GM Volt Forum banner

Must have Mods for Bolt EV

40K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  vaylen 
#1 ·
I am starting my Mods List for my Bolt. Here are my first, most important Items. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks of anything I have missed.

I thought it would need headlight improvements, however it says it comes with HID headlights/projectors already, so maybe it will be significantly better than the Volt.

1. Homelink. This is available aftermarket, with the same three buttons, and should be fairly easy install, hopefully in overhead console.

2. Spare tire. (If not available from Chevrolet) Also small jack and tools.

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.

#2 ·
#5 ·
Scarlett, it looks like GM has outfitted the Bolt with a "Boltshelf" already. But Boltscreen will surely be needed!

High quality tint for sure. And at least for me, a hitch receiver.

#8 ·
It'll be quite expensive to install an OEM looking garage door opener into the overhead console...Assuming you don't get the Premier, swapping for an Gentex mirror with homelink is the way to go...

FRS is 5x100; unfortunately the Bolt along with the Volt and Cruze, they're 5x105 which is not a popular size...Finding affordable and lightweight wheels will be difficult...Racers have been known to re-drill the hubs without issues but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig here...A solution could be to downsize to 16" steelies assuming their affordable and get yourself a set of race only tires...

#9 ·
Scarlett, once you get to see a Bolt EV Premier, might want to look into making some sort of roof rack clips that would allow you to install universal rack accessories...

#10 ·

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.
If you can find some 17x8 wheels or 18x8 wheels, you might try BFG Rival S which are 200 TW and work good for AX. They warm up quick, but don't get greasy. And they stick. Depending on your rulebook, you might be able to run these in Stock classes. I used their earlier version the Rival (no S), on the Volt and they made a huge difference.

These are not good street tires though. They don't last and are not designed for standing water.

#11 ·
Roof rails and a box.

#12 ·
Heatshield. Also have the car professionally paint corrected and Opticoated.

#15 ·
GoalZero rechargeable flashlight, with USB ports, hand cranks, and solar panel (my daughter calls it the zombie apocalypse flashlight)

#16 ·
How come nobody mentioned a gunrack?

#22 ·
Leather Hand Material property Textile Car seat

My Bolt went straight from the dealer (after installation of some Nokian Hakkapeliita R2s on the stock wheels) to the mod shop.

The overly large stick on gold branding on the back window was the first to go. The front one's getting blackened at least. (I don't wear shirts with big logos on them either).

The stock stereo is even more laughable than expected, but planned to rip that out anyway. New speakers are in and connected via the stock system, sub box for the rear non-spare tire well / wasted cargo space area. Have no idea why the cargo space isn't maximized better without a spare. There is also extensive wasted space around the non-tire well, the cargo space in this thing could be yuuuge. Plenty of space for an AWD controller module for V.2!

The front seats have definite issues for many, including my wife and other passengers, and are currently getting modified with some extra high density foam in the lower lateral bolsters, lumbar, and upper lateral bolsters. If you are small or medium frame, this may not be as necessary for your spousal satisfaction, but your rib cage and cheeks are essentially touching the hard plastic frames. I'm not overly picky about seat comfort, and even I'm not sure how they got these seats out of committee. Don't sign for a Bolt until you've sat in one. Luckily it's easy enough to modify. The seat mods I'm doing don't impede at all on interior space, or airbags, and add less weight than I removed from the ridiculous foam space waster they fill the non-spare tire well with. You can see in my pic the spot that's most uncomfortable for standard sized Americans, along with the middle of your rib cage. More to follow.

Tinting done.

Wheels for summer tires to follow.

Suspension - planning on a modest 1-1.5" drop, depending on measured clearance once all the snow melts!

#31 ·
Bolts all come with a fabric cargo cover standard. Similar in nature to the one that comes with the Volt, but this one does raise and lower with the hatch. The BoltShelf will be a more substantial solution for folks like me that just can't take what comes with the car. The stock one will be fine for some, but a number of folks have already been asking me for an upgrade. I just did the final fitting today and the BoltShelf will give more coverage, better appearance, better functionality, custom choices, and more durability. Like the VoltShelf, I think it will be an important accessory for many BoltOwners.

#36 · (Edited)
In the category of "must-have," the footrest/deadpedal/carpet protector:
That looks way more practical than the plastic decals they call sill protectors.

Here's a very simply addition I made for Homelink garage opener. Hard to call it a mod, but it's working great and only took 2 seconds. Two of these min-remotes came with my opener. They have a steel spring clip on the back. I simply slipped it over the plastic housing. Option 2 is to remove the clip and use velcro, but so far this works fine.

Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Auto part Family car

#41 ·
I'm thinking about designing something (and 3D printing it) that fits in the center console to hold my phone. I have an LT, so I don't get the nifty phone holder that comes in the Premier . . . I almost wonder if I could buy the Premeir parts to modify mine . . . hmmm . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.