GM Volt Forum banner

Musk: ‘Hyperloop’ Tranport Plans Next Month

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mk2 
#1 ·
Tesla Motors Inc. will release designs next month for a system he has said would be capable of whisking people from Los Angeles to San Francisco via a tube.

Musk said Hyperloop would consist of some sort of tube that would carry people from downtown San Francisco to Los Angeles in 30 minutes, or more than twice as fast as airplane travel, at less than the cost of high-speed rail. He called the solar-powered system the “fifth mode of transportation,” after trains, planes, automobiles and boats.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...plan-to-annouce-hyperloop-transit-system.html

#2 ·
A couple of corrections,

Tesla Motors is not releasing anything to do with the Hyperloop. Elon Musk is, outside of his role as Tesla's CEO and founder.

Elon is not releasing plans to build the Hyperloop, he is unveiling his concept of how it could be done. He has specifically stated that he has no plans to build it and is releasing it in an open source format, for anyone to pursue if they want to.

#9 ·
Well without the announcement, it's tough to tell for sure, but the main difference is that banks use a "still air" tube, whereas the hyperloop is rumored to either be a vacuum tube or evacuated air tube, meaning the air would either be absent or moving at high speed.

#4 · (Edited)
It reminds me of an old, old, movie from 1935, "Transatlantic Tunnel" where a man proposes to build a tunnel from the UK to the USA

Engineers Richard McAllan and Frederick Robinson manage to get financial backing for a gigantic project to build a tunnel from England to America. His biggest supporter is Varlia Lloyd, daughter of one of the backers, and she uses her influence more than once to keep the project going. Mack's wife Ruth is also supportive, although his constantly being away on the tunnel project strains their marriage, and affects his relationship with their son. After years of financial skulduggery and physical obstacles under the ocean floor, the tunnel proceeds as Mack's marriage and his friendship with Robbie deteriorate

#5 ·
Hasn't that company in Colorado been trying that for years, they haven't set up a 3 mile test loop yet even... ET3 I think is the name.

MrEnergyCzar

#6 ·
Gee thanks Elon. I wonder if he has sent a copy to Jerry Brown? Maybe it would cause him to think twice before he bankrupts the state with his "bullet train" fantasies. This sounds like something that would really work for Governor Moonbeam, LOL.

And yes, with apologies to CaptJack, I do live in Brokeazz CA.

#8 ·
I'd hate to be on the downhill leg of that hyperloop when a major earthquake occurred...:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.