GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2015 Volt for about a year. The ICE range has never reached what my MY2013 would get. When I fill up the tank the computer only registers about 245 mile vs 280 for my departed 2013. At first I thought because I have mostly electric miles it was taking the computer time to adjust. After a year I would have expected the MPG to get better. Any ides?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I average 47 mpg while on ice, the guessmeter doesn't help just like in EV mode.
The only real stats are on the center console when checking kWh used and also you can check the ice stats.
I am averaging real world 115 mpg combined EV/and ice.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Gas range estimates are influenced by the actual gas mileage you get when using the ICE. These tend to increase in accuracy the more you use the ICE to drive far enough to properly warm it up, not just for EMMs or those final 1 or 2 miles home when the battery runs out. You indicate you have mostly electric miles. I suspect your 2015 AER is higher than the 2013 AER, indicating fewer occasions when the battery runs out and you actually use the ICE, or when it does, you’re closer to home, leaving even less time for the ICE to properly warm up. This, in turn, would tend to lower the gas range estimates.

Next time you actually use the ICE, you could reset Trip Counter A or B after the ICE is running to get a quick check of your actual gas mpg. Multiply that by the remaining volume of gas will allow you to evaluate the accuracy of the displayed gas range estimate vs how far you could likely drive if you kept driving down the road with a warmed-up ICE.

·
4,850 Posts
When your engine runs on the 2015, how long does it run for? If for some reason your trips on gas are shorter, the engine never has time to warm up to optimal temperature, and the results will appear to be worse gas mileage. But it's worse because you use the engine less and save more gas, not because it's getting worse gas mileage at optimal temperatures/long trips.

Just one potential thought.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The gas estimate is often very pessimistic.
I filled up a few weeks back and it said "540" km

I drove 300km on "250km" of it - over 10% better.

If it's bad when you actually DO drive that far and don't get good mileage, you might begin to check various components of the system are working correctly. But I suspect if you left now and drove until empty, you'd probably still get your 280, even though it says 245 initially.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Can confirm that the ICE guesser is, if anything, less accurate than the electric guesser. When I arrived home after my last gas-using trip, the odometer said "1.8 gallons used" and the range guess say 325 miles. Today, the odometer panel says 1.8 gallons used and the range claim is 288 miles. Yesterday, it was 291.

·
Registered
208 Posts
when I use my ice it is on the interstate or state hiway travelling out of town
mostly I travel about 130 miles from my home on the east coast of florida to tampa
I use ev miles until I get to the city limits then switch to hold mode until I reach tampa,then ev mode until I leave to head home
I average 47 mpg on ice

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
In my experience, the gasoline "guessometer" resets after every restart, and it is based on the last recorded fuel economy. So yes, it is even more inaccurate than the battery "guessometer."

My MY2015 also is reporting worse gas mileage than my MY2012 did, but I had about three times as many miles on my 2012 (and more highway).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I know your pain, 33mpg is typical if I go 70mph just on gas on a long trip.

My car can get great mpgs but only going slow, never could figure out why my 2013 gets low gas mpg above 55mph but electrical is fine.

I've even found other folks driving the same car on the same route to the same destination beat me.

It's not due to premium or speed, something is just different about my car. And yes lots of gas miles to get the motor wore in.

I've often wondered if brakes were hung up or if alignment was off but it's hard to say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts