GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Folks, I am definitely wanting an LTZ model to get the heated leather seats and sound system. I also am drawn to the siren red, yet haven't seen it in person. Does it look as good in person as online? Also I was told by Chevy that the premier paints are a higher quality and will last longer. Can you really tell?

Other options make me wonder what is really worth it. Such as I wonder how helpful the illuminated charger is?? Looks great and I am a sucker for lights. I bet I will get the Ambient lighting. But would love to hear from Volt owners what options really are worth it in the long run.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recommendation

Hi,

I just got a Gen 2 Volt with both Driver Confidence options and I recommend them. I also worked in an auto plant's paint shop and I seriously doubt if there is any difference in the paint on the base model and the Premier.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Jernigan,

The LTZ (Premier) trim line is very nice, however you can also add heated leather seats, Bose, illuminated charge port, ambient lighting, and red paint to the LT model. You do need to upgrade to the LTZ if you want to add navigation, the two tone black/brandy leather, the blue accent lighting on the doors, heated rear seats, or the driver confidence packages.

I've seen the siren red tintcoat in person and it looks fantastic. No joke- the red is just right. To my eye, the red on the Chevy website looks slightly more pink than it looks like in person.

Choosing options comes down to a balance between need, taste, and budget. Paint color, lighting, heated leather, and Bose are all sensory or cosmetic options. There are also some appealing safety and technology options available as well but only can be added to the Premier trim: rear cross-traffic alert, lane keep assist, automatic parallel-parking, emergency braking, blind zone warning, Intellibeam, and navigation. These are grouped into the two driver confidence packages, except nav which is a la carte. For the 2017 model year adaptive cruise control will be a new option.

If this is to be your 50th birthday present to yourself, I'd say go for it and get it loaded up if you have the budget to do so. Get all the bells whistles and pretty lights because it sounds like you're a car guy who will enjoy and appreciate all of it. In 1966 disc brakes, air conditioning and cruise control were the fancy big options, and we had plans to put a man on the moon. Fast-forward 50 years to 2016 and this is one of the most technologically advanced automobiles ever produced (2nd to Tesla), and we're planning to colonize Mars. Freakin' Mars, man. In 50 years you've witnessed an explosion of science and technology and the birth of the information age. You should have every funky cool feature you can load it up with to celebrate the awesomeness of your 2016 milestone birthday. You turn 50 once.:cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Once you add Driver Confidence I and II, which are great, the others don't cost much. I have the all-weather mats, charge door light, and the cargo net. The mats are essential just to be able to clean out every day dirt. Chevy's mats may not be as big as Weathertech's, but they are really sharp looking. The light is neat also and now that I know how to use the net, I really like having it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Folks, I am definitely wanting an LTZ model to get the heated leather seats and sound system. I also am drawn to the siren red, yet haven't seen it in person. Does it look as good in person as online? Also I was told by Chevy that the premier paints are a higher quality and will last longer. Can you really tell?
Premium paints are worth it, imo and I especially like the tricoats, the white diamond on our '13 Volt, almost 41k miles, held up very well. We had crystal red on our '11 Cruze and it was definitely a better paint, worth the extra charge.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did not get the illuminated charge port (yet as my dealer will install later) and O really miss it. It annoys the hell it of me to plug in the dark as it's not quick or easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Premium tricoat paint looks great and so is the price tag to repair it for a fender bender. But I seriously doubt it lasts longer than the standard paints. Sounds like he's found a good line to help part customers from their money. Have him show you the studies that back up his statement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took a week or so to really be honest with myself and figure out what I truly wanted.

For me, I really wanted heated seats (I have a bad back, and the wife's heated seats feel great).
The driver confidence packages are cool...but I've done without them for this long and never had any issues (knock on wood)
Leather vs cloth? Leather is way easier to clean...but our last vehicle had leather seats and they ended up cracking etc. so I would assume there is preventative maintenance to avoid that from happening in my next vehicle with leather.
Bose? Eh....I commute with other people (slugs) so I typically just have the news on, so not really taking advantage of any super sound system.
Parallel Park assist? I grew up in NJ so I now how to parallel park and have been doing so for many years.
My current car is black, and I felt the blue was a bit to bright and if I was going to go red I'd prefer a darker more maroon color.

So in the end I went with the black base model with the heated seats upgrade. The interior is the dark ash/light ash.

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered red. It was the color that caught my eye first. but i have to say after seeing it on other gm models (cruze) it scares me because the color is a bit schitsophrenic. In the sun, it is a red like in the pictures but a tone darker, but in the shade it leans to a deeper dark red and indoors and at night it looks burgundy. The burgundy effect is very rich to me and how the color suits the car shape seems good, so i am taking the chance. on it.

That being said, i found black to make the car look like many hondas and hyundai's on the road, white too difficult to clean, blue too neon and grey very blah with a tinge of green in it. So in spite of my hesitation, red became the last of my choices!

here are pics of the car i took when i saw ir being PDI'd inside a dealer garage. it is quite different than how it might look in sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I originally wanted the blue. But when we saw the red at the dealership, it was just stunning. So that is what we bought. It is a dark metallic, almost burgundy color. Ours has the brandy interior. However I could see others liking the all black interior better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, that red is pretty sharp...much different than it looks on the website IMO.

I'd definitely reconsider but of course to get the red I'd have had to upgrade to an LTZ.
As far as the honda/hundai argument, I don't really mind if it saves me 5-6K ;)

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
139 Posts
as for options, my logic is that if i'm going ltz, then i should spend the extra $'s and load the toys in it.
i only drew the line at NAV. $600 seems like alot of money for an app to be loaded on to the tablet screen.
it's not like the tablet screen is upgraded or different. just a software download to it. a bit too pricey i think.

especially since i can use android auto(eventually) or carplay or mirrorlink to my phone.
I think my phone map updates much more frequently than the nav in the car.

That being said, having nav built in is a convenience over plugging usb into my phone while in the wireless charging port (redundant); and certainly if i am driving and forgot to plug it in and decide i needed nav.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi,

I just got a Gen 2 Volt with both Driver Confidence options and I recommend them. I also worked in an auto plant's paint shop and I seriously doubt if there is any difference in the paint on the base model and the Premier.
+1. After test driving this vehicle, I realized that the blind spot on this vehicle was a bit more than existing small SUV and the D1 coincidence package would be something I needed. The D2 option, I wasn't so sure about. In the end, I opted for both D1 & D2 and I'm glad I did because the D2 features which include the lane keep assist and front collision alert have helped already a couple times in just one week of driving. So I recommend them if their is your budget.

As others have mentioned, some of the options can be added later at the dealership if your budget is tight when you buy, so consider that part in your buying decision.

As for the speakers, I think the Bose sound great but I thought the LT speakers were good, so it depends on your needs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
true. the grey in fact is more sophisticted looking, but a darker shade would make it richer.
finally i forgot to mention silver. it is a good allround alternative but not sure it does justice to the car.

I figure if i am making a statement to go electric, i may as well let the car stand out.

·
Banned
398 Posts
I have the Premier with the D1 package. I use a nav app on my phone so I didn't want the Chevy nav. The leather seats are a must. I am not sure I would have missed anything in the D2 package. If D2 has adaptive/following/distance-maintaining cruise control, then it would be worth it for me. I do not think it does.

·
Banned
398 Posts
Oh, and I wanted the red with the two-tone. After seeing the red in person I was disappointed. It's more like a maroon. The blue is beautiful but blue is a color that I can hate some days so I didn't want that. The silvers look really nice but I had a silver car before. I do love white when it has a lot of black trim and the Volt has a lot of black trim so I went with that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, @Jernigan...I was like you and had specific wants in the car (blind spot indicator) and had thoughts on a color but wasn't sure. The blind spot indicator is only in the driver confidence 1 package so that would force a move to LTZ. Since I was working against the clock (having to turn in my gen 1 lease this month), I was getting any recalls addressed at the dealer when a shipment of 2016's came in that first week! Being the smart orderers they are, most of what they had were loaded cars (i.e. more than what I wanted or needed) - so I was able to drive the car to assess whether or not I needed the blind spot feature. (It just makes me feel better even though I still turn my head!)

As for the lights, I don't have the illuminated charge port but that doesn't bother me. The car has a LOT of lights already so you may be ok with the doors and dash lights but you won't know until you see it (like everything else, really!)

As for colors, that's such a personal choice. I was turning in a diamond tricoat white 2013 and really liked that color. I only saw a few of the colors and opted for the heather grey as I like the different tones (which others don't like but to each his/her own.) I did see a siren red on the street yesterday and it looks nice too... just not a color I would choose. We still noticed one another and shared a smile and wave! :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would love adaptive to be an upgrade we can get in the future, same with lane "holdong" (not just when you're about to cross)

I really love the lane keeping and brake warning. Has been helpful many times.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi, @Jernigan...I was like you and had specific wants in the car (blind spot indicator) and had thoughts on a color but wasn't sure. The blind spot indicator is only in the driver confidence 1 package so that would force a move to LTZ. Since I was working against the clock (having to turn in my gen 1 lease this month), I was getting any recalls addressed at the dealer when a shipment of 2016's came in that first week! Being the smart orderers they are, most of what they had were loaded cars (i.e. more than what I wanted or needed) - so I was able to drive the car to assess whether or not I needed the blind spot feature. (It just makes me feel better even though I still turn my head!)

As for the lights, I don't have the illuminated charge port but that doesn't bother me. The car has a LOT of lights already so you may be ok with the doors and dash lights but you won't know until you see it (like everything else, really!)

As for colors, that's such a personal choice. I was turning in a diamond tricoat white 2013 and really liked that color. I only saw a few of the colors and opted for the heather grey as I like the different tones (which others don't like but to each his/her own.) I did see a siren red on the street yesterday and it looks nice too... just not a color I would choose. We still noticed one another and shared a smile and wave! :)
I also bought the Heather gray with the 2 driver safety packages and NAV [wife wanted it, I didn't]. The leather leathers [my first time] are great for cleaning up the crumbs from grandkids eating their snacks. The safety features are the biggest pluses for driving and backing up in the the crowded streets of San Francisco. Never had heated seats or wheel in a car, and never thought I needed them. But, the seats are toasty to sit on, even in the temperate climes here. The other stuff can I buy separately if necessary.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts