But you are slowing down. Pointless
It is actually very useful when driving around residential areas and in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The illuminated lights can be set brighter by the roller knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, along with the rest of the dash and display brightness.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I agree the brake and dead pedal(s) sit higher than the Gen I and are taking some time getting used too. My USB ports work, I tested Apple CarPlay before I drove off the lot. The view our the back hatch while not PERFECT isn't all Fun House distorted as many are reporting. Not sure but maybe GM had a bad batch. I'd compare it to other Gen II on the dealers lot.

Other wise my only complaints are:

1. You removed the Homelink buttons - GM what were you thinking?
2. Still NO Auto Up on ALL the windows - GM what were you thinking?

Other than that my 2017 Volt is friggin fantastic. When I got in my car this morning to come to work my GOM read 65 miles. That is nuts. I bet I see 70 when I can stop using AC this fall and my Volt is my DD with a 22 mile r/t commute.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Hi Guys my 1st Volt. I pick this over the tesla because its a lot cheaper and can go farther with both gas and eletric.

I just used my 2017 for an entire day and hers my review. I have every option including the pearl color on this car except the expensive wheel option. I have a 2015 forster xt..turbo 250hp and 250tq.

Pro.

The ride is very comfy for a compact car. Not too loud inside
Up close the car looks really nice.
Space just feel right. Feels like my bmw 3 series.
The car feels much faster than a 150hp car. Its actually feel faster than my turbo forester
No engine noise on electric is weird but in a good way
The standard premier model wheels are actually nice.
The LED charger port option is worth the $ because you can tell its charging.
The displays are responsive and looks cool.
You actually look more cool than those rich guys with the everywhere model s because the volt is so rare..lol

Now the Cons

Usb does not work
Every moment i almost ran out of electric power I regret that i didnt get the tesla. But than i think about the price than i get back to neutral
Driving on gas really sucks. Yes you can hear the hummmm sound andnit does feel slower
I cant find an adaptor to charge on tesla charger

What I wish and will get

Am 100% sure am getting the fast charger thing install. It takes too long of a charge to go 50 miles that actually maybe really maybe is 30 miles the way i drive

I wish in 2020 they will make one that can go on electric atleast 100mile+. After a short day of driving around in brooklyn. Very light local and highway drive. I ended up with only 4 miles left on electric.

I wish they use the sports mode as the new minimum standard for speed for future model

I will definately install wheel spacers to make the stand look more wider. The current wheel looks too recess inside the wheel well.

Thats that. Very 1st day. Am i happy yes. Do i still want a tesla yes....mainly because of the electric range 200 vs 50 miles.
The porpose of the volt with gas is to make sure people have no range anxiety but after one day i developed an gas engine will turn on soon anxiety issue. Entire moment am monitoring the power level like a astronaut. I tried very hard to not let the engine turn on like it will kid children.......ahhh only if it can go 100miles
About the brake pedal...you know there's a regen paddle, right? Left side of steering wheel on the backside. While it can't replace the brake pedal, using the regen paddle to slow down can probably cover a good chunk of braking events, except hard stops and coming to a complete stop (it will slow to down to about 2 mph).

About L, I find it handy in stop and go traffic. But I mainly use it to help slow the car down when approaching a light.

The Volt's wheels are recessed in the wells on purpose to reduce drag/increase efficiency, so that's why they may look "too tucked in".

A Tesla costs easily twice as much as a Volt....they are totally different class vehicles. So whenever you have the "wish I had a Tesla" thoughts, think about how much less the monthly payment is on your Volt and how much beer than can buy every month!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If the Volt was simply built to the same tolerances as many of Chevy's competitors, some of these problems would simply not exist. For whatever reason, GM just cannot seem to get its act together with fit and finish, on the Volt and other models of theirs. The Cadillac CT6 is also built at Hammtramck (like the Volt) and it's had its share of issues, too, especially unacceptable for a Cadillac. I don't know where exactly the system falls short, whether in engineering the car, engineering the production line, the workers, management, the inspection process, or what, but IMO GM still has a noticeable quality gap to close and they don't seem to be hot on the job.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If the Volt was simply built to the same tolerances as many of Chevy's competitors, some of these problems would simply not exist. For whatever reason, GM just cannot seem to get its act together with fit and finish, on the Volt and other models of theirs. The Cadillac CT6 is also built at Hammtramck (like the Volt) and it's had its share of issues, too, especially unacceptable for a Cadillac. I don't know where exactly the system falls short, whether in engineering the car, engineering the production line, the workers, management, the inspection process, or what, but IMO GM still has a noticeable quality gap to close and they don't seem to be hot on the job.
Fit and finish issues aren't really a GM-specific thing. Just look at the Model X....tons of "fit and finish problem" posts on the Tesla owners forum. At least with a Volt, you'll never have a problem of not being able to drive because the damn doors don't close!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
No it isn't.

But enjoy thinking that it is if it makes you happy. Just don't try to beat a Tesla off the line or you may suffer a psychological collapse when you see just how much faster any Tesla actually is than your Volt.

Driving on gas really sucks. Yes you can hear the hummmm sound and it does feel slower
It's actually faster when the gas is assisting propulsion, but I agree the noise is disappointing. Still, it takes 50 miles to get to that hummmm.

Other wise my only complaints are:

1. You removed the Homelink buttons - GM what were you thinking?
2. Still NO Auto Up on ALL the windows - GM what were you thinking?
Amen. And don't forget #3: You didn't add a setting to disable the infuriating triple honk - GM what were you thinking?!

Fit and finish issues aren't really a GM-specific thing. Just look at the Model X....tons of "fit and finish problem" posts on the Tesla owners forum. At least with a Volt, you'll never have a problem of not being able to drive because the damn doors don't close!
At least with a Tesla most problems will be fixed with over-the-air updates that never require one to go to a service center. And the Tesla's software and functionality get continually better over time, unlike GM cars that have pretty much the same functionality on the last day as they did on the first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMHO...Be careful with the wheel spacers. The additional offset can change emergency handling in a way you don't expect, and it can change how much "pull-to-the-side" you get when one side of the car is on a more slippery surface and you're stopping fast enough for ABS to activate.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
At least with a Tesla most problems will be fixed with over-the-air updates that never require one to go to a service center. And the Tesla's software and functionality get continually better over time, unlike GM cars that have pretty much the same functionality on the last day as they did on the first.
There are cases of X owners that have had the door issues that OTA updates couldn't fix and needed SEVERAL SC visits to fix the problems. I believe a few are even pursuing lemon law cases.....over freaking doors! Wrap your head around that one for a moment.

·
Registered
718 Posts
In addition to location base charging (to have the 12 amp setting stick), the EVSE can actually be plugged in a 240V outlet with the proper adapter (Forum Thread on the subject: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-Gen2-Volt-EVSE-conversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE! ). So if you install a 240V outlet and make yourself an adapter, you can charge in half the time it takes at 12Amp x 120V (About 5.5 hours)

The L shift is pointless.
L allows you to get the same behavior as a strong engine brake. As you lift your foot off the accelerator the car slows down more, allowing you to regulate your speed just with the accelerator. Many people enjoy that mode, some (like me) even only drive in that mode. But this is a personal comfort thing.
If you like to experiment with new things, try it for a few weeks (so your leg gets use to finely control the lift), then go back to not using it and decide for yourself :)

One last note: Even in Normal mode (not sport), if you floor the accelerator you will get the same max power as in Sports mode. This allows you to use that max power only when you really need it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
A few comments,

1) Have a 240V EVSE installed, I have the Clipper Creek HCS40. The EVSE is a little less than $600 and it will probably cost you about $300 to have an electrician install it. However there is a 30% Federal tax credit which helps a lot. The 240V EVSE will reduce charging times to 4.5 hours and more importantly it's much more convenient because the cable is just hanging on the holster on the wall. The 8A default is there because they don't want to burn your house down. Most circuits are 15A but unless you have a dedicated line chances are there are other loads on it so they pick 8A which will will be less likely to trip the breaker than 12A. It makes no sense to run a dedicated 120V line because it will cost just as much as a 240V line, so you might as well install a 240V EVSE.

2) L mode is great when you are driving down mountains. I use it when I'm in Vermont or parts of New Hampshire. When you are going down hill L mode slows the car just the right amount without having to touch the brake, it's much much better then riding the brake in an ISE car. Don't use L mode on highways or on flat ground, you'll find that normal mode is better under those conditions. When you are driving on highways and regular roads use the Regen paddles for most of your braking. It's a little odd at first but you will adapt in a few weeks. Regen braking recovers energy and doesn't put any wear on your brakes. I found it took about a month before the regen paddles became instinctive. There is a short period when your reaction time suffers because your brain hasn't learned when to use the regen brake and when to use the regular brake. I worried about this at first because braking is something you don't want to think about, it has to be automatic. However I found that I adapted in a few weeks so that now there is no hesitation, I use the regen paddles for off ramps and stop signs and I use the regular brakes to complete slow stops and for hard stops. The brake peddle does blended braking, i.e. it's partially regenerative and partially friction brakes, but there is no way to know when it's in regen, friction or blended mode, whereas the regen paddles guarantee that you are doing regen braking.

3) Use Normal mode not Sport. The performance in Normal mode is good enough and it's more efficient. Sport Mode is there to sell the car because it gives you more of a thrill, but in ordinary driving it's unnecessary. The range of the battery is highly dependent on speed and topography. The best I've done is 63 miles on a full charge, the worst is 49 miles (highway driving at 80).

4) Hold mode is useful for long trips. When I'm doing a long trip, I do lots of day trips of 250 miles or more, I use hold on the highway on the way up and then switch ot Normal when I get off of the highway at the destination.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts