GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone getting a musky smell comming from their A/C unit. It started a few days ago. I have advised my chevy volt advisor and awaiting his reply. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues .. We have 2 volts and it is the same on both of them.
Running the car does not make any differance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There were several long threads here on this subject in the last year. The Volt is not unique in this regard, most cars have the same problem, to one degree or another.

The smell is caused by water condensing on the AC coils. When you chill air, it lowers it's ability to hold water. Law of physics, not much can be done about that. Mold grows in the condensed water, producing the musky smell.

You can reduce or prevent the mold from growing by blowing most or all the water out of the AC system by turning the AC off about 5 minutes before reaching your destination. Keep the fan on, even run it at a higher rate.

One other thing. Check to make sure that the floor carpet in front of the front seats and under the dash is completely dry. If it is wet after running your AC, you might have a pinched AC drain hose, which will make the collected water condensation even worse.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
also get an air filter (see othere postings) I got the two stage pollen filter one from Amazon with the activate carbon.

I think it even sucked up the new car smell. You could really tell the differance the next day.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Two cars? the only common thing is where you park them, how is the moisture in the garage? is it ventilated?

·
Registered
196 Posts
"You can reduce or prevent the mold from growing by blowing most or all the water out of the AC system by turning the AC off about 5 minutes before reaching your destination. Keep the fan on, even run it at a higher rate."

Good advice KMG. I've done this with all my vehicles over the years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have had the same problem with my Volt AC off and on for a year. Dealer attempted a fix, but the mildew smell came back next time I used the AC. Very frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts