GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd post a possible solution for those interested in a screen for the radiator air intake. The hexagonal holes in the stainless steel screen I used are 5/16" high by 3/8" wide. The screen may stop some rocks and pebbles, or at least slow them down enough to hopefully prevent a radiator puncture. It won't stop large debris.

DSC07516.jpg DSC07515.jpg DSC07509.jpg DSC07506.jpg DSC07518.jpg

The finished grill is actually curved outward rather than flat. This helps it fit the vertical space, wrap from left to right, and adds a bit of strength. Two white plastic wire ties - one at each end- wrapped around the Volts 3 horizontal fins secure the grill to the car. The license plate bracket adds more support in the center.

When I originally installed the license plate holder I used some black plastic plugs used for installing Chevy interior body panels. These allow the license bracket to be removable (pull out the center pin) which made working on the air intake much easier.

I had some expanded metal lath left over from a masonry project, so this seemed a good use for it. I made a cut out pattern in Adobe Illustrator for the ends of the screen and bought a $12 roll of door edging from the local auto parts store to trim the metal edges. Some white plastic wire ties wrapped around the Volts 3 horizontal fins secure the grill to the car and allow removal when needed. My prototype is finished. I'll likely paint it flat black. Or not.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some other pics. I printed out the end pattern (the PDF file below), cut it out and used it to cut the wire lath at both ends. The screen is 37" long and 4.375" tall. It has a hexagonal wire pattern similar to the pattern on the Volt's grill.

View attachment Front Air Intake Screen Pattern.pdf DSC07489.jpg DSC07492.jpg DSC07504.jpg

The lath can be sharp after being cut with a metal shears.

The bottom plastic edging I rough cut to 38", the top I rough cut to 44" then trimmed afterwards. Stores sell a pair of 27" long edging for $4, and I'd need $8 worth, so I got the 18' roll instead for $12. That's plenty to do another in case I messed up.

Attaching the plastic edge trim was a pain. The metal lathe is not a flat surface. I finally hammered a 3/8" strip of the edge flat. It still took a bit of jiggering to slip the edge into the edging slit edge but with some patience it went it. I then tightly pressed the edging onto the screen (it has a bit of sticky glue inside).

With the edge on, I carefully started bending the screen outward and test fitting to the car. I'd like a better way of attaching than using the nylon zip ties, but they are cheap, durable, and easily removed if needed.

Here is another option:
http://www.cloud-rider.com/market/index/page/grills

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When removing my front air dam, I looked at doing something similar. Still considering it. Nice job!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Are you concerned that the screen will reduce the air flow? Even very light screens cut airflow significantly.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are you concerned that the screen will reduce the air flow? Even very light screens cut airflow significantly.
It will reduce the airflow to some degree. But air is also being rammed in at highway speeds.

Balance this against all the stuff already getting plastered to your radiator fins that reduce airflow, plus the negative affect of having stones create areas of no airflow due to mashed fins. After 28k miles I could see my radiator is already taking damage. Then take into consideration the odd radiator killing stone that may be caught or slowed down by a screen like this and I think it's more helpful than hurtful.

It's certainly very important to keep something like this clean. Regular washing with a hose is a must to prevent buildup of moths, paper, cottonwood seeds, etc. But I wash the car weekly anyway.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Weather got warmer so I painted my radiator rock screen a satin black. The side view image shows my high tech fastening method, haha. Cheap, weather proof, easily removed and replaced.

Volt Air Intake Grill-front.jpg Volt Air Intake Grill-Side.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a black metal mesh rain gutter cover (36"X5") from Lowes ($3), cut to fit, edged with 1/16" rubber speaker grill trim available from eBay (~10$) and mounted it with zip ties. The mesh openings are a bit smaller than lath and the mesh cutting requires sharp tin snips or wire cutters but with Steverino's template should be easy to do.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another thread on this sort of radiator damage showed up today- I'm heading to the hardware store this weekend to make a steverino screen....
I'm pretty sure mine is helping due to the chipped paint I see here and there. If all it does is reduce the momentum of a rock so it looses some impact speed, I'm happy.

Also, check out this FAQ about intake screen options: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?110722-Radiator-Protector-Air-Intake-Grill-Guard-Mods

1 - 12 of 12 Posts