GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a set of Michelin MXM4s from Costco about 2 months ago. They are definitely quieter than the stock FuelMax tires, but I'm getting 4-6 miles less range. They are marketed with Michelin's 'Green-X' as low rolling resistance tires, but I'm not happy. I'm keeping them at 40 psi minimum, the Goodyears were always kept at 38.

It makes me crazy because my round-trip to work and back is 37.5 miles, and now I'm having to hypermile to get back home without using fuel. If my commute was shorter, or longer, it wouldn't bother me as much, but I like using most of the battery for the commute, and I HATE having the engine come on for the last mile home. Grrr...

I can make someone a great deal (or trade?) on these tires. The FuelMax tires aren't great handlers, and they are noisier, but I never had any real problem with them, and they lasted 50,000 miles.

Has anyone purchased tires that actually increased range? Or are the FuelMax the best we can do (for efficiency)? If I can dump these tires, I will likely go back to the stock Goodyears.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had reduced mileage from a set of Michelins on an ICE car. It went away after about 5000 miles. You are going to lose on this deal so maybe just see if it improves with some miles.

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
I see the same kind of mileage drop with snow tires on my Volt. The tires and the wheels they are mounted on are heavier, and the aggressive tread is definitely not "low rolling resistance", haha. But I was happy to replace them with the OEM tires/wheels ASAP. My battery mile range immediately jumped up.

Have you checked the weight of the Michelin MXM4s? At 24 lbs it looks like they are 4 lbs heavier than the OEM Goodyears.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I put the MXV4s on my Volt, the range reduction was painful at first, but now it is climbing back up there. My original tires had a problem with all four wearing unevenly. Replaced one due to sidewall delamination that was common of them. I'll probably never put the original tires back on it, I'll find something else that works.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Likely due to the release compound still on the tread. Most, if not all tires, tend to not perform as advertised until a bit of burn-in, and up to a certain point. Tires also gain a bit more traction and response as it gets closer to EOL due to the lower tread depth, or lack of it in some sections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts